What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Shopping & totally confused! Thoughts on these spas?  (Read 19773 times)

BethS

Shopping & totally confused! Thoughts on these spas?
« on: May 08, 2014, 11:19:16 pm »
We are new to purchasing a hot tub.  Trying to be responsible consumers, we have read everything we can find,  wet tested Caldera, Hot Springs and Vita Maax.  Have checked into Sundance, but no wet test.   All the sales folks have their spin of course on why theirs is the best.  This is the most confusing item we have ever shopped for.  Can anyone share their pros/con's on any or all of these distributors?  Thanks!

Hot Tub Forum

Shopping & totally confused! Thoughts on these spas?
« on: May 08, 2014, 11:19:16 pm »

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
Re: Shopping & totally confused! Thoughts on these spas?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2014, 11:38:23 pm »
Out of all those I like the sundance the best. That's my opinion, others will say caldera or hot springs. Those 3 are at the top side from a quality standpoint with vita more of a step down from those brands. I bet the pricing reflects that. I would say the most important thing would be the dealer. Do any of the dealers stick out more then the others?

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2014, 07:16:41 am »
Yea I wouldn't even put Maxx in the same league as those others but that's just my opinion. I bet it is also the least expensive. Or it gives you more flash for the same money.
Retired

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2014, 10:35:49 am »
Welcome to the hot tub shopping process.  Check out reviews.  Do you have friends with a spa?  What confusing stories have you been told. Most pros here will tell you Hot Spring, Caldera and Sundance are top tier brands.
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

dunecritter

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2014, 10:52:22 am »
I own and sell Hot Spring, but with that said...I've also owned a Sundance OPTIMA and still own a Maax in one of my rentals (will eventually swap it out for a Hot Springs or a Juccuzzi that I also own at another home) and the Caldera is manufactured by Watkins (Hot Spring).

I've owned the Maax for a year before the problems came on such as 4 leaks, 1 heater replacement and one of the two pumps replaced. This was all over the 9 years of ownership. That's not all that bad for a tub that retails for $7-8K. Its not exactly the best tub but surely not the worst. I really have no complaints about it for what I paid VS the longevity and said repairs that were performed. My biggest gripe with (Maax) is it's water filtration was not very good and the leaks get to be a drag. Leaks are never any fun if the tub needs to be lifted or repositioned to access.

Sundance: The OPTIMA was supposed to be a solid unit and I paid a lot for it...but I personally had very bad luck with mine...I believe mine was just one of those destined to give me issues tubs and I don't discredit Sundance as a manufacture just for my Lemon. Sundance stood behind the tub for warranty every time I had an issue. That's the important part! The tub was eventually replaced under warranty after a few pumps and 2 topside controllers failed and eventually got a lot of cosmetic shell crazing. Everything was handled professionally and under warranty except when the tub was replaced I was responsible for the labor and shipping costs (Just under $1000 bucks total). I sold the home soon after the replacement was received and never heard of how the new tub faired out.

I've owned a Hot Springs VISTA model for seven years and I've never had an issue with that tub the entire 7 years. I replaced it with a new 2013 GRANDEE and I also had no issues but only owned it for half a year and had to buy the latest greatest 2104 GRANDEE as it was totally redesigned and had new whistles and bells. I just got it yesterday so nothing to report yet. I know I sell Hot Springs now and you might discredit this posting because of it but I owned the HS VISTA seven years before ever having anything to do with Hot Spring sales. I believe its one of the VERY best money can buy...along with a few others that I give credit (Sundance and Jacuzzi) and I've also owned 2 Jacuzzis and still have one of those 2.
The Hot Spring then Calderra then Sundance and lastly the Maax is the order I would put them in from a quality arrangement but cost is another whole issue.

BethS

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2014, 10:12:03 pm »
Thank you to everyone that has responded!  All of your input is very helpful.  One reason the Maax was attractive was the metal framing rather than wood on the others, but it sounds like the other issues offset this possible benefit.

dunecritter

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2014, 11:57:38 pm »
Thank you to everyone that has responded!  All of your input is very helpful.  One reason the Maax was attractive was the metal framing rather than wood on the others, but it sounds like the other issues offset this possible benefit.

