What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: How much space for a tub?  (Read 15160 times)

buzzsaw90

How much space for a tub?
« on: August 13, 2013, 11:40:27 am »
Thinking about buying a tub and building a deck to place it on. If the tub is 8X8 how big a deck would i need to comfortably house it? I have a 12 X 18 space to work with and am not sure if that's enough.

Hot Tub Forum

How much space for a tub?
« on: August 13, 2013, 11:40:27 am »

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
Re: How much space for a tub?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2013, 11:59:14 am »
With proper clearance around the deck (different spas may require different clearances on different sides), an 8x8 deck would support and 8x8 spa.

If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

buzzsaw90

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2013, 12:22:41 pm »
This'd be an elevated deck...maybe 3 feet up, with railings/stairs round the sides.

So i figure i'd need some room round the tub for panel access, some room for cover storage, some room for steps and space to be able to walk around it a bit.

kporter

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2013, 02:56:48 pm »
I would go 10' 6" x 10' 6" for an 8' x 8' tub.
I suggest talking with your local dealer and finding a hot tub you might actually consider for your deck.
Where is the main access panel? Do you want a cover lifter? Which way will it fold? What side do you want the steps on? Where do you want your favourite seats facing? (that could effect the access panel placement).

Hard for any of us to tell you exactly imo.

Porter

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2013, 04:57:21 pm »
If you have 12x18 that's the size I would go or however big you can go. You can never have to much deck space. Maybe you want a side table and a couple chairs or a towel rack or anything. One thing I have learned with decks if you can build it bigger, build it bigger.
Retired

buzzsaw90

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2013, 09:07:05 am »
12 X 18 is the biggest i could build. Given that i'm just trying to work out how big a tub would be impractible in that space. Difficult to service, place the cover, have room for a few chairs etc.

I guess another way of asking is, if i put it in the corner of a deck, how much clearance should i allow between the tub and the walls?

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2013, 09:48:49 am »
If you have 12x18 that's the size I would go or however big you can go. You can never have to much deck space. Maybe you want a side table and a couple chairs or a towel rack or anything. One thing I have learned with decks if you can build it bigger, build it bigger.

Ditto.  I would go as big as possible. You'll  need to figure in space for steps, as well as room for a cover lifter and when the cover is folded back behind the tub. You will need enough room to access inside the  panel, and room to get at the any drains.  You will also want to be able to walk around around the tub to knock snow off the cover.
07 Caldera Geneva

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2013, 04:25:34 pm »
12 X 18 is the biggest i could build. Given that i'm just trying to work out how big a tub would be impractible in that space. Difficult to service, place the cover, have room for a few chairs etc.

I guess another way of asking is, if i put it in the corner of a deck, how much clearance should i allow between the tub and the walls?

The more room you leave around the sides for service access the better with a couple feet minimum.
Retired

buzzsaw90

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2013, 02:24:11 pm »
Just got a quote for the Caldera Cantabria $14,350 (+tax) including

cover
steps
bunch o chems
delivery standard labor (set-up?)
cover lifter
220v Subpanel

so a bit over 15K. So if anyone has any spare change...

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2013, 02:38:38 pm »
Just got a quote for the Caldera Cantabria $14,350 (+tax) including

cover
steps
bunch o chems
delivery standard labor (set-up?)
cover lifter
220v Subpanel

so a bit over 15K. So if anyone has any spare change...

I'd plan the deck to give myself about 3 ft on the sides and back for service. For the front you need that much also but I'd plan for some more in case you want to put a table or something out front and you don't want to cramp the front side as much as the sides/back. Pay attention to the specified weight of the filled/occupied spa when building that deck, especially for bigger spas like you are considering.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

buzzsaw90

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2013, 03:13:16 pm »
Yes, the thing looks like it's over 3 tons full. We're evolved our thinking to putting it on our stamped concrete patio (500 sq. ft.) instead of building a new deck for $4k

The wife is now looking for a quote from a local Delaware store to save a almost a grand on the sales tax

Spoiledrotten

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2013, 08:15:11 am »
Don't forget to post some pics of the process, no matter which design you choose.  ;)
"A bend in the road is not the end of the road... unless you fail to make the turn."

buzzsaw90

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2013, 03:38:01 pm »
Boom. Signed and sealed. Got the Cantabria with full setup for $13,100. Just need to get the wiring (70 amps) set up before it arrives. Sounds like another $800 for that.

I'll have to take a picture of the spreadsheet that shows what the layout will be and upload that until it arrives.

buzzsaw90

« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2013, 03:19:32 pm »

Let's see if this works. Here's the layout for where the tub will be on my concrete patio

oohh...i feel so tech savvy. I did that in Excel and each square is 6 inches by 6 inches
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 03:26:23 pm by buzzsaw90 »

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2013, 04:27:01 pm »
Well done though it looks like a screen shot from Super Nintendo. You should have stuck Mario in there with a drink in hand.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 04:29:03 pm by Spatech_tuo »
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2013, 04:27:01 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42