What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Jacuzzi J-345 versus Bullfrog R7  (Read 22615 times)

Lionheart_CHP

Jacuzzi J-345 versus Bullfrog R7
« on: April 29, 2014, 10:33:26 pm »
Hello all, new to the forum.  Been reading past posts with interest.

The wife and I are considering out first hot tub purchase so we have no experience to lean on.  We've pretty much narrowed our choices down to the Jacuzzi 345 and the Bullfrog R7 with the Caldera Salina as a longshot possibility at the moment.  Local quotes have been roughly $7500 on the J-345 and $9,000 on the Bullfrog R7.  I'd like to think I could get the Bullfrog down to the $7500 mark, but we'll have to wait and see.  Thoughts?  I'm happy with both dealers at this point.

We've wet tested the J-345 and enjoyed it, but not over-the-top impressed.  Hope to wet test a bullfrog in the next few weeks, although it will likely be a R7L not the R7.  I like the thought of sampling several jetpacks and choosing the exact configuration I want.

Pros/cons as I see them:
Bullfrog is customizable
J-345 has recirc pump standard.  Bullfrog does not but I think it's an option.
Bullfrog has two 2-speed pumps, J-345 has 1-speed pumps.  I think I'd enjoy running the R7 on low speed at times.
Bullfrog is 432 gallons versus 370 gallons in the Jacuzzi.  More interior space?
The foot dome in the J-345 is appealing, something not on the Bullfrog
The Jacuzzi has two 60ft^3 filters.  Not sure about the Bullfrog.  The Bullfrog filter is rinse-able, which seems like a pro AND a con.
Jacuzzi has LEDs topside in the cup holders whereas the Bullfrog does not.

I'm sure there are many more and I'd love to hear from your expertise!  (Jacuzzi Jim, did I see that you now sell both brands?)

Currently leaning to the Bullfrog assuming the price gets closer - but is there maybe room on the Jacuzzi price as well???

Thanks in advance for all feedback.

Chris

Hot Tub Forum

Jacuzzi J-345 versus Bullfrog R7
« on: April 29, 2014, 10:33:26 pm »

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
Re: Jacuzzi J-345 versus Bullfrog R7
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2014, 10:54:26 pm »
 Yes we sell both brands and they are both nice.    If they are selling a 2014 Jacuzzi for 7400.00 I would be all over that like a hot springs dealer on a salt system or crack many ways the same thing.  In other words, that's a really good deal on a J-345!   

I love the Bullfrog as it is unique in what it offers,  but the price in the Jacuzzi is very, very  good.    Have you tried a wet test yet on either?

Lionheart_CHP

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2014, 07:23:22 am »
I incorrectly mentioned above that we wet tested the J-345.  We actually tested the J-480. We enjoyed it, but were not over-the-top impressed. That leaves me a little concerned that the 345 will be a letdown. We hope to test the Bullfrog in a couple of weeks.

Obviously price will be a factor, but if that is equal I'm leaning Bullfrog at the moment.  As a seller of both, which features would you point to as a differentiator one way or the other.  I know Jacuzzi is a top brand and I believe Bullfrog to be one also, contrary to some of the comments made mostly by fanboys of other spas with no experience in the newer Bullfrogs.

The reduced plumbing appeals to me, as does the 2-speed pumps and flexibility.

Thanks for the reply. Any and all comments welcome.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2014, 07:25:05 am »
Welcome to the forum.  I can say I have sat in a Jacuzzi 345 and liked it very much.  I've never even sat in a bullfrog.  However some people will tell you the customization is over rated.  However, my first tub had jets that were movable and my dealer worked with me to get the jets I wanted in the places I wanted them and I ended up with a tub that was a great therapy tub and I had a spot in the tub where I could get therapy on about any part of my body. Its not the same concept as Bull frog, but in practice it has similarities.  OTOH, the movable jets did that tub in after 9 years as they wore out. 

My first tub did have one dual speed pump and we did like that.

Which ever way you go, I hope you will come back and tell us how it went.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2014, 09:15:46 am »
I incorrectly mentioned above that we wet tested the J-345.  We actually tested the J-480. We enjoyed it, but were not over-the-top impressed. That leaves me a little concerned that the 345 will be a letdown. We hope to test the Bullfrog in a couple of weeks.

Obviously price will be a factor, but if that is equal I'm leaning Bullfrog at the moment.  As a seller of both, which features would you point to as a differentiator one way or the other.  I know Jacuzzi is a top brand and I believe Bullfrog to be one also, contrary to some of the comments made mostly by fanboys of other spas with no experience in the newer Bullfrogs.

The reduced plumbing appeals to me, as does the 2-speed pumps and flexibility.

Thanks for the reply. Any and all comments welcome.