Just to note...The steel frame on my maax is about rusted through at 9 years old...I would say that even though the steel seems "Tough" at first thought...think about it...The steel frame is constructed from basic Galvanized metal and will give and flex a bit more offering less structural support if ever placed on uneven surfaces VS the treated wood and full High Density foam construction of the Hot Spring High Life products. Some of the Hot Spring tubs can even be shimmed level with its super rigid construction...But I'm about to dump the Maax the next time it has a breakdown ... at the age it is now I will not repair it any longer. Besides I have access to better units now.

My Opinion is...The frame construction should not be your deciding factor  as both constructions will most likely outlive the life of the spa as a whole unit....But then again my experience is in the greenbelt climate and we just don't have the water exposure that some climates do.
The Maax... IF....key word...IF is a lot less $$ isn't a bad product if a 10 year lifespan is in your sights. We all have to live within our budgets!
« Last Edit: May 10, 2014, 12:11:36 am by dunecritter »

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2014, 06:59:25 am »

Did the MAXX salesman tell you metal framing was better?

I'm on my third metal BBQ grill on the same wooden deck.
Retired

TwinCitiesHotSpring

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2014, 10:53:00 am »

Did the MAXX salesman tell you metal framing was better?

I'm on my third metal BBQ grill on the same wooden deck.

If I use this during a sales presentation do I have to follow it up with "copyright Tman122"  ;D ;D

but seriously composite, maintanence free, plastic, and steel are not necessary in a hottub and should be the last thing your worried about when making a purchase (esp. if your buying a high end spa from a reputable manufacturer) is the frame...Hot Spring, Sundance, Jacuzzi, Marqius have built spas for 25+ years with wood frames...tons of them in the field are still 15+ years old and all of sudden because of the availability of composite materials now wood is the worst thing in the world? lol ya ok...I also have some oceanside property in South Dakota I want to sell you
« Last Edit: May 10, 2014, 10:55:16 am by TwinCitiesHotSpring »

rosewoodsteel

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2014, 03:16:00 pm »
The frame on my previous tub was wood and it rotted out at the base and was termite infested.  I can understand the  concern over frame materials.  Galvanized metal, however, will rust and "rot" out over time.  I would look for frames made of rot/pest resistant wood (cedar for example), aluminum or composite type materials. 

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2014, 06:41:31 pm »

If I use this during a sales presentation do I have to follow it up with "copyright Tman122"  ;D ;D

Nahhhh it's all yours.

Truth of the matter is. Steel is NOT better than wood. As good maybe but not better. Protecting what ever material your frame and cabinet are made of is what's important.

Put a metal beam out in the swamp along side a treated wood stud of the same dimensions and see which lasts longer. You won't care after 20 years and they will both be there. But put a 2x4 in the swamp along side the 20 ga. galv. metal stud with holes punched in it and the cut marks exposed and the metal will disappear before the 2x4 is starting to rot.
Retired

dunecritter

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2014, 07:16:47 pm »

Nahhhh it's all yours.

Truth of the matter is. Steel is NOT better than wood. As good maybe but not better. Protecting what ever material your frame and cabinet are made of is what's important.

Put a metal beam out in the swamp along side a treated wood stud of the same dimensions and see which lasts longer. You won't care after 20 years and they will both be there. But put a 2x4 in the swamp along side the 20 ga. galv. metal stud with holes punched in it and the cut marks exposed and the metal will disappear before the 2x4 is starting to rot.

That's the best point Tman...most don't realize the punched holes and cut ends are not protected by Galv. coating and the rust starts there and spreads like wild fire. Most think that the wood used in a hot tub construction is just basic 2x4 studs vs treated 2x4's with chemical products to hinder bugs and rot...Just like every home here in AZ. built with wood construction actually has to have chemically treated wood as the base on the footings and then basic non treated wood from there up. I'm not sure if all manufactures use treated wood in the tubs construction but some do.
As a former contractor I've used a lot of different materials from wood, Composite (Trex), and steel. There is a place for them all and they all have their positive benefits for different purposes.

rosewoodsteel

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2014, 07:27:33 pm »
Do the major manufacturers use pressure treated 2x4s for their frames?

BethS

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2014, 08:08:46 pm »
OK!  Something new to add to the mix!  We looked at a new dealer today and he carries Master Spas.  We looked at the Twilight series.  Thoughts on Master Spas vs the others we had been looking at (Hot Springs, Caldera and Sundance).  You all have convinced me, it will not be a Maax.

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2014, 08:13:06 pm »
 Hopefully we can convince you not to buy a Master spa now...   ;)

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2014, 08:13:06 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42