What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Help With Balboa Sytem In Marqui Spa  (Read 6353 times)

r33pwrd

Help With Balboa Sytem In Marqui Spa
« on: October 22, 2013, 09:58:42 pm »
So long story short this tub has been an ongoing issue for years with a FLO error code.  We have had a technician come out about a year and a half ago and paid a lot to have the flo switch replaced and it did not fix the problem.  Here is what I have done:

-Replaced heater element (it was bad and not related to the FLO error)

-Replace filters (also ran without filters)

-Replaced both temp sensors as I was getting very high temp reading (this fixed that problem)

-Removed cleaned and reinstalled circulation pump and flow switch.

-forced water throughout all the plumbing with a hose

-replaced FLO switch again (ordered part from Margui so I knew it was the correct one and it made no difference.)

So here I am now and the tub works great during warm up but once the spa is asked to maintain a temp it will get the error code FLO.  So new water it will run for almost 20 hours while warming up but once I reset the breaker (assuming the water is already at 104)  the flo error returns almost instantly.  Also when I flip the breaker I have to turn the jets on or it will get the error instantly.

I am not against paying a technician but I simply cannot afford (nor justify) spending thousands of dollars on a 15 year old tub.

it is a 199 Marqui Euphoria with the Balboa MTS97  heating system.

thank you for any help or advise you can lend :)

Hot Tub Forum

Help With Balboa Sytem In Marqui Spa
« on: October 22, 2013, 09:58:42 pm »

goneaway

Re: Help With Balboa Sytem In Marqui Spa
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2013, 07:39:00 am »
When you replaced the flow switch, did you adjust it at all.?

Not sure if this will help or indeed fix your fault, but page 76 in this manual talks about adjustment.

www.netroebuck.co.uk/SpaService2.pdf

Hope this helps.

r33pwrd

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2013, 12:27:44 pm »
Thank you for your reply.  This model uses the switch style flow switch not the pressure switch like in the link you posted so there is no adjustment (That I can tell)

goneaway

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2013, 03:42:57 am »
I've been looking to see if I can find a service manual on the web, and found a number of owners manuals.
http://www.spaparts123.net/Manuals/MarquisSpaManuals.html

Whilst it seems your particular model isn't listed, i did look at one around the 15 year old mark (1998), and it says "FLO Error"  Filter Plugged, Low Water Level
or A Flow Switch may have Malfunctioned"

Note it says A flow switch, would this indicate that there may be more than one ??

r33pwrd

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2013, 11:26:08 am »
it can be seen here on page 28 http://www.spaparts123.net/files/1999_Marquis_Spas_Owners_Manual.pdf

As far as I can tell there is only one flow switch in the system.

Thank you

goneaway

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2013, 03:23:44 am »
I guess then the only other logical explanation, is weak pump, faulty switch, or faulty pcb ?
If it's a flow switch rather than a pressure switch i'd assume that it has 2 states.
ON or OFF.
In which case, using a mutilmeter to figure out which way it works, i'd be tempted to short it out briefly and see if the error goes away.
There are some knowledgeable chaps on here, some of which i believe are dealers and engineers, i'm surprised no one has piped up with an informed solution yet.

TwinCitiesHotSpring

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2013, 02:36:57 pm »
circulation pump pushing enough water? did the technician test it when he was out?

r33pwrd

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2013, 12:38:28 pm »
circulation pump pushing enough water? did the technician test it when he was out?
No they did not test the circulation pump but if it was the pump would it not have the problem all the time? (Not just maintaining temp)

r33pwrd

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2013, 12:41:55 pm »
I guess then the only other logical explanation, is weak pump, faulty switch, or faulty pcb ?
If it's a flow switch rather than a pressure switch i'd assume that it has 2 states.
ON or OFF.
In which case, using a mutilmeter to figure out which way it works, i'd be tempted to short it out briefly and see if the error goes away.
There are some knowledgeable chaps on here, some of which i believe are dealers and engineers, i'm surprised no one has piped up with an informed solution yet.

Weak pump-  see post above.  Im not saying its not bad but I would think it would be weak under the heat up process as well. I did take it apart and the impeller looks fine. 
Faulty switch-  been replaced
Faulty PCB-  Im to the point where I am ASSUMING this is the case...  but at 500 bucks I don't want to guess.

As far as shorting the switch I have done this on the PCB and it does not change anything.  I think the issue is the PCB is smart and want to see the switch open when the pump is not running?

Thank you
« Last Edit: November 06, 2013, 12:52:13 pm by r33pwrd »

r33pwrd

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2013, 12:44:33 pm »
Again during the heat up cycle the error code is not there it is one the hot tub toggles from heating to not heating than the code appears.

bob snader

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2013, 08:50:13 pm »
As far as shorting the switch I have done this on the PCB and it does not change anything.
If you have done this and it doesn't change anything then it is clearly the board and you will have to replace it.

r33pwrd

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2013, 10:25:27 pm »
Thank you for the input.  Any good Marqui spa dealers to buy the board from?

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2013, 10:51:53 pm »
 Some of those Balboa systems you have to replace the entire pack, may not be true for older mdls, find the part number on the circuit board usually in a corner of the board and look online for the part.  Will most likely be less than a dealer..  also FYI one temp sensor, one high limit and one flow or pressure switch.  Flow switch is not adjustable, pressure switch is but is rarely the problem.

thetuglife

« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2015, 08:03:50 am »
im curious if you ever solved this issue. I have the exact same problem. I have tested the switch and it works fine. Everything will be fine, and then i get this fl and she shuts down. I posted a detailed question today with the exact same symptoms.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2015, 08:03:50 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42