What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: best place to buy new pump  (Read 2094 times)

steeler4life

best place to buy new pump
« on: November 17, 2013, 08:10:50 pm »
I have a 2207 model viking with 1 5hp pump. It started making a humming noise a few days ago I assume the pump is on its way out. Where is the best place to buy new pump

Hot Tub Forum

best place to buy new pump
« on: November 17, 2013, 08:10:50 pm »

steeler4life

Re: best place to buy new pump
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2013, 11:26:57 am »
So today I wake up and the pump is much louder. Is there anything I can do to repair the pump. Its still working and the temp is good. What should I do?

TwinCitiesHotSpring

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2013, 01:15:49 pm »
sounds like the bearings are shot, you could remove the pump and have the motor rebuilt by an electrical motor shop, but honestly buying a new replacement motor may be worth the few extra bucks vs. having it rebuilt

clover

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2013, 12:58:22 pm »
I have a 2207 model viking with 1 5hp pump. It started making a humming noise a few days ago I assume the pump is on its way out. Where is the best place to buy new pump
I would suggest your dealer, in your opinion that may cost a little more, but in the long run, I might suggest it would be cheaper than trying to find a frugal solution.  But first, you should know it is not a 5 horse power pump.  Focus on the volts and the amps on the motor label.

You indicate the motor hums, which indicates a bad start capacitor.  That is a simple fix.  Check with a motor shop for the solution, which does not require motor replacement. 

You then indicate the motor is getting louder, which indicates a motor rotation noise, different than the humming noise, that would be the bearings that have had the lubrication washed out by a neglected pump seal leak at the motor shaft which would be evidenced by white chemical crystals between the motor and the pump housing.  You can have the motor rebuilt, but experience tells me, it is cheaper to pay more to replace the aging pump, that will then last longer.
Trying to be the unbaised voice of reason.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2013, 12:58:22 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42