What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Taylor Test Kit Question  (Read 1530 times)

rosewoodsteel

Taylor Test Kit Question
« on: April 12, 2014, 04:04:31 pm »
I posted this on another thread, but am still a bit unsure on the answer.

Question about using the Taylor kit-
In testing for TA, in the final step it says to add drops until the water turns from green to red.   Mine turned from green to what I would call pink, after 6 drops.    Is this when you stop the test?     I did the test twice and on the first time, I kept adding, but the end result, after many more drops was still pink (although perhaps a slightly darker shade).

Hot Tub Forum

Taylor Test Kit Question
« on: April 12, 2014, 04:04:31 pm »

chem geek

Re: Taylor Test Kit Question
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2014, 06:08:32 pm »
Yes, pink and red would be the same.  You are looking for a color change.  When the chlorine (or bromine) level is high, then the test may go from blue to yellow instead of from green to red.  If your chlorine is only somewhat high, then the starting color might be more blue-green and the ending color might be more orange or weak red (i.e. pink) which may be what you are seeing.

The test is still valid with these alternate transition colors, but if you want the more traditional green/red colors, then add more than 2 drops of R-0007 (thiosulfate which is a reducing agent to remove chlorine or bromine).  Usually the 2 drops is sufficient, but perhaps your chlorine or bromine level is somewhat high.

rosewoodsteel

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2014, 09:32:32 am »
Thank you, Chem Geek.

My bromine level was within parameters on both the Taylor test and the test strips.   (I was looking for the paper I used to jot down the information, but can't find it..)  At any rate, your information will help me greatly.  Thank you for your assistance!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2014, 09:32:32 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42