What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Marquis Promise versus Caldera Vanto for Vacation Rental  (Read 13515 times)

aroy11462

Re: Marquis Promise versus Caldera Vanto for Vacation Rental
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2014, 03:42:19 pm »
One other question - The price difference between the Vanto and the Promise or Martinique is $2,500.  Although I still may pay more to get a better quality hot tub with more features, I was wondering what the chances are of recouping the $2,500 because of repairs that would be covered with a longer warranty or the more expensive models lasting longer.  How long can I expect these hot tubs to last?  If I have to replace it 10-13 years, I may make sense to get a nicer one then when we are no longer renting the home out.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2014, 03:42:19 pm »

MarKee

« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2014, 08:58:15 pm »
In my opinion you're comparing apples and oranges.  The Marquis e-Series 750 compares closer to the Caldera Vanto.  The Promise would definitely be a step up.  The warranty on the Promise is quite a bit longer, the construction is also quite different.  You will find a fully-sealed ABS plastic bottom on the Promise instead of a wood-framed bottom on the Vanto.  The DuraWood cabinet on the Marquis is also stronger and also very scratch resistant.  It willl also never fade from sunlight or weather.  Marquis uses some of the best insulation on the market, and I doubt you will notice any energy difference between the two spas.  In fact, the Marquis is likely more efficient because of a thicker cover and a linear heat seal that seals off any energy loss down the center seam of the cover.  Also, you might look at the equipment area where everything is kept in both spas, you will see some big fit-and-finish differences.  The ozone system works well on the Marquis, even without being on 24/7.

If you're trying to get the price down, just go with the 1 pump Promise, it's still a great spa, it just won't have geyser jets in the bottom, and it will still have some foot jets.  It's a perfect tub for a vacation rental.

Also if it makes a difference to you, Marquis Hot Tubs are made up in Oregon, and the Calderas are being built in Mexico the last I heard.

Good luck in your search.

Hot Spring Ace

« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2014, 11:36:18 am »
Both dealers have good reviews on Yelp  and have been in business for a long time.  One is a about 20 minutes closer to me. 
Can anyone explain the the difference/benefits between having a circulation pump with Utopia series and not with the Vacanza series. Also does the Marquis not having a circulation pump make it more like the Vacanza series or is that like trying to compare apples and oranges.

I've owned/sold both types but personally very much prefer a circ pump for the silence (vs the pump in filter mode for 6 hrs /day), for the energy efficiency (24 hrs of the circ running is less than the 6 hrs of that main pump filtering), for ozone which will be on 24/7 (vs 6 hrs/day with the main pump). Its an upgrade on the Utopia that is well worth it IMO but that alone should decide whether you go the Utopia or Vacanza route, there are other upgrades on the Utopia series as well. In the end the Vacanza is a nice option and easier on the wallet but you'll like having the circ pump if you go that route.

rosewoodsteel

« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2014, 10:40:42 am »
Also if it makes a difference to you, Marquis Hot Tubs are made up in Oregon, and the Calderas are being built in Mexico the last I heard....

Aren't a lot of hot tubs made in Mexico now.

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2014, 07:08:27 pm »
Also if it makes a difference to you, Marquis Hot Tubs are made up in Oregon, and the Calderas are being built in Mexico the last I heard....

As far as I know just Watkins (freeflow, hot springs and caldera) and everything jacuzzi owns (jacuzzi, sundance, dimension one and thermospas)

dunecritter

« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2014, 08:36:44 pm »

As far as I know just Watkins (freeflow, hot springs and caldera) and everything jacuzzi owns (jacuzzi, sundance, dimension one and thermospas)
Free flow, Hot Spring and Limelight are all made in Vista California...not sure about Caldera or Jacuzzi and Sundance. Hot Spot is made in Watkins Mexico facilities. ...

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2014, 06:07:56 pm »

Free flow, Hot Spring and Limelight are all made in Vista California...not sure about Caldera or Jacuzzi and Sundance. Hot Spot is made in Watkins Mexico facilities. ...
Not that it matters, but the following are made in Mexico: Caldera. Jacuzzi. Hot Spot. Sundance. Dimension 1. Hot Spring Limelight Collection. Made in Vista, CA: Hot Spring Highlife. Free Flow. Fantasy. Even Aquaterra, sold at Costco.com.

