What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Sunrise Spas  (Read 14207 times)

Lionheart_CHP

Sunrise Spas
« on: May 04, 2014, 08:44:55 am »
I'm looking for people's knowledge and experience with Sunrise Spas.  It seems they are a Canadian brand and are very popular in Canada and the UK.  They tout themselves as the "Spa of Choice" for Mike Holmes.  I'm sure he endorses them because they're Canadian, but if he's true to his TV persona, they must be built right.

Here's a little background on my search and what I'm looking at specifically.

You may have read or commented on my shopping between Jacuzzi and Bullfrog - I appreciate everyone's input.  At the Bullfrog dealer, their secondary, and highest sales volume product line is Sunrise. They had a brand new 2014 S104 model just received in exactly the configuration we're looking for, a 7' non-lounger.  I had identified this spa as an option early on, but had neglected to follow up.  The Spa features two 2-speed pumps, UV system, Bluetooth Audio, LED jets, Balboa BP series controller, steel frame, and green Roxul insulation.  List price $7995 including delivery, lift, etcetera (supposed MSRP of 11k - yeah right), but I found one in NC for $6500 so that would be my starting offer.  Warranty is 7/5/3, a little less than the big boys.  Ozone and Recirc are options.

Pros for me -
both pumps are two speed
the LED package is the nicest I've seen
More jets than the Jacuzzi and Caldera I've looked at
Very satisfying wet test
Dealer is one that I'm comfortable with

Questions -
Reliability and reputation of Sunrise is an unknown for me
Warranty is a little less than the top tier Jacuzzis, but better than the bargain brands and lower tier Jacuzzis

Let me hear from you.  Thanks!

Hot Tub Forum

Sunrise Spas
« on: May 04, 2014, 08:44:55 am »

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
Re: Sunrise Spas
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2014, 08:32:17 pm »
I'm sure he endorses them because he gets PAID to, and his endorsement carries advertising weight and believably with Canadians.

Nothing more, nothing less.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

castletonia

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2014, 10:35:13 pm »
I sold Sunrise from 2011 until this spring when we brought on the Marquis line.  Overall, really didn't have any issues with Sunrise.  The Whitewater S104 was a good seller for us last year.  I'm not a fan of UV as I didn't see any benefit from it on my floor model compared to one without.  Keep in mind you will need to replace the UV bulb every year or so.  My only real complaint is I think the filtration is sub-par with the single filter. 

As for price, unless the pricing changed from last year to this year, I would not expect $6500, more likely $7200-$7500, but each dealer has different margins based on overhead and their cost of doing business.  I have yet to see any reliability issues, but I also have nothing older than 3 years in the field.  Sunrise has been decent to deal with.  Nothing bad, but nothing to rave about either.  As for the Mike Holmes endorsement, I believe its nothing more than a paid endorsement, but I have no information to support or deny that belief.

Keep in mind with the warranty, it can be a reflection of quality, but also on how much money the company is budgeting for the warranty. 

If you are satisfied with the dealer and the wet test, then I think you have a solid product, just with a company less known than the others you are looking at.

Lionheart_CHP

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2014, 08:29:07 am »
Thanks Castletonia, great info.

Chartreux

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2014, 11:05:19 am »
I'm also looking at a Bullfrog model, and the warranty is somewhat disappointing compared to other's, plus the dealer said they had no way to purchase any extended warranty. Sure wish they had a way to pay up for a better warranty as the Bullfrog looks nice and the custom jets are a plus. My wet testing will come later after I've looked and gotten more info on hot tubs/spas.
Make sure to do the wet tests like the others recommend once you've got your search narrowed down. However, do go and ask dealers questions as well.
Bullfrog did tell me that my concrete slab needed to be at least 6 to 8 inches...and for my area I plan to have it in a screen in porched because of mosqitos.... 

Sam

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2014, 04:04:35 pm »
I'm also looking at a Bullfrog model, and the warranty is somewhat disappointing compared to other's, plus the dealer said they had no way to purchase any extended warranty. Sure wish they had a way to pay up for a better warranty as the Bullfrog looks nice and the custom jets are a plus. My wet testing will come later after I've looked and gotten more info on hot tubs/spas.
Make sure to do the wet tests like the others recommend once you've got your search narrowed down. However, do go and ask dealers questions as well.
Bullfrog did tell me that my concrete slab needed to be at least 6 to 8 inches...and for my area I plan to have it in a screen in porched because of mosqitos.... 

I am confused by this post.  Bullfrog's warranty is very competitive.  10 years shell structure, 7 years shell surface, 5 years electrical components and plumbing, lifetime frame and structure.

http://www.bullfrogspas.com/warranty

Additionally, you do not need a concrete pad for a Bullfrog Spa.  I have installed hundreds on simple gravel foundations.  The structural ABS base even allows for installations on compacted dirt, though I would not recommend it.

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2014, 04:16:49 pm »
Do people really buy extended warranties? They have the most profit of just about anything sold. I new one dealer that sold them, and FIFTY percent was profit that went in their pocket. That meant that the "insurance company" selling them, basically was "gambling" that for every $500 warranty sold, there would be LESS than $250 of necessary coverage expense ($500 for the warranty, 50% going into the dealers pocket, and of the remaining 50% [$250] the insurance company also derived a profit).
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Chartreux

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2014, 05:02:59 pm »
I was quoted "6 inch slab" by the BullFrog dealer in Clear Lake. My husband can verify this. Was just out there this past weekend.

Sam

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2014, 10:53:39 am »
I was quoted "6 inch slab" by the BullFrog dealer in Clear Lake. My husband can verify this. Was just out there this past weekend.

I'm not saying that they didn't tell you that, I'm just letting you know that it is not necessary.  It is certainly ok to do that, but if you have budgetary concerns you can always save a little with a gravel foundation.

Lionheart_CHP

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2014, 11:11:01 am »
HELP!! I've been hijacked!  ;)

So, any other opinions/experience with Sunrise?

Lionheart_CHP

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2014, 02:29:29 pm »
Deal done!  $6500+tax including delivery, setup, Trident UV, cover lifter, and chems.

Delivery will be mid-July as I'm building an extension to the house.

Chartreux

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2014, 02:10:14 pm »
Sorry about that, hope you get lots of happiness with your new tub, keep us posted on that.

Sam

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2014, 03:01:39 pm »
Yeah, congrats on the purchase!  Happy hot tubbing  8)

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2014, 03:01:39 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42