What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: hot tubs and vacations  (Read 5071 times)

HT2020

hot tubs and vacations
« on: June 10, 2013, 01:12:15 pm »
My hot tub is almost due for a drain and refill.  However, I am planning not to use it for 10 days since I will be away.  My question is should I drain it, leave it empty for 10 days and then refill it when I return? Or should I drain it, refill it and then leave on vacation?  When I'm gone should I keep the tub at minimal heat? Currently I'm using dichlor each day; how much dichlor should I throw in there to last for the 10 days that I'll be away for? When I get back can I simply add some more dichlor and start using it again?

Hot Tub Forum

hot tubs and vacations
« on: June 10, 2013, 01:12:15 pm »

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
Re: hot tubs and vacations
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2013, 02:03:16 pm »
If no one is using the tub, while you are away  I'd sanitize the tub just before you leave, and not worry about it. Change the water when you get back.  (And since we are in the warm months, and you will be changing the water out, sure turn the water temp down. )

I assume your tub has a daily automatic filtration cycle? Does it have and ozone system?
07 Caldera Geneva

HT2020

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2013, 03:24:01 pm »
It's a Vanguard hot springs tub 2013.  It's brand new and this would be my first water change. The problem is that I have to drain it anyway because I need to move it a few inches.  Therefore, after it's empty I was wondering if I should just leave it that way for a few weeks until I return or if I should fill it and have it working while I'm gone?  Is there any downside to leaving it empty for a few weeks eg: problems with seals, internal components etc?  Obviously it would be easier and more cost effective to leave it drained and without power while I'm gone but I don't want to do anything that may damage it.

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2013, 03:43:33 pm »
If you drain it,  make sure you use a shop vac to get all water out of the lines.   Otherwise the stagnant water will go bad.  Also an empty hot tub in the hot sun is not good for the shell.

The vanguard, has a circ pump, daily filtration and and ozenator.   I would shock the tub, put in some dichlor and not worry about it.

You mentioned you use dichlor everyday. Is this because you use the tub everyday?  I would only use the dichlor after the tub is used. There is not need to be adding dichlor every day unless you are introducing bacteria into the tub (IE using it).
07 Caldera Geneva

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2013, 04:27:17 pm »
This is what I've been telling people, for over 25 years, and been quite successful with.

Assuming there's NO POSSIBLE CHANCE of freezing conditions...

Shock the spa with 1 Tablespoons di-chlor right before leaving. Close the cover tightly, and turn off power to the spa. When you return, turn on the power, shock the spa again, and you should be good to go....though in your case, since you're ready to do a water change any ways, upon returning shock the spa and change the water.

The theory here is that the initial shock virtually sterilizes the water, leaving nothing in it to grow. Keeping the cover on tightly prevents any sunlight from getting in, so algae wont grow. It also keeps out most air circulation (air naturally has mold and mildew spore's, and bacteria particles). Shutting the power off allows the water to cool (cooler water is less supportive to any growth), and wont cause air borne particles to mix into the water, where they can begin growing.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

TwinCitiesHotSpring

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2013, 04:52:23 pm »
10 days isn't a big deal...add a good healthy dose of chlorine, turn the temp down to 80 and enjoy your vacation

HT2020

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2013, 11:24:49 am »
If you drain it,  make sure you use a shop vac to get all water out of the lines.   Otherwise the stagnant water will go bad.  Also an empty hot tub in the hot sun is not good for the shell.

The vanguard, has a circ pump, daily filtration and and ozenator.   I would shock the tub, put in some dichlor and not worry about it.

You mentioned you use dichlor everyday. Is this because you use the tub everyday?  I would only use the dichlor after the tub is used. There is not need to be adding dichlor every day unless you are introducing bacteria into the tub (IE using it).

I use dichlor every day after I use the tub.  It's a Vanguard HS 400 gallons and I use about 0.6 oz of dichlor.  I try to keep the FCL level about 1-3 ( I've got a silver stick and an ozonator).  Whenever I get out of the tub I measure the FCL and add more if it looks low.  If it's a bit on the high side I won't add the dichlor until the next day.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2013, 11:24:49 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42