What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Cal Spa Escape 864 vs Jacuzzi 385  (Read 7824 times)

gdm783

Cal Spa Escape 864 vs Jacuzzi 385
« on: April 20, 2014, 08:55:03 am »
My wife and I are ready to take the plunge on a hot tub and have reviewed many models so far. We have narrowed our choices to the Jacuzzi 385 (quoted price was 11.5k) and the Cal Spa E-864B (quoted price was $8.5k). We have decided to go with the Cal Spa, but the more I do research the more I think we made a mistake with Cal Spa. Should I get a refund and go with Jacuzzi?  I'm hoping that maybe Cal Spa has responded to a lot of the negative press and improved their warranty and customer service?  One note, we are not concerned with jets (or the quality of them), but rather just want a big tub of hot water in the backyard.  A plus for Cal Spa is that the dealer is reliable and has been in business for many years. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you!

Hot Tub Forum

Cal Spa Escape 864 vs Jacuzzi 385
« on: April 20, 2014, 08:55:03 am »

rosewoodsteel

Re: Cal Spa Escape 864 vs Jacuzzi 385
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2014, 09:32:26 am »
Hi gdm,

I don't know if Cal Spa has improved their warranty, or what their warranty was for that matter.  I would jump on their website and see what their warranty details are for the particular hot tub you are considering, if you do that, there will be no surprises.  Most folks here will tell you that having a good dealer is one of the most important things in a hot tub purchase, so if your local guy has a good reputation and has been in business for a long time, that is definitely a plus.
That said, Jacuzzi is mentioned as one of the top brands here (along with Hot Springs, Sundance, Bullfrog, Marquis, Artic, etc.).    Cal Spa has been described as second tier.    But, 3K is a big price difference.   If the Cal Spa fits your purpose / needs, the warranty is good and the dealer is top notch, you could tuck that 3K into an account and use it down the road for post warranty issues.     Quality vs. value is often a tough decision.    Enjoy your hot tub search!!

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2014, 09:44:05 am »
 Supposedly Cal has changed some in upper mgmt. We sold Cal for 3 years and they are not a bad spa once you get it going, kinda like a bay runner boat.  Company to dealer service was horrible, so yes a very good dealer is important.    Many of the complaints you read are because of the dealer not taking care of the customer, the bad rep they have on the internet was the hardest thing to overcome when we were selling them.

I know the Jacuzzi is more expensive, but the jetting the quality and the spa itself will be better than the Cal spa.  Look at the J-365 not that much different from the 385 just a little smaller but less in price if that's a concern..

gdm783

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2014, 09:53:27 am »
Thanks for the feedback. The other thought was to go with the J-280. It was quoted at $7,500.  I don't really want a circ pump and since jetting is not important to us, would this be the better bet over Cal Spa?  My concern with the 280 is that Jacuzzi uses inferior parts, since it is their entry model. We really did like the Cal Spa, but I am nervous about partnering with a shady mfg.

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2014, 11:34:19 am »
Or if a big tub of swirling hot water is all your looking for go online or to Costco or one of the box stores and look at their current offerings. You make several compromises in jetting, quality and longevity but will pay even less and can have 2 for 10 grand to make the 10-12 years or more life expectancy of the jacuzzi.
Retired

Kyle

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2014, 09:17:57 pm »
Good grief don't buy a Cal Spa. 

dunecritter

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2014, 02:11:42 pm »
There is a market for a Cal Spa...Not a fan personally and certainly not equal to compare to Jacuzzi...Apples and oranges. Altho you can get a decent buy on a soso product from Costco, The big negative would be not having a local dealer for support and knowledge. At least if you were to buy a Calspa from a local dealer you would have some support from that selling dealer. Nobody knows crap nor cares to know crap about hut tubs that you buy online at Costco...I get people coming in all the time..."I got a problem with my Costco spa" And now I'm the bad guy because I don't have any way to help him. That's reality. Buy local and get support, That's my best advice.

Sam

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2014, 07:56:20 pm »
I would buy a Jacuzzi over a Cal Spa without even thinking twice about it.  I think that most people with experience would tell you the same thing.  Even Jacuzzi's low-end spa is still a quality product.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2014, 07:56:20 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42