What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: How long does a tub last  (Read 12876 times)

iceno9

How long does a tub last
« on: April 29, 2014, 12:22:51 pm »
What is considered the average lifespan of a tub? Yes i know it might depend how often its used etc - but is there any point in getting one say 10 years old?.....or is that considered nearing end of life? Maybe 5 years old?

What components tend to go on them....pumps/heaters? What to look for when checking out second hand ones?

Thanks
Matt

Hot Tub Forum

How long does a tub last
« on: April 29, 2014, 12:22:51 pm »

Topline Mike

Re: How long does a tub last
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2014, 03:32:29 pm »
That's a tough question, Matt.  Just like a vehicle, it all depends on how it was maintained throughout it's life.  If the fluids are changed regularly, it will last longer.  I know one dude on this forum has a '98 model that's still going strong. 

dunecritter

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2014, 04:17:47 pm »
High end manufactures make and use better products. If you start with a good high end manufacture and properly care for those tubs the entire time it is not out of line to say that you could expect 20-25 years of service. That's not saying you will not have issues along the way but if the water care is always maintained you stand a better chance of longer service. A person could also take a great tub and destroy it in just a few short years by abusing it in ways of just water care and nothing more! Trying to find a good used tub is sometimes harder than one might think as chemical abuse shows its face in terms of leaks and brittle interior plumbing. Not just a lack of sanitizer. Take your time and look around...you should eventually find a deal. But I recommend sticking with a name brand product as it is usually easier to get replacement parts if needed.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2014, 04:55:14 pm »
What is considered the average lifespan of a tub? Yes i know it might depend how often its used etc - but is there any point in getting one say 10 years old?.....or is that considered nearing end of life? Maybe 5 years old?

What components tend to go on them....pumps/heaters? What to look for when checking out second hand ones?

Thanks
Matt

Some car brands are lucky to hit 125,000 miles while other brands go 200,000 without blinking. Same with hot tubs basically. A little luck can be at play and how you care for it is very important but otherwise you get what you pay for.

Poor quality hot tubs are lucky to go past 7 or 8 years. You'll hear about good spa brands going 15 even 20+ ... years pretty regularly. Sure there may be some issues along the line with a pump or heater just like if someone tells you he has 250,000 miles on his car if you press him you may find out he changed a water pump, a radiator, clutch...
« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 06:32:14 pm by Spatech_tuo »
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2014, 06:30:03 pm »
It's almost always true that the more you spend the more you get. I've always though that I only wanted 10-15 years because new technology and different stuff. So I spent accordingly. 7 instead of 9 grand. I have seen 10 year old 9 thousand dollars tubs be pretty close to done and I have seen over 20 year old 9000 dollar tubs. Based on a lot of factors. Location, water chemistry, interior and exterior care and maintenance. Use of course. The more you use it the sooner it will get broke.

Let us know what used brands your looking at and we'll take some stabs at it. Year, make model.
Retired

Kyle

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2014, 08:44:30 pm »
As long as the shell and frame of the hot tub are made properly with quality materials, the spa will last as long as you want it.  Pumps, heaters, circuit boards and topside panels are relatively easy and inexpensive to replace (when compared to the original purchase price).  I will say that if the tub gets a leak and it's foamed with closed cell foam, you could be potentially looking at a $1,000 repair.  I personally prefer foamed spas to non-foamed spas due to energy efficiency, but that's something to consider.  Open cell foam tends to be easier to work with if you get a leak.  But I've also seen some non-foamed spas that use other methods that are still efficient too.

iceno9

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2014, 04:35:47 am »
Hi All,

Some great feedback here. So the first thing i am hearing is that when buying a second hand tub, one with a faulty pump or heater 'might' be ok and a potential bargining tool....or the other hand, a tub with a leak is one to stay well away from. Correct?

I am also hearing that good maintanence starts with water quality. So my next question is - what sort of questions should i be asking the owner to get a feel for how well the tub has been maintained? After all, any problems are essentially hidden. Furthermore - human nature suggests people tend to like using products but when it comes to maintanence, can they be bothered! This really comes down to the individual...

