What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: electrical  (Read 2194 times)

pool_shark_dc

electrical
« on: October 26, 2013, 11:15:39 pm »
nobody answered my other post so i may have narrowed it down a bit.  been looking at many other posts and my voltages seem to be different then what others are posting..

where power comes in at the power block on the spa
red to neutral is 246
black to neutral is .2
red to black is 246
neutral to ground is 120

other posts i have seen show red to neu at 120 and black to neutral at 120... neutral to ground at 0

where am i hooked up wrong or what gives ??
« Last Edit: October 26, 2013, 11:18:19 pm by pool_shark_dc »

Hot Tub Forum

electrical
« on: October 26, 2013, 11:15:39 pm »

geprice

Re: electrical
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2013, 11:40:05 pm »

You may have ruined the necessary GFCI(s) with 120v on the Neutral, if you are using them. You may have killed the controller also.

" i have nothing on the control panel"  - Are you saying the display is blank or no power there?
" checked resistance on the transformer per Calspa tech and still no avail."  No what avail?
"i can manually get the pumps to work by using a screwdriver and manually pushing the point contacts together... dont know if that helps"    Don't do that. 

Don't try to power it until you resolve your issues. 

red to neutral is 246  -  Abnormal reading.  Neutral appears to be wired hot.
black to neutral is .2  -  Suspect both are hot with same leg.
red to black is 246  -  Normal reading.
neutral to ground is 120  -  Abnormal reading.  Neutral appears to be wired hot.

bob snader

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2013, 08:43:30 am »
nobody answered my other post so i may have narrowed it down a bit.  been looking at many other posts and my voltages seem to be different then what others are posting..

where power comes in at the power block on the spa
red to neutral is 246
black to neutral is .2
red to black is 246
neutral to ground is 120

other posts i have seen show red to neu at 120 and black to neutral at 120... neutral to ground at 0

where am i hooked up wrong or what gives ??
Merely in the interest of saving you a possible fortune.....
This is pretty basic stuff so if you don't know it then I strongly suggest you hire some one who does because you can seriously fry your controllers/switches beyond repair, and what's even worse... you can fry the new ones you install.

At minimum though I wouldn't connect those lines to anything at all until you have the voltages correct. For all intents and purposes ground and neutral are the exact same thing and in fact are even connected up to pretty much the same thing in your main breaker panel (ground... 0 volts). They are simply 2 of the same thing running in parallel for better protection in case one breaks so if you're getting a hot reading between the 2 then as the above posts suggests, you've got the neutral tied hot somewhere which has the potential to do some serious and unrepairable damage to just about anything you connect to. And not just the hot tub, but to your gfi and possibly your main breaker panel as well.

ADDED:
LOL! Sorry... I'm reading this back and I'm sounding like I'm treating you like you're stupid! That's not the case at all. Some people are merely good at some things and not with others. I'm pretty good at this stuff but stick a friggin chemistry book in front of me....
« Last Edit: October 28, 2013, 09:01:13 am by bob snader »

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2013, 08:43:30 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42