What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Help please!!!  (Read 4330 times)

Growler

Help please!!!
« on: July 03, 2013, 06:28:39 am »
First off Hi everyone and thanks in advance for any help you lot can give ;D

little bit of background for you all
My In laws got a 2 person spa about 2 years ago and used it regulary upto Feb of this year with no problems with my father in law maintaining it
Unfortunatly he passed away in April and I have been tasked with the job.
the main problem is he didn't write any thing down and I seem to be rubbish at it :(
We have a major problem with keeping the water usable at the moment it gasses you the second the pumps start up and I can't figure out what I am doing wrong
I have tried shocking it using 30g of clorine and that didn't touch it
The mother in law is ready to empty in and turn it off for good so any help to get this right would be great

Cheers Max

Hot Tub Forum

Help please!!!
« on: July 03, 2013, 06:28:39 am »

Spoiledrotten

Re: Help please!!!
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2013, 08:12:20 am »
By gassing you, do you mean that when you turn the pumps on, the water would get very cloudy/airy looking and emit a very strong Clorox smell?

If that is your problem, what is being used in the spa, chorine, bromine, other?

I had a problem like the one I described and was informed that it was due to a buildup of bromine, where I left the floating bromine capsule in the water and caused the problem. I had missed about a week of "soaks" and the bromine built up in the water. I was also told that bromine doesn't "gas" out like chlorine does. It just keeps getting strong, and will get to a point where it can be a real health risk.
"A bend in the road is not the end of the road... unless you fail to make the turn."

Growler

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2013, 08:32:35 am »
By gassing you, do you mean that when you turn the pumps on, the water would get very cloudy/airy looking and emit a very strong Clorox smell?

Yes that the problem
We use clorine and On refilling the spa a couple of weeks ago with 720ltr I used 3gram of clorine and a PH+ to get everything right and it was fine until we used it, I think part of the problem is us not using enough clorine and we have a clorimide problem but even after shocking it with a non clorine shock treatment and then 24 hours later with 30grms of clorine we still can't get near the tub with the pump running

mattwelke

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2013, 01:49:05 am »
Take a water sample into any hot tub dealer. They will test your water for you and sell you any chenicals. Its possible you could have a water softness or ph issue that might be giving you issues.

Id do that before you dump your water.

Growler

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2013, 02:41:43 am »
Too late my son emptied it yesterday!
So we are now starting from scratch again but my regime should work better
On filling I tested and ph was down so added 10 g of ph+ waited 40 mins as instructed and tested again found it just in range
Then added 15 g of chlorine and left to heat
We will be using it later today and I will add a further 5 g of chlorine afterwards
I have also set up a weeks worth of 5 g doses of chlorine for the mother in law to use and will be testing a minimum of Saturday and Wednesday as we will definatly be using it those days
So fingers crossed all will be well

Sorry for asking the same question you have had so many times! I did do a search but it does help if you spell chlorine correctly!

mattwelke

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2013, 10:28:54 am »
I would still take a sample in to get tested. Bring in 1 liter. You could prevent the same problem from occuring.

I dont think anyone here can truely diagnose your issue without testing your water. You may have a calcium issue or something else you may be missing with your test kit or ph strips.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2013, 10:28:54 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42