What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Long time hot tub desirer, first-time buyer  (Read 1933 times)

JimB

Long time hot tub desirer, first-time buyer
« on: July 06, 2013, 04:56:31 pm »
Hi all -

I am new to this forum but have been looking at a number of really helpful posts over the past couple days - thanks!  Here is my solicitation for advice, accompanied by what I have gleaned from the discussions.  Please feel free to add your $0.02, or correct any misperceptions I may have.  I have wanted a hot tub for a long time (parents had one when I was a kid), but they are a 'big-ticket' item, so it has taken a while to get to this point.  I numbered my questions below, and appreciate any suggestions on these or related issues that come to mind.

One lesson I have gotten from this forum is that the dealer matters.  In a big way.  We are in a bit of a rural area, and have two dealers: "A" sells Sundance and Artisian, and "B" Hot Springs.  We are looking for a 5-ish person tub (4 in family).  I have visited both dealers and wet-tested several tubs.  I have also visited and wet-tested in a major metro area 3 hrs away to compare experiences.

I liked the Sundance and Artisian tubs, but dealer "A" left me ready to not really consider these further - even though the store was empty he seemed to not want to really inform us about the products and was not very helpful.  There were bugs and grime inside the dry tubs near windows to the point where the family (wife + 2 young teens) didn't want to get in.  Dealer "B" was informative and upfront (advised against salt system, extras like TV/sound, price) and seemed like someone who would provide good support and service.  This is not meant to be a global reflection of dealers - just my experience with some in my immediate area with whom I'd be dealing.
1: Am I overemphasizing the role of the dealer?  Should I reconsider products at dealer A despite the concerns of support left by visit?
2: We came away with the HS Envoy as the early leader.  Any who can share experiences/concerns/etc?
3: At the two HS dealers, the Envoy was quoted $11,200 at the metro location, $9800 at my local location, not including tax, but including delivery and setup (electrical hookup to 220V box we have installed) and getting it initially running.  Does one negotiate on hot tubs?  I really have no sense of this - seems like some say yes, some no.  On one forum a HS dealer noted they price theirs $10 over invoice, so no negotiation - but the spread in prices for the two tubs makes me question this.
4.  A couple have noted online that the top mistake of first-time buyers is to "buy too much tub".  Would you agree on this?

My main concerns is getting a good product that we use and enjoy and provides reliability.  I'd rather pay a little more (but not a lot) for peace of mind.  If it has problems, we can't use it and the investment diminishes. 

We are in the early stages of a decision, and appreciate the advice of "those who have gone before us".  Any input on any of the questions above would be very helpful.

Thanks - and we look forward to joining the official ranks in the coming months!

-Jim

Hot Tub Forum

Long time hot tub desirer, first-time buyer
« on: July 06, 2013, 04:56:31 pm »

Sam

Re: Long time hot tub desirer, first-time buyer
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2013, 05:24:45 pm »
Good questions.  You sound like you are doing thorough research.  Imo, the dealer is the 2nd most important factor in a tub besides quality of construction.  I do not feel that you are overemphasizing dealer.  If they don't care enough to keep their floor models clean, nice and bug free, I would certainly be nervous about their customer service.

They envoy is an awesome tub by a great manufacturer.  I can't speak as to price, but there are many on here who own that tub and love it.  Can't recall every seeing a bad review.

You ask about negotiating.  Some dealers do, some don't.  You have nothing to lose by asking for a better deal.  I would  definitely make a counter offer on their quoted price.  There usually isn't a ton of room, but maybe a free cover lift or something in that price range. 

Good luck in your search!

Hot Tub Forum

Re: Long time hot tub desirer, first-time buyer
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2013, 05:24:45 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42