I don't sell Bullfrog nor have I seen any of their recent tubs other then at the national pool and spa shows.  But  to say that people that don't think highly of Bullfrog are only saying that because they are fan's of other tubs is dumb.  A few of the posters who don't like them on here are independant service techs who could care less what you buy.  I will say from the outside the bullfrogs looked sharp when I saw them.  They just don't have a track record like some of the bigger boys out there.  That price on that j-345 is great and the price on the bullfrog is what they go for in the Northeast where I'm from.  That particular Jacuzzi sells for around 9k up here

Topline Mike

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2014, 09:30:21 am »
I was in a Bullfrog A8.  I thought the jet packs were great.  I think Bullfrog has something like 12-15 jet packs to choose from.  I would be willing to bet that each dealer won't have all the jet packs available for your wet test.  It will be just the ones that are in the spa that you test.  I sure would think that having all on hand would help to make a sale, but I'm not a dealer and I don't know how all that works. 

Look at all the threads that are created about this vs. that.  Most of them are this vs. Jacuzzi.  My top choices were Marquis, Bullfrog, and Jacuzzi, and I now own a jacuzzi. 

Lionhart, you mentioned the bullfrog filter is rinseable?  Aren't they all? 

Quickbeam

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2014, 10:46:29 am »
We have just purchased our first hot tub and in fact are still awaiting delivery. As part of our deliberation we looked at a number of different tubs, including Bullfrog, Jacuzzi, Marquis and Sundance. They were all fine tubs. I do tend to think the Bullfrog selling point about being able to change out the jet packs is over rated. I have not previously owned a hot tub, so this is not from any kind of experience, but it just seems to me that once you get the jets you like, you are going to keep those, and if you want other jets you move to a different seat. That would be the same as you would do in any hot tub. I suppose the advantage with Bullfrog is that you get to initially pick your jets, but I just don’t see many people paying the extra money to buy extra jet packs. If memory serves they are not cheap. I did however, like the idea of less plumbing in the Bullfrog.
I will tell you the two things I learned from being on this forum. Wet test before you buy and find a dealer you can trust.
And for what it’s worth, I’ll share what my dealer told me. He is a Sundance / Jacuzzi dealer. I asked him if I was not buying Jacuzzi or Sundance, if he would recommend Bullfrog or Marquis. He told me that hands down, his choice between those two would be Marquis. And to make this even more confusing for you, there is another poster on this website who has previously owned two Marquis spas, and now owns and is happy with Bullfrog. Again, and I am repeating here, I think it comes down to finding a good, brand name tub, wet testing, and finding a dealer you can trust.
Good luck on your search.

Lionheart_CHP

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2014, 01:51:10 pm »
As expected, lots of good reports regarding the Jacuzzi.  I have no doubts about the quality and reputation there.  Nice to know that price is one to feel good about as well.  Just wasn't super overly impressed, but I'm a first time buyer so I may not have the best perspective.

The Bullfrog is still full of unknowns.  I have yet to wet test, but at least the local dealer does have all the jet packs I'm considering.  My focus would be to choose four that I like most, not swap them out over time. Price is an unknown here too, as I think there's still a lot of wiggle room to get it closer to the Jacuzzi number.  I guess the wet test and price negotiation will make the decision.  Again, both dealers seem solid to me, although I think the Jacuzzi dealer is hungrier for my business.

Any other comments regarding the various features? Pumps, ozone, UV, etcetera?

Bullfrog Spas Support

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2014, 12:40:40 pm »
Chris,

I'm excited that you're considering a Bullfrog Spa. I won't get all salesy here. I just wanted to let you know we're here to help and offer an offer a few clarifications on things that have come up in the discussion.

First, you are certainly on the right track and are looking at 2 great spas from great brands. Whichever you choose you will love your new spa.

As people have correctly said here, the JetPak concept is about personalizing your spa. You get to choose your jetting from 15 unique JetPaks and arrange your jetting configuration so your spa feels just how you want it to feel. In addition to the 2-speed pumps you mentioned, there is a valve on each JetPak that allows you to dial that JetPak's flow to exactly what feels best to you. So, whether you will ever move JetPaks or not may not be as important as getting what you want initially and then being able to dial it to exactly the feel you want as you relax. And, even if you think you may never move JetPaks, you still get that choice with a Bullfrog Spa. Doesn't hurt to have the option down the road.

The circulation pump question came up and yes, you can get one on your Bullfrog Spa.

Another difference you may want to consider is what's under the hood so to speak. Because most of a Bullfrog Spas plumbing is internal in the JetPaks themselves the water delivery system is simple and efficient. Less plumbing is better in terms of reliability and performance. Also under the hood, Bullfrog Spas have an all ABS composite frame that is 100% wood-free. That means no warping, rotting, or decay over time.

Hopefully this helps clarify. Best of luck in your purchase, you are going to love your new spa.

Jake
Bullfrog Spas Support

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2014, 07:55:46 pm »
Chris,

I'm excited that you're considering a Bullfrog Spa. I won't get all salesy here. I just wanted to let you know we're here to help and offer an offer a few clarifications on things that have come up in the discussion.

First, you are certainly on the right track and are looking at 2 great spas from great brands. Whichever you choose you will love your new spa.

