What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Hot tub does not run (after being moved)...lower board CLICKS loudly  (Read 3805 times)

scubaryan

Hey Guys,
Looking for some help here, I'm pretty sure I've tried everything.
I bought a Coast Spas hottub and at the time I looked at it, it ran and everything worked.
Then we moved it to my house, lots of tipping and sliding and roughing around.
Got it all wired up and full of water (halfway past skimmer) and when I turn it on, the panel topside lights up and says temperature but the pump doesn't run. After 5 seconds there are 3 lights the blink simultaneously which I believe is a FLO error. When I push the PUMP button all I hear is a very loud click from the lower board.

-First thing I did was make sure all pump levers were open. Then I bled some air out at union going into pump motor and on other side, and on each side of the silver element sheath thing. I hear air fsssss out so I thought that would fix the error. Nope.
-Read that it could be something clogged up and preventing water flow so removed the filter and put the filter housing only, back in to see if it would fix it.
-It is wired 240v. Pump is 240v. I hotwired directly to pump to make sure it wasn't broken and the pump starting pushing water through. I tested the power going into the motor and both hot wires are 240v.
-I did a continuity test across the 2 big fuses (with them removed) and they show continuity.
-I tested the heater element leads and at first they were a bit rusty, so I cleaned them up and thought that would fix it. No dice. It showed continuity across the element and also voltage one I touch one lead to it and the other to ground. And I remember looking for a certain number of between 9-15 Ohms and it got that.
-Doubled checked the wiring diagram and it seems to be correct.
-Did a continuity test across the pressure switch but didn't show any, I guess because water has to be flowing through it maybe?

Any suggestions would be awesome!! It seems like all parts are ready to go but that loud click is stopping anything from happening.

Thanks so much!
« Last Edit: November 24, 2013, 05:20:23 pm by scubaryan »

Hot Tub Forum

clover

Re: Hot tub does not run (after being moved)...lower board CLICKS loudly
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2013, 06:47:36 pm »
No place do you say you checked the incoming voltage.  Of course we both understand that you have it wired, but some things will operate on 120 volts too.  Check each of the 4 incoming wires to ground, only 2 will be 120 volts, and those 2 together will be 240 volts.  Confim they are on the 2 primary power connections, and then tell me your GFCI test button works and trips the breaker.
Trying to be the unbaised voice of reason.

scubaryan

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2013, 07:03:48 pm »
I'm about to feel like a huge idiot I think.
I could have sworn I checked the incoming voltage already. Anyways, just did it now and only one of the hots is 120volts.
Traced it back to the panel in my house, the breaker I installed has a double pole 15 and 40amp (quad pole).
I had the hot tub hooked into the dual 15amps and whatever the other thing was hooked into 40amps.

I'm going to shut off power to main panel, rewire, and then test hot tub again. I think that will fix it.
I'll let you know but thank you for the help Clover!!

clover

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2013, 09:55:35 am »
We are all idiots from time to time.  Sometimes we can't even see the nose on our face.  I have known master electricians and electrical inspectors to overlook simple mistakes the they could not recognize, because they forgot the "basic approach to problem solving". 

Sometimes we are too close to the problem to see the mistakes that we make.   ;)  Always return to the basics.
Trying to be the unbaised voice of reason.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2013, 09:55:35 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42