What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Help please!  (Read 1934 times)

kerri13

Help please!
« on: November 19, 2013, 09:58:45 am »
I know these questions get asked a lot, and I've tried searching past forums but I still need help.

We've had our tub a couple weeks, 370 gallon, has ozonator, using bromine. We were stupid and had a few people over and forgot to shock after, and two days later the water was green and cloudy with zero bromine level.  :-\ We shocked with an MPS shock, attempted to adjust for pH, and the water is no longer cloudy but we're pretty sure there is still a green tint to it. I've been messing with everything for about a week, and this is where we are currently at this morning:

Clear, slightly green water
TBr: 5
Alk 240
pH 8.4
CH 100

I just added 3 tsp pH decreaser (I am having to do this daily. We are using the walmart brand (our first mistake? We already ran out of the probably better kind that came with our starter kit). I had to add a total of 6 tsp yesterday. When I retested it was normal range, and then this morning Alk and pH are both high again. Alk has always been on high side)

I ordered some calcium increaser, not sure if raising the CH will do much other than decrease foaming, though?

Why are the pH and Alk always so high? I don't know what could be changing it because we haven't even got in the thing for a week due to us being pretty sure it's not safe. Is the pH decreaser even going to affect the alkalinity? It seems to lower it a little bit then it goes right back up. I think I read once that using bromine affects the pH, but if I'm not mistaken it actually lowers it, right?

Will the water stay green inevitably? I realize someone is probably going to tell me to just drain the water, but I'm not seeing that as a possibility because unfortunately the temps are going to go below freezing at least at night for the foreseeable future. Hopefully if I can get the pH/alk corrected the water will look better.. ?

Hot Tub Forum

Help please!
« on: November 19, 2013, 09:58:45 am »

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
Re: Help please!
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2013, 06:45:23 pm »
Change the water. I have urged my customers to change the water at the end of the first 30 days of ownership. One-time deal, it makes everything all right again.

You just got there a week early.

HTH

8)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Hot Tub Forum

Re: Help please!
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2013, 06:45:23 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42