As people have correctly said here, the JetPak concept is about personalizing your spa. You get to choose your jetting from 15 unique JetPaks and arrange your jetting configuration so your spa feels just how you want it to feel. In addition to the 2-speed pumps you mentioned, there is a valve on each JetPak that allows you to dial that JetPak's flow to exactly what feels best to you. So, whether you will ever move JetPaks or not may not be as important as getting what you want initially and then being able to dial it to exactly the feel you want as you relax. And, even if you think you may never move JetPaks, you still get that choice with a Bullfrog Spa. Doesn't hurt to have the option down the road.

The circulation pump question came up and yes, you can get one on your Bullfrog Spa.

Another difference you may want to consider is what's under the hood so to speak. Because most of a Bullfrog Spas plumbing is internal in the JetPaks themselves the water delivery system is simple and efficient. Less plumbing is better in terms of reliability and performance. Also under the hood, Bullfrog Spas have an all ABS composite frame that is 100% wood-free. That means no warping, rotting, or decay over time.

Hopefully this helps clarify. Best of luck in your purchase, you are going to love your new spa.

Jake
Bullfrog Spas Support

When wet testing make sure you concentrate on things like contours of the seats and how they fit your butt and your back. Where do your legs end up when you stretch them across to the opposite side. Or down in the foot well. Big enough, to big? How about stretching your arms out, where do they land? Noise level, build quality. Sit on the edge firmly and see how sturdy it feels. Jets are important also and their placement.

Then get happy with the dealer and then the deal.
Retired

meriflower

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2014, 12:42:07 am »
I'm the poster that Quickbeam is talking about.  Sorry but I didn't have a top tier experience with Marquis.  I now have a Bullfrog R6L (since January of this year) and so far it has been problem free.  We really enjoy it and do highly recommend them.  We do move the jetpaks around to our favorite seats, mine is the lounge.  Another reason for moving jetpaks is lets say you have a favorite view (like Quickbeam who is putting their spa on a roof deck) that way you can move your favorite jets to a seat with the view.  Jetpaks cost $500 and I do plan on buying more as my therapy needs change.

I highly recommend to wet test both.  I have had no experience with Jacuzzi other than I have wet tested, they are made in Mexico and they also own Sundance, D1, and Thermospas.

red2play

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2014, 04:41:48 pm »
I Have a Bullfrog and I wet tested both.  If you want a hot tub that features different massages, then its BullFrog, no contest.  If you like a full filtration system and perhaps a Salt water system, then its HotSprings, hands down.  Like everyone says, wet test wet test and then wet test again.

Here's my Bullfrog:  http://www.whatsthebest-hottub.com/forum/index.php/topic,17507.0.html

Very happy but then again, its my first spa myself.  Once you wet test, the choice will be clear.

I didn't wet test the Jaccuzi but I did check the HotSprings vs the Bullfrog.

That being said, I'll tell you my personal experience, I'm a little over 6' so when I sat in the HotSprings, it really didn't "fit" me and when I got the massage it was the same no matter what seat I was in.  However, the water was FANTASTIC but then I learned that the salt water system that made the water soft was only available in the highlife series AND it costs an additional 1500 dollars.  The dealer was cool but also a little shaky because of the questions I raised.  For instance, I said that what about my neck and the jets didn't seem to cover the calfs in most instances.  He didn't directly answer the questions.  Furthermore, I asked about the diverter valves and again, no direct answer.  I guess my questions would make any dealer 'nervous', not sure.  I had also visited a reseller or a seller of off-brand names and the 90 warranty just drove me off.  I also looked at the reputation and yep, very bad.  No way I'd spend that much money with a 90 day warranty.  Then, I went to Brown pools and Spa (Atlanta area) and they sell the Bullfrog's and others.  I had to go back another day for the wet test but when I did my aches went away and instantly I knew I wanted that spa.  However, I noticed the water wasn't as soft as the Hotsprings and I hoped I could get the Salt water system for the Bullfrog but when I confronted the salesperson, they couldn't match the system but at least admitted it.  Also no diverter valves and THEY HAD A NECK MASSAGE JET PACK.  DUDE!!!! it was great.  So that's how I decided.  How can you decide without testing the system out?  My Advice is the same as others, wet test the spa BEFORE spending 9k.  Just my two cents.

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2014, 07:26:11 am »
But every tub features different massages????
Retired

meriflower

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2014, 10:37:53 am »
With Bullfrog the Jetpaks are interchangeable.  Granted I don't plan on buying every single jetpack but I do plan on getting more.  On my model I have 3 seats that I can change out to have a totally different massage.  So I can move to different seats AND have the choice of changing out different jetpaks for different types of massages.

I have wet tested a lot of spas before purchasing.  Other spa I would recommend wet testing is Hot Spring - love the moto massage!

Lionheart_CHP

« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2014, 10:58:05 am »
Going today to test a Bullfrog.  Won't be the R7 that I'm interested, but I think they have a R7L.  Main thing I want to try are the jetpacks.  He has the main three I'm interested in, the Rain Shower, Neck Blaster, & Oscillator, plus a few others.  I'll report our findings.

Thanks for all the feedback thus far.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2014, 10:58:05 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42