What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Refurbished tub (with warranty) or New Tub?  (Read 5714 times)

Mickey Blue

Refurbished tub (with warranty) or New Tub?
« on: March 01, 2014, 11:04:41 am »
So I'm from Portland, Oregon; there are lots and lots of places that sell hot tubs here (without even getting into ordering online or directly from a manufacturer) but in my search so far two places stand out:

1) Pacific Hot Tub Solutions

These guys sell pretty much only refurbished tubs, they do come with a short warranty (1 to 3 years parts and labor) and you can wet test them and all that stuff. They have a pretty good reputation (they have some nut posting things about them anonymously on every random site but other than that their rep seems pretty good). Their inventory, obviously, varies but they often do have reputable brands like Hot Springs, Jacuzzi, etc and most of their tubs are 5K or below.

2) Oregon Hot Tub (outlet)

This store is more expensive, but they are (of course) new and generally come with a longer warranty. They also have a good reputation but you are paying in some cases thousands more for a comparable tub.

Now.. I know lots of people are questioning of used tubs, but I couldn't find anything specific to refurbished ones (which, in theory, may be in better condition than your averaged used tub, and in this case comes with a warranty). I know, for example, many people consider buying a new car a waste of money when you can get a perfectly good used on at a fraction of the cost, was wondering of this is the same deal.

Just was curious of the opinions of people here about balancing cost savings with an older (and used) model.

Thanks

As a note, while plans can change with time, right now my wife and I plan to move out of the region in about three or so years (far enough that it would be impractical to bring the tub with us) so we don't necessarily need one that will last forever.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2014, 11:21:47 am by Mickey Blue »

Hot Tub Forum

Refurbished tub (with warranty) or New Tub?
« on: March 01, 2014, 11:04:41 am »

Isaac-1

Re: Refurbished tub (with warranty) or New Tub?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2014, 12:56:48 pm »
It seems logical to me to look at a refurbished high quality tub, high quality being the key words, particulalry with warranty lengths you mention.  In my limited shopping before ending up buying a used tub from an individual, most of the used / refurbished tubs I found for sale from dealers came with a very minimal warranty, if any at all.  30-90 days seems to be somewhat common, at least out of the ones I saw.  A lot also depends on the type of person you are, how important is a warranty to you.  Personally I tend to see warranties as safety nets on major purchase items like automobiles, hot tubs, etc.  The companies that make the products are willing to bet that on average they will last X amount of time with less than Y number of warranty issues.  Then the question becomes, if you could buy the same exact product at a discounted price, without warranty coverage is it worth it to you.  I saw a hot tub for sale just last week near here that is a perfect example of this equation.  The tub was a 2013 HS Jetsetter for $3,000 the new purchase price last year was $6,500, assuming it had not been abused such a tub could be a clear winner for someone willing to pay as you go on repairs, and willing to take that slight bet that the tub is not a complete lemon.  However the same tub sold by a used hot tub dealer at $5,000 with a 90 day warranty might be much less of a deal after those 90 days are up.

rosewoodsteel

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2014, 01:54:48 pm »
I would like to know what the definition of "refurbished" is.
Does it mean they replaced all of the pumps?  Pump seals?    Jets?  The spa pack?

My brother-in-law kept talking about a used car he purchased and how the engine had been "re-built".
I asked him what they did to rebuild the engine and he didn't know.
6 months later the re-built engine blew up....

Isaac-1

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2014, 03:23:28 pm »
I have seen some ads / you tube videos posted by people selling "refurbished" hot tubs, that show replacing any visibly worn part, plus all new guts (pumps, heater, etc.), this may or may not include the logic board and controller, but often includes controller topside cover.  Of course definition is likely to vary from place to place.

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2014, 07:06:57 pm »
So I'm from Portland, Oregon; there are lots and lots of places that sell hot tubs here (without even getting into ordering online or directly from a manufacturer) but in my search so far two places stand out:

1) Pacific Hot Tub Solutions

These guys sell pretty much only refurbished tubs, they do come with a short warranty (1 to 3 years parts and labor) and you can wet test them and all that stuff. They have a pretty good reputation (they have some nut posting things about them anonymously on every random site but other than that their rep seems pretty good). Their inventory, obviously, varies but they often do have reputable brands like Hot Springs, Jacuzzi, etc and most of their tubs are 5K or below.

2) Oregon Hot Tub (outlet)

This store is more expensive, but they are (of course) new and generally come with a longer warranty. They also have a good reputation but you are paying in some cases thousands more for a comparable tub.

Now.. I know lots of people are questioning of used tubs, but I couldn't find anything specific to refurbished ones (which, in theory, may be in better condition than your averaged used tub, and in this case comes with a warranty). I know, for example, many people consider buying a new car a waste of money when you can get a perfectly good used on at a fraction of the cost, was wondering of this is the same deal.

Just was curious of the opinions of people here about balancing cost savings with an older (and used) model.

Thanks

As a note, while plans can change with time, right now my wife and I plan to move out of the region in about three or so years (far enough that it would be impractical to bring the tub with us) so we don't necessarily need one that will last forever.

If you are comfortable with the information you get from the staff on a particular model then it is a viable option.
Retired

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2014, 11:16:26 pm »
I have a friend who told his wife if you can't afford a new tub, you can't afford a used one.  I know that is not true for everyone, but I thought a wise remark.  See car story above.
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

Dachster

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2014, 08:45:47 am »
Our first tub was a HS Prodigy- about 7 years old. Price: basically free- traded off some cost on a large project for it, as owner did not want it on his deck. I had the HS dealer fill it and check it out (was originally purchased through him). It was fine, so we took the plunge. No problems for three years, then a leak in shell- fixed by dealer with underwater sealer. fourth year, same thing, then again this year. But their fix failed right away, so I drained, dried, waited for a warm day (in January in VT), but it came and we epoxied it up real well. Then it lost more water than before, perhaps I didn't drain it all the way or something; it wouldn't hold water- loosing about 2" per day. So we gave up.
Point is- a used tub lasted us 3 years before a problem which was unfixable without spending half the price of a new tub. We did some local research before deciding on a new Saratoga unit, with 7/5/5 warranty (same as HS). There were some used ones available, but all about $3000-$4500, or over half the cost of new with full warranty. We really couldn't afford a new one, but did, as I need it for bad-back therapy. We are glad we bought new! Good luck! (check out Saratoga- their tubs are awesome)

Pers Onal

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2014, 11:50:08 pm »
My son, who is generally very astute and a better than average mechanic bought a used Sundance from a local dealer.

Nothing but problem, after problem, after problem.

Once the warranty was out, the cost and hassle of repairs were never ending.

He will readily state he would never buy a used hot tub.

People on this forum have purchased used and done well, and not so well.

you pays your money and takes your chances or you don't.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2014, 11:50:08 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42