What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Trying to make final decision  (Read 12723 times)

donl1150

Trying to make final decision
« on: April 21, 2013, 09:38:31 pm »
We are first timers in the market.  After considerable studying of spas to fit our needs, along with several dealer visits, we have narrowed it down to three:  1) Hot Springs Pulse ($8,200) or 2) Jacuzzi J-LX ($11,200) or 3) Marquis Promise ($8,100).   These are all quoted prices with no negotiating as of yet.  Right now I am thinking the Pulse is already their best offer while the Jacuzzi dealer has a lot of room to move.  Not too sure yet on the Marquis dealer. 

Price is not the biggest concern but rather I am more interested in thoughts of the quality of the 3 units being considered.  Would appreciate thoughts you  have had with your experience with any of them - good or bad.  We are located in central Minnesota so efficiency is a big factor.

We are also strongly considering the Covana automated gazebo.  Although a fairly significant cost ($7,000), it has many attractive attractive features.....excellent lock down safety, virtually no evaporation, never need to replace water logged cover, ease of use and built in screening.  Our other option is to add on to the house and that will likely run $12-15,000.  Anyone have experience with these units?  They seem like excellent quality.

Thanks and look forward to hearing from those more experienced.

Don

Hot Tub Forum

Trying to make final decision
« on: April 21, 2013, 09:38:31 pm »

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
Re: Trying to make final decision
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2013, 10:01:42 pm »
 I don't know much about the Marquis Promise, but comparing the JLX to the limelight pulse or promise most likely is not even close to apple for apple comparison for quite a few  reasons!!       As far as quality they are pretty equal, with the edge going to Jacuzzi being in a different league vs the pulse and the Promise which like mentioned I have not looked at yet..     Wet test yet?  If not do so then decide,  The JLX is an awesome spa and looks better than any I have seen, but it's spendy!      I think the J-345 or J-365 is a better fit and spa for what they offer.

Hot Spring Ace

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2013, 11:11:40 am »
I don't know much about the Marquis Promise, but comparing the JLX to the limelight pulse or promise most likely is not even close to apple for apple comparison for quite a few  reasons!!       As far as quality they are pretty equal, with the edge going to Jacuzzi being in a different league vs the pulse and the Promise which like mentioned I have not looked at yet..     Wet test yet?  If not do so then decide,  The JLX is an awesome spa and looks better than any I have seen, but it's spendy!      I think the J-345 or J-365 is a better fit and spa for what they offer.

I agree quality wise the Pulse and JXL should be considered even and there are differences otherwise but I don't agree that they're in different leagues. The Pulse has a few more jets and is bigger and deeper than the JXL but the JXL has more of the larger jets. The Pulse is ozone ready while the JXL has UV ozone installed which covers a few hundred dollars of the difference but otherwise they're pretty similar ... 2 pump systems plus a circ pump, fully insulated, I assume the JXL has a lot of lighting as the Pulse does. I think the JXLs are nice and I like the look but I don't see where that degree of price difference comes in but I guess thats for the consumer to decide.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2013, 11:24:12 am by Hot Spring Ace »

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2013, 05:37:56 pm »
We are first timers in the market.  After considerable studying of spas to fit our needs, along with several dealer visits, we have narrowed it down to three:  1) Hot Springs Pulse ($8,200) or 2) Jacuzzi J-LX ($11,200) or 3) Marquis Promise ($8,100).   These are all quoted prices with no negotiating as of yet.  Right now I am thinking the Pulse is already their best offer while the Jacuzzi dealer has a lot of room to move.  Not too sure yet on the Marquis dealer. 

Price is not the biggest concern but rather I am more interested in thoughts of the quality of the 3 units being considered.  Would appreciate thoughts you  have had with your experience with any of them - good or bad.  We are located in central Minnesota so efficiency is a big factor.

We are also strongly considering the Covana automated gazebo.  Although a fairly significant cost ($7,000), it has many attractive attractive features.....excellent lock down safety, virtually no evaporation, never need to replace water logged cover, ease of use and built in screening.  Our other option is to add on to the house and that will likely run $12-15,000.  Anyone have experience with these units?  They seem like excellent quality.

Don

Welcome fellow Minnesotan. Not sure about your area but we have received 2 major snow storms in the last 2 weeks totaling 40 inches of snow and a couple smaller storms in between for a few more inches and another 5-8" expected tonight. Nice huh? There is currently 24-30 inches of ice on my lake with fishing opener 3 weeks away. I hear upper 60's by this weekend? I live up by Duluth.