Thanks
Matt

Isaac-1

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2014, 08:29:10 pm »
I bought a 1998 Hot Spring Jetsetter back in January, after a couple of minor initial issues, such as needing a new circulation pump, and diverter valve O-rings (the tub had been stored dry for a few years) everything has been perfect with it.  I suspect this tub spent its entire life either inside or in a very sheltered location, and while it does have a few minor dings on the woodwork, overall appears to be in excellent shape, and people find it hard to beleive its age.  There is not even a tear or a crack in the vinyl cover which may be original, just a couple of small scuff marks.

iceno9

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2014, 08:07:07 am »
....your point being its not the age, but where it has been and how well its been looked after?

Makes sense...

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2014, 07:47:36 pm »
How well it's been looked after and the original quality of the tub both play rolls. Some tubs only last 6-8 years no matter how they are taken care of so buying a 6-8 year tub with poor original quality may not be prudent.
Retired

Pers Onal

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2014, 10:17:53 pm »
Mine is a 13 year old hydro-spa probably would have been considered a middle line tub. IIRC, I paid 6,000, was the more expensive model for the size/mold.

Going strong, the actual tub/shell/mold has no leaks and looks great.  Over the years, spa pac, all pumps, blower, controls - all have been replaced. And the frame/surround has been rebuilt recently. Also, two covers gone, third one going.

I almost bought a new one when I was facing the frame/surround rebuild. However, this one fits me and my wife well, and we really like it.

The main reason I kept it is that it was easier and 7 or 8 grand less.

I have the money, but wet testing, going thru the hassle of buying, getting the old one out and getting the new one in just seemed like a lot more to go thru for I don't know how much more benefit.

My wife has been pretty religious about maintaining the water.

During a recent deck rebuild, turned it on it's side, frame issues surfaced and several weeks later the first leaks I have ever had other than pump shaft/seal leaks where the seal needed replacing.

one was a in-line shut-off valve leaking, another was where a really tight turn had been made going into the filter housing. In both cases, the flexible plumbing was pretty stiff from age/heat and had to be heated with a heat gun.

I'm thinking, don't know for sure - but even a high dollar tub that has given great service and has sat for ten years no leaks - when you move it, some of those parts that are hardened and brittle from 3,650 days of over 100 degree water may give you some minor problems.

If I have minor issues and throw a hundred or two hundred here or there to fix them, I'll just keep it going.

Spa pac goes, or anything that isn't quick, easy and cheap, I'll give it away.

I think Isaac-1 really lucked out. Will be hard to equal his purchase.

Oh yeah, my son bought a relatively new, gorgeous used no-warranty Sundance. He wound up giving it away, and said never again will he buy a tub without a warranty.

You need to realize, you are rolling the dice with a used tub and you are going to know for sure till you have the tub in place and running what numbers came up on the dice.

im45us

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2014, 05:24:15 pm »
My 1992 Hot Springs Prodigy just died yesterday  :'( . It spent it entire life outside in New England and was used everyday. I am looking at new tubs and the changes. My tub has 6 total jets ;D . Most have more than that on one seat. I miss her already...

silverbullet

« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2014, 10:15:02 pm »
My first Tub will be set up this week a 07 great lakes. There giving me a 90 day warranty. Paid $2.200 for it & hope to get a few good years out of it, learning what all this is about & what to & what not to look for in the next one. A reasonable learning experience I think.

Isaac-1

« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2014, 04:12:22 am »
After about 4 months of mostly trouble free ownership of a low cost (about $1,500 total investment including installation) older used hot tub.  I have came to realize one of the prime benefits is it allows me to decide what features are important and what are not for my next hot tub, whenever that may be.  For example I have found that lighting does not matter to me at all, even though my tub just has a simple multi level blue only light, I have yet to turn it on other than testing it out a time or two.  Then there are more abstract things, like how I like to use the tub, rotating through the various seats, etc which are also things no amount of wet testing at a dealer would reveal.

aeajr

« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2014, 10:41:43 pm »
Mine is only a year old so I am no authority on this, but I would expect a solid, flat, level base would be very important.  If the tub is tipped or uneven it is going to stress the structure.  Or if the base is sagging or broken on one side it is going to put a twist in the shell and compromise the integrity.

If you are looking at used tubs, I would pay attention to how it was installed and how well that installation has held up.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2014, 10:41:43 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42