What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Need Advice on Moving New Hot Tub from Garage to Patio  (Read 23621 times)

Pers Onal

Re: Need Advice on Moving New Hot Tub from Garage to Patio
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2014, 01:14:48 pm »
  I plan on hauling it down the road with a two place snowmobile trailer.  I don't know, maybe I'm crazy for doing this, but I'm saving a huge amount of money.

I would check the GVWR on that trailer, and payload.

If you can stabilize the tub horizontally, you might get  by, but I wouldn't do it with the tub vertical. You won't save anything if that load gets away from you.

As far as PVC goes, I was under the impression that smaller diamter was better and stronger. Dunno if that is accurate.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2014, 01:14:48 pm »

Isaac-1

« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2014, 01:23:20 pm »
the problem with small diameter PVC is it requires a smooth surface to roll on. even heavilly textured concrete is a problem.  I used 1/2 and 3/4 inch scrap pvc I had on hand to move my Jetsetter, part of the move was across pebble finshed concrete and it kept getting hung up with the small PVC.

Ike

DamSam

« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2014, 02:01:06 pm »
How about 2-1" or 2" x 14' to 16' nylon slings slung under the tub about 18" in from each end and a 2x4 or 2" sch 40 pipe about 7-8 feet long through the eyes of the slings and 4 guys? Make the slings just long enough to go under the spa and about 2-3 foot up each side. so you are just straightening your legs to lift it 4-6 inches. Pick guys all the same height preferably your big friends.....LOL Put the strongest guys on the equipment side. Easy smeasy. 2 beers each. Might as well feed em some snacks then kick em out.

Best answer yet. If you have ever seen moving companies work, this is the way they carry oversized heavy items.
Average tub = 800lbs (aprox average) using two long straps x four people = around 200lbs each.
(Pallbearer style) 800lbs tub using three long straps x six people = 134lbs each.
If you have the room this makes the most sense to me.

Isaac-1

« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2014, 05:35:45 pm »
I would suggest using caution if your thinking about getting half a dozen strong guys to carry the tub, one person slips at the wrong time and you could be looking at serious injuries, and liablity.  I would think rolling it on pipes is much safer.

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2014, 06:10:58 pm »
There is no doubt that rolling it on PVC pipe is the safer route, 2" is best. However it is also very slow and terrain limited. If you carry it your done in 15-30 minutes, 5-10 worth of moving the tub and 20-25 of drinking beer and laughing at how easy that was. And if you drop it because someone slips it drops what 4 inches? I doubt anyone will get hurt.
Retired

Topline Mike

« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2014, 09:23:10 pm »
I think someone mentioned this earlier, but I'm pretty sure it's best to lay the pvc pipes down on the ground parallel with the direction you are moving the tub, and sliding the tub on top of the pipes.  I think laying them down perpendicular with the direction you are moving the tub would also work, but not as well. 

Isaac-1

« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2014, 09:58:50 pm »
this likely depends on the terrain, all the youtube videos show rolling on the pipes, although most show metal pipe not pvc

rosewoodsteel

« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2014, 01:49:40 pm »
Not trying to be ugly here, but I wish you had left that last statement off. Taking the product back after you use it...  If you can't afford $6.00 worth of PVC .....   >:(
Hopefully, you will scar it up real bad during the using of it.

My thoughts, exactly, when I read this a while back.  Why stick it to HD or Lowes?   Enough money will be saved by doing the move yourself.    I purchased (3) 3/4" sheets of plywood when we moved the Artic Klondiker a few weeks ago.   Hey, I'm going to use the plywood for a cat walk in my attic.   Imo, just give the piping to someone who can use it (maybe one of the folks helping with the move).     Just my opinion (and we all know what they say about opinions...) 

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2014, 05:32:02 pm »
Make bottle rocket launchers. Have a heck of a display this july.
Retired

rosewoodsteel

« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2014, 07:15:49 pm »
Well, how did your tub move go?

Topline Mike

« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2014, 08:29:35 pm »
rosewood, if you are asking me, I haven't got it yet.  Planning either Thursday or Friday this week.  I have 4 snowmobile dolly carts that I am bringing with me.  Mine are similar to the picture below, but have sides on them so I can lay a 2X6 in between each.   I'm also bringing 6 sheets of plywood to lay on the ground and leap frog them until I reach the driveway.  Once tub is on the snowmobile trailer, I plan to build a box around the hot tub with the plywood to protect it when I'm on the road, and I won't have to take off the cover this way, either.  Just like a football play, plan is in place, now I just have to execute! 

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2014, 06:09:29 am »
Careful of those dolly's. Snowmobile 3-4 hundred. Hot tub 7-8 hundred.
Retired

rosewoodsteel

« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2014, 07:49:41 am »
Use wooden dollies. We broke BOTH of the plastic dollies when the tub weight was on them.  They were each rated for 1000lbs.

Topline Mike

« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2014, 08:29:50 am »
My dollies are metal, and I actually have 6 of them.  If this plan fails, I will also have 2.5" galvanized pipe that I will bring along, recycled from an old batting cage in my community.  Thanks for everyone's thoughts on this. 

Pers Onal

« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2014, 10:38:39 am »
hey, I'm glad to learn the proper size PVC is more like 2".

I will note that if you have a level, flat surface such as a deck or on a hardwood floor thru the house (my route) the way to use them is as rollers perpendicular to the tub, six or seven under the tub rotating 3 or 4 from the back to the front as you roll along.

Did that when moving it in, works surprisingly well. 13 years ago, can't really remember size but I think it was 1 1/2" in something like four or four and a half foot lengths.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2014, 10:38:39 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42