All 3 of the brands you have narrowed it down to are know to be well insulated for our area. The one thing I have found out over the years is if they are not well insulated in this area they don't last long. Lots of folks try box store or internet tubs only to find out later that the 100 or more per month electric bill increase average makes them regret their choice. The circ. pump and full foam insulation drive the average down to 30-40 per month. This will help over the long winter season. That's not to say that there aren't a few good brands that use an alternate insulation method. Arctic comes to mind and they can hold their own configured right. Good luck in your search and let your butt and wallet decide. Wet test if possible.
Retired

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2013, 06:07:15 pm »

Don

Al 3 are well respected brands. If those are your final 3 wet test each one and see which is best. Cahnces are one will stand out or one will not be up to par and you'll quickly have it narrowed down. In the end factor in the dealers, factor in the price of course if all else fails go with your gut.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

MarKee

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2013, 01:11:13 pm »
As far as quality, the Promise will be hard to beat.  I would urge you to have each dealer take off the equipment access panel on the 3 spas you are looking at and you will see some differences.

Like everyone has said, all three of the spas you are looking at are made by respected brands.  One thing that might sway your decision is that the Marquis Promise is the only spa made in America out of the three.

PrecisionPoolMA

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2013, 09:46:43 pm »
I agree with this, when  you see the inside of a Marquis Signature like the Promise, other spa guts just do NOt come close. Not that is matters THAT much because you never see that, (kind of like the engine under the hood) but it does show you the care that goes into the design and construction.

All models you are looking at are top notch. I really like the design details and overall fit and finish of the Marquis Spas, they are sharp!

donl1150

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2013, 07:12:11 pm »
Just an update folks.  We have narrowed our search to the Pulse and Jacuzzi.  The prices quoted above are very interesting, as it turns out.  The Pulse is from our local dealer, located 90 miles from the major Minnesota metropolitan area.  The Jacuzzi and Marquis prices are from dealers that we visited IN the metro area. 

We then visited a LOCAL Jacuzzi dealer and presto his first quote for the J-LX was $8,147.  I was shocked!  I told him we had just visited a metro Jacuzzi dealer.  He said "What was their price...$12,000?"   YEP!  He said you would be amazed at how many metro people that drive the 90 miles to buy from him. 

That tells a couple of things: 1) the price quoted by our local Hot Springs dealer is a good one and not a lot of room to move but more importantly; 2) the prices can vary wildly in this business, so buyer beware.

As for the Covana, it sure looks like a GREAT product.  But, his $7k price tag (keep in mind it is the same Hot Spring dealer) tells me it should sell for $4,500.  That has led us down the road of adding a screened porch to the house.  We can get that done for even less.

Off the the local Hot Spring dealer tomorrow to see if we can get an extra $100 off.....if not, it is still a good deal.

Don

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2013, 08:04:22 pm »
   8100.00 is a great price..   Regardless of what the HSA said the JLX is quite different from the pulse.   2 vs one filter, a high flo circ and yes the jets are more dynamic than the pulse.   I could try and explain the difference to him but like most HS dealers it wouldn't make a difference.   The look alone sets it aside from most spa's out there.    Personally I like the J-345 better but thats me, if he is at 8147.00 on the JLX might be worth pricing out the J-365 or J-345 and see where he comes in yet.. 

Big question is have you wet tested either??   

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2013, 10:49:44 pm »
The prices are what ever the market will bare. If the in town dealer can get 2-3 grand more most times his price will be 2-3 grand more. That my friends is the American way.
Retired

Water Boy

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2013, 10:19:20 am »
The prices are what ever the market will bare. If the in town dealer can get 2-3 grand more most times his price will be 2-3 grand more. That my friends is the American way.

Hes right. For another example, you are being quoted 8100 on the Pulse, but this other guy in another thread is being quoted around 6k for the same spa. So, it obviously really can vary from market to market.http://www.whatsthebest-hottub.com/forum/index.php/topic,16583.0.html

I would do as others said though and wet test both if you can, and that should help make the decision.
Arctic Spas Dealer of the Year- 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009

10-79

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2013, 10:49:08 am »

Hes right. For another example, you are being quoted 8100 on the Pulse, but this other guy in another thread is being quoted around 6k for the same spa. So, it obviously really can vary from market to market.http://www.whatsthebest-hottub.com/forum/index.php/topic,16583.0.html

I would do as others said though and wet test both if you can, and that should help make the decision.

Just wanted to point out I typo'd that post about the Pulse being quoted by the dealer as $6,000.  It was actually the Limelight Bolt.  Sorry for the confusion.

Water Boy

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2013, 12:18:31 pm »

Just wanted to point out I typo'd that post about the Pulse being quoted by the dealer as $6,000.  It was actually the Limelight Bolt.  Sorry for the confusion.

That makes more sense! Thanks for clarifying!
Arctic Spas Dealer of the Year- 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009

TwinCitiesHotSpring

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2013, 12:29:18 pm »
Don,

you came in and saw the Covana + Pulse at our Western Suburb location...I happened to be on vacation and you spoke with Greg...if you have any questions you can send me a message here or call the store..Thank You

Hot Spring Ace

« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2013, 01:33:00 pm »

You can delete that bookmark and I'm glad that mistake got cleared up because $6k for a Pulse is not even remotely realistic.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2013, 01:33:00 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42