What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Windy weather Hot Tubbing?  (Read 6276 times)

Topline Mike

Windy weather Hot Tubbing?
« on: April 27, 2014, 06:10:59 pm »
I've noticed with our new tub that windy weather isn't much fun.  When the pumps are on, a mist is blowing in your face all the time.  The worst part with the wind, is that our water temperature will drop two or three degrees.  Today, the outside temp is in the high 40's, and the wind is blowing 20 to 25 mph.  We started at 102°, and in about 20 minutes, we were down to 99°.  It does make sense that the wind will suck the heat right out of the tub.  I'm just hoping this is normal, and my heater doesn't have an issue.  Come rain, snow, wind, I can't keep the kids out of the tub. ;)

Hot Tub Forum

Windy weather Hot Tubbing?
« on: April 27, 2014, 06:10:59 pm »

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
Re: Windy weather Hot Tubbing?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2014, 07:27:46 am »
I frequently talk about the wind right up there with rain for hot tubbing.  The coldest night I've been in my tub was -4F but the air was still. Had a great night.  The next night it was 17F, but with a 25mph wind we didn't go out.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Mudheadsports

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2014, 03:41:08 pm »
What brand did you get and what amperage are you at?  We have a sundance cameo and when we got it we had 60 amp hooked up.  We noticed that we were loosing temperature at that kind of rate with both pumps on.  Turns out that even though we paid the extra to get the 60 amp service, the tub had factory settings to 50 amp service so the heater wasn't able to run with both pumps.  You could also have something like that going on.....hope that helps!!!!

Topline Mike

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2014, 08:31:19 pm »
mudhead, we have a jacuzzi.  I have the 60 amp service, but I know I need to change some jumpers around in the control panel to get the heater to work with both pumps on.  However, we don't have both pumps on at the same time for very long.  The heater is on most of the time we are in there, and I'm still losing temperature.  But like a said, the wind seems to have a big effect on the heat loss.  On a calm night, I won't lose but 1° in temperature.

Mudheadsports

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2014, 07:43:28 pm »
We've been out in negative numbers this year....we had ours delivered in January, and did well staying warm.  We did go out a few times when there was a breeze and it may be the way we are situated but it didn't seem to be a problem....good luck.....warmer weather is coming!!!!!  Enjoy

kurt6137

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2014, 11:43:10 pm »
You answered your own question to some degree. Having the jumpers set correctly for 50 or 60 amp coverage is essential, but wind will definitely wisp some heat away. I usually get that type of drop, when its really cold, but really is not that much of a temperature drop in my humble opinion.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2014, 07:34:38 am »
You answered your own question to some degree. Having the jumpers set correctly for 50 or 60 amp coverage is essential, but wind will definitely wisp some heat away. I usually get that type of drop, when its really cold, but really is not that much of a temperature drop in my humble opinion.

There is one advantage to a cover that doesn't' go all the way to the ground, it acts as a windbreak.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

rosewoodsteel

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2014, 10:36:13 am »

There is one advantage to a cover that doesn't' go all the way to the ground, it acts as a windbreak.

This is my first time with a cover that sits high. Even though the lifter is very well built,  I'm a little afraid to test it out in a high wind.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2014, 10:36:13 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42