What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Heater Questions  (Read 2238 times)

beaud

Heater Questions
« on: November 27, 2013, 01:26:41 pm »
just got my first hot tub for free off of craigslist.  it needs a new heater.  now as i would like to use it during the winter here in texas i have a few questions.  will it stay warm/hot all the time or will i have to wait hours for it to reach operating temperature in order to use it.  is there a cost effective way to keep it warm other than having the heater on 24/7.  it is like a 6 or 7 person hot tub. 

Hot Tub Forum

Heater Questions
« on: November 27, 2013, 01:26:41 pm »

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
Re: Heater Questions
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2013, 02:33:24 pm »
Depends on the brand, model of hot tub you have, how it's wired (110v / 220v) and how the controls are set up.

Without a lot more information, you're basically asking the equivalent of me asking you, "how big is my house?"
« Last Edit: November 27, 2013, 02:36:28 pm by Dr. Spa™ »
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2013, 03:56:02 pm »
Welcome to the forum.  We look forward to hearing more about the specifics of your tub.  Assuming its a standard above ground model, it will probably take hours to heat from ambient temp levels.  Most tubs use more energy in getting water hot than keeping it hot so turning off an on doesn't make sense in most cases.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

goneaway

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2013, 04:39:41 am »
Hi Beaud.

Ambient temperature as well as tub insulation have governing factors.
I'm assuming that Texas is warm (it always looks it in the movies)
Here in the UK, our summer temperatures are about 25 deg C.
My tub which  has an insulated cover and insulated foam internally, loses about 1 degree over night.
Night time temps are dropping to sub 5 degrees C, and I'm losing at least 2 degrees over night.

In the summer, it would increase about 1 degree per hour.
At this time of year its taking about 8 hours to increase by 6 degrees.

So as you can see, there are lots of permutations to consider.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2013, 04:39:41 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42