What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: What happens to the chemicals  (Read 4837 times)

goneaway

What happens to the chemicals
« on: January 14, 2014, 06:00:16 am »
Obviously, as the tub is used, the sanitation is being burnt off, which means topping up with more chemicals.
What happens after a number of weeks.
Whilst i can understand them losing effectiveness, i find it hard to believe that they are just disappearing.

We switched from Chlorine to Bromine a few fills ago.
I'm about 10 weeks in to this tub full of water, so it's due a change anyway.
At the weekend, the wife came out with a rash, much like bug bites, which it seems (googling) is quite common for Bromine.

10 weeks or so of dumping 2 tablespoons of bromine, and PH+ etc must be doing something to the water surely. ?

I might add that we were entertaining for the evening and were in about 5 hours... oops  :o
« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 06:19:18 am by keat63 »

Hot Tub Forum

What happens to the chemicals
« on: January 14, 2014, 06:00:16 am »

Spoiledrotten

Re: What happens to the chemicals
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2014, 09:20:46 am »
I've been using bromine from the start with mine. I keep some kind of rash around my ankles/lower legs all the time. I'm about ready to try something else.
"A bend in the road is not the end of the road... unless you fail to make the turn."

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2014, 10:41:15 am »
 The good news is it's either chemical or bacterial..

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2014, 11:21:46 am »
The bad news is, any doctor will tell you to stay out of the spa until it's cleared up.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

meriflower

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2014, 01:25:32 pm »
I use bromine (Brilliance) for quite a long time and have been successful with it.  I also frequently test using a Taylor test kit, also use the test strips if need to do it quickly.  I believe if you are not able to keep your bromine up to an accepted level there is more bacteria than the bromine can keep up with.  Do you shock (oxidizer) regularly?  I do so weekly, more if we use the tub more frequently. 

Regarding the rash, we luckily have not experienced any issues.  It probably is a good idea to do a water change and wait until  the rash clears before going back in again.  If it's a reaction to the bromine you may try changing over to chlorine.

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2014, 07:31:05 pm »
Obviously, as the tub is used, the sanitation is being burnt off, which means topping up with more chemicals.
What happens after a number of weeks.
Whilst i can understand them losing effectiveness, i find it hard to believe that they are just disappearing.

We switched from Chlorine to Bromine a few fills ago.
I'm about 10 weeks in to this tub full of water, so it's due a change anyway.
At the weekend, the wife came out with a rash, much like bug bites, which it seems (googling) is quite common for Bromine.

10 weeks or so of dumping 2 tablespoons of bromine, and PH+ etc must be doing something to the water surely. ?

I might add that we were entertaining for the evening and were in about 5 hours... oops  :o

Everything you add to your water turns to TDS (total dissolved solids) These are measurable and should be monitored. They make the bubbles sluggish. There's nothing like fresh water.
Retired

Pers Onal

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2014, 08:26:51 pm »
We have used Bromine for a number of years with absolutely no issues

My wife does our water maintenance, using test strips that test for ph, total hardness, total alkalinity, total chlorine, total bromine, free chlorine and Cyanuric acid. Test strips show ideal ranges by color. Test strips purchased from a local spa dealer.

We rinse off before going in the spa, and when we get out.

I'm in  the spa anywhere from 5 to 7 days a week year round, my wife usually in 3 or 4 times a week. Sometimes the two grandkids are in it for several hours on a Friday night.

We usually change the water every 3 or so months, partly depending on how much the grandkids are in it.

My wife doesn't check with the test strips every week, more like anywhere from one to two weeks.

We have reasonably soft water here. My skin frequently shows problems with everything from various detergents to fabric softeners. Yet I have no ongoing issues and have never had any that appeared related to the spa or bromine.

I'm thinking that if you're not using test strips you don't know what's really going on.

« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 08:29:13 pm by Pers Onal »

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2014, 09:52:32 pm »
I prefer and know you get better results from a re-agent test kit like the Taylor K2006 for Chlorine and the K2005 for Bromine.
Retired

chem geek

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2014, 12:14:11 am »
If you use chlorine, then the chlorine you add, along with pH or TA adjusting chemicals, results in sodium chloride salt.  If you use bromine, then it results in sodium bromide salt.  The TA (baking soda) that you add is just replenishing the carbon dioxide that gets outgassed.  The salt buildup doesn't do anything particularly bad to the water unless the level gets high in which case it increases the risk of metal corrosion.

It's not the chemicals that you add that build up problems in the water -- it's you in the spa since your skin, sweat and urine contains chemicals that don't get fully oxidized by chlorine or filtered out in the filter.  It is these dissolved chemicals that make the water dull and not feel or smell as fresh and clean.

goneaway

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2014, 03:44:33 am »
We switched to Bromine about 2 or 3 fills ago, as neither of us like the smell of chlorine.
I check the water using strips weekly, and always definitely before we get in, so at weekends it's checked Friday, Saturday and sometime Sunday.
I shock using MPS weekly.

I can concur with Tman's sluggish bubbles, these have been becoming more sluggish over time, to the point where i felt on Saturday that adding anti foam no longer worked.

Saturday night was quite a heavy bather load, 4 of us for 4 or 5 hours, so I changed the water on Sunday, and switched back to chlorine.

I think maybe, i might just change the water with more frequency, maybe every 4-6 weeks.
My only issue, without a submersible pump, it's a 7 hour job.

rin-spa-aic

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2014, 01:14:40 pm »
We switched to Bromine about 2 or 3 fills ago, as neither of us like the smell of chlorine.
I check the water using strips weekly, and always definitely before we get in, so at weekends it's checked Friday, Saturday and sometime Sunday.
I shock using MPS weekly.

I can concur with Tman's sluggish bubbles, these have been becoming more sluggish over time, to the point where i felt on Saturday that adding anti foam no longer worked.

Saturday night was quite a heavy bather load, 4 of us for 4 or 5 hours, so I changed the water on Sunday, and switched back to chlorine.

I think maybe, i might just change the water with more frequency, maybe every 4-6 weeks.
My only issue, without a submersible pump, it's a 7 hour job.

The Crafstman Submersible Utility Pump is my best friend when dealing with spa water (or the pool).
The thing is a workhorse.  Buy it from Sears and get a great warranty and great warranty service.

When I change water:
SeaKlear for an hour on high or overnight
Drain
Quickly rinse lines with fresh water
Wet-Dry vac the lines clean (this extra step makes a big difference)
Refill with hot water from the house (we have natural gas)

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2014, 01:14:40 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42