What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: First Timer Comparing Used Hot Spring versus new Free Flow  (Read 24643 times)

jazzykeen

First Timer Comparing Used Hot Spring versus new Free Flow
« on: April 18, 2013, 01:13:00 pm »
Hello all, this will be our first time purchasing a hot tub. I have been reading this forum as well as researching different models and dealers and it is all a bit overwhelming! We are looking for something in the $3000-5000 range- nothing terribly fancy, but we want a 6 person tub.

Our local Hot Spring dealer has several used models- one is a 2006  Sovereign for $3995.00 + tax (+ $500.00 for delivery).  The other is a Vanguard (2007) $4595.00 + tax (+ $500.00 for delivery). Since they are used, they only carry a 90 day warranty. I'm not sure if these are good deals or not- maybe someone can advise.

Another local dealer sells Artesian tubs, Caldera and FreeFlow. She said the only models she has in that price range are the FreeFlow Excursion and Monterrey.

That said, which would you choose- the used Hot Spring or the new FreeFlow? Thank you in advance!

Hot Tub Forum

First Timer Comparing Used Hot Spring versus new Free Flow
« on: April 18, 2013, 01:13:00 pm »

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
Re: First Timer Comparing Used Hot Spring versus new Free Flow
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2013, 05:53:18 pm »
I would choose the vanguard over freeflow. Any dealers sell nordic or Viking in your area.  They make some good budget friendly tubs that have nice features.  The vanguard is a great tub and buying from a dealer it should be in good shape

Hot Spring Ace

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2013, 06:54:43 pm »
Hello all, this will be our first time purchasing a hot tub. I have been reading this forum as well as researching different models and dealers and it is all a bit overwhelming! We are looking for something in the $3000-5000 range- nothing terribly fancy, but we want a 6 person tub.

Our local Hot Spring dealer has several used models- one is a 2006  Sovereign for $3995.00 + tax (+ $500.00 for delivery).  The other is a Vanguard (2007) $4595.00 + tax (+ $500.00 for delivery). Since they are used, they only carry a 90 day warranty. I'm not sure if these are good deals or not- maybe someone can advise.

Another local dealer sells Artesian tubs, Caldera and FreeFlow. She said the only models she has in that price range are the FreeFlow Excursion and Monterrey.

That said, which would you choose- the used Hot Spring or the new FreeFlow? Thank you in advance!

Freeflow is a great choice for a new spa where your budget doesn't allow you to go $6k or 8k or... On the other hand a good used spa from a dealer with a 90 day warranty is also a good way to go. Which is better? There is no simple answer. Its like deciding between a new $18k car or a dealer certified used (I mean "pre-owned") BMW for the same price. Continue to negotiate on both by telling them you are at the decision stage and need their absolute best offer and go with whichever makes the most sense to you.

brillskill

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2013, 08:52:29 pm »
I recently purchased a geo spa made by calspas,this forum hats calspa but I am very happy with it ..if you can go to $5500 way fair.com sells a great Nordic at an unbeatable price

escapecar

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2013, 12:01:30 am »
Can't really comment on the new/used question....but here's something to consider.  I have a 2011 Vanguard, and I love it. But it only has 5 "regular" seats (+ the cool down) and it would be pretty tight for 6 people.

But maybe that's the way you want it.  ;)

jazzykeen

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2013, 11:27:42 am »
Thanks for the replies! It turns out we do have a dealer that sells Vikings in our area. They are more of a hot tub/pool outlet type place so I'm not sure if that makes a difference versus a dedicated hot tub dealer.

We are going to check out the two used Hot Spring tubs tomorrow. I'm thinking if I can talk the dealer down a bit I might just pull the trigger on one of them since it sounds like that is a consistently good brand. I was just a little concerned about the age- how long do these tubs typically last? Can I expect to get much more use out of a 6 or 7 year old tub?

Also, will an older model be a lot less energy efficient than a brand new one, or is the difference pretty negligible?

« Last Edit: April 19, 2013, 11:31:03 am by jazzykeen »

brillskill

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2013, 11:54:52 am »
again..do yourself a favor and check out nordic tubs..you can get a new one with a great warantee in your price range...

jazzykeen

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2013, 12:07:15 pm »
I'm a little bit wary of buying something as large as a hot tub online. Especially since the shipping is curbside. I'd have to hire someone to move it into my backyard and set it up. How did you handle that aspect? As far as the warranty, how do you get service? Does the company you bought it from send you parts if it needs repairs and you then have to hire a third party (or maybe you have enough technical skill to fix it yourself- I definitely do not!).

brillskill

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2013, 12:15:02 pm »
many dealers sell nordic..you can check them out hands on and pay a little more for dealer service or buy through wayfair ,,wayfair will literally just drop it off in your driveway...i hired a spa mover for 300 bucks to bring my geo to its resting place but still ended up saving thousands..if you buy the nordic from the internet ,when you register it they will have there closest dealer service it anyway..personally if i go into a local business and they help me than i would buy from them as long as the premium wasnt ridiculous,,its just the right thing to do..my purchase was internet only never visited a dealer

brillskill

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2013, 12:17:05 pm »
the company that makes the hot tub provides the warantee through your closest certified dealer..,.basically the same as if you bought it at the dealer

brillskill

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2013, 12:20:13 pm »
y does my spell check spell it warantee??..lol !!!

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2013, 12:45:54 pm »
many dealers sell nordic..you can check them out hands on and pay a little more for dealer service or buy through wayfair ,,wayfair will literally just drop it off in your driveway...i hired a spa mover for 300 bucks to bring my geo to its resting place but still ended up saving thousands..if you buy the nordic from the internet ,when you register it they will have there closest dealer service it anyway..personally if i go into a local business and they help me than i would buy from them as long as the premium wasnt ridiculous,,its just the right thing to do..my purchase was internet only never visited a dealer

The nordic dealer DOES NOT  service internet purchases under warranty.  As a Nordic dealer myself I asked about this to the factory.  Wayfair apparently has a warranty center you would have to contact.  Basically wayfair is selling the 3 models that Nordic discontinued as they were there lower sellers.  They came out with an Encore series that replaced the Escape Premium R and the rendezvous was appaerently not a huge seller though I have had good luck with it personally.  You should be able to get similar pricing at a store depending on where you are located.  The thing I will say about Nordic is the have been great as far as reliability as I get very few under warranty to fix.  The warranty is also very good 3 year on equipment, 10 year on cabinet and lifetime on the shell.

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2013, 12:47:34 pm »
the company that makes the hot tub provides the warantee through your closest certified dealer..,.basically the same as if you bought it at the dealer

Incorrect

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2013, 12:56:14 pm »
Common misconception/assumption
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2013, 01:30:55 pm »
A dealer does not have to honor a warrantee on any tub he did not sell. He can choose to but it is not mandatory.
Retired

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2013, 01:30:55 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42