So, yes, a lot of spas are made in Mexico, close to the US border.
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

gyro

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2014, 11:51:41 am »
In the interest of full disclosure, unlike some of the other participants in this discussion which are Hot Spring dealers (A sister company to Caldera), I'm an employee of Marquis Spas and have a dog in the fight but will try to be as factual as possible.

Whether you end up with a Marquis or Caldera, you will have a tub that you will enjoy for many years that is energy efficient and backed by a good company that usually has good reliable dealers that will properly service you and your spa.  Both spas meet the stringent CEC requirements for energy efficiency, and if one or the other is more efficient, it will be by pennies a month, so there's no need to belabor the conversation on energy efficiency.

One philosophy where Marquis and Caldera part ways is in regard to filtration.  Marquis was one of the first manufacturers to incorporate 24 hour filtration many years ago, as did Caldera and Hot Spring, under the belief that always filtering the water was a good thing, and a good sales story.   But, we soon found that it became our #1 warranty claim with a small pump continuously running at a low volume making it and the heater susceptible to corrosion and mineral deposits.  So we engineered it out of our tubs in favor of a high flow system that filters approximately 10x as much water in a day and does a much better job of skimming the surface where body oil, dirt, hair etc, accumulate.  And, the system provides 100% filtration (Something Caldera boasts) from top to bottom also picking up heavier particles from the suctions located at the bottom of the spa.  it also has smart logic programming that filters and purifies the water based upon how often you use the spa.  The more use use the spa, the more it filters and sanitizes the water.  When you finish using the tub, it waits 30 minutes to allow hair, dirt, body oil, etc to flat to the surface and then automatically comes on to skim it all away.  Another benefit promoted by 24 hr circ pump systems is that they are quiet.  With a Marquis, you can rest assured that it is one of the quietest spas in the industry, if not the quietest, not only when filtering, but also when both 160 GPM pumps are running on high speed to provide therapy second to none in the spa industry.

Someone else mentioned that you are comparing apples to oranges with the models you are comparing, which is true.  The Caldera model is lower priced and has a lower warranty than the Promise because it is in one of their lower to mid level lines.  The Signature Series, which the Promise is in, is Marquis upper level series and includes a Corona Discharge ozone purification system and Frog in-line dispenser system as standard features in addition to Marquis exclusive Durawood exterior, which has never failed in the ten plus years its been in the field, and Durabase bottom which completely seals the spa from rodents and moisture.  The Signature Series spas also have Marquis exclusive HOT zone therapy system, WiFi capability so that you can operate your spa from anywhere in the world, and much more.   The e-Series models by Marquis are more comparable in price and features to the Caldera model being considered.

Marquis is an employee owned company that still manufacturers our spas in the USA, which is important to some and not others, while other manufacturers, such as Caldera, have chosen to move production and jobs out of the country to places like Mexico to cut costs.  If that's the case, I don't see much of a cost difference between comparable products.  And quite frankly, I believe that the employee owners of Marquis just flat out care and have more pride about the products we make and sell around the world.

Pomin's Hot Tubs is the Marquis dealer in Tahoe, and has been for over 30 years.  They pride themselves on their customer service, and service the majority of spas on the north side of the lake, whether it is a Marquis or not.

One last thing, the base of a Caldera is wood and comes in direct contact with the ground and any moisture on it, making it susceptible to rot over time.  All Marquis spas are sealed, with the Signature Series models including the Durabase.  Considering that snow will be caked up against your spa at times, that may be something important to consider.  If you'd like to see photographs of each base, you can contact Pomin's for photos.

Good luck on making your decision and enjoy whatever hot tub you decide on.  Either one will be a great experience in a setting like Lake Tahoe.

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2014, 09:40:08 am »
I'll talk about Marquis...the other company has a tendency to threaten with corporate attorney's and become bullies if I bring up their name.

I've had my ups and downs with Marquis as a dealer then selling against them however, if I was buying today they would still probably be my first choice! Their team is one of the best I've ever worked with and I use my Marquis Epic almost every night!

We've moved into the arena of refurbished spas along with new over the last several years and every Marquis I've traded in is easily rebuildable and still a good unit while over half of the other brand has had to go to the landfill because they were to far gone. Understand, I'm talking about spas made in the 2000's, not ancient ones.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2014, 09:40:08 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42