What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: In ground vs. portable  (Read 4183 times)

HT2020

In ground vs. portable
« on: March 23, 2013, 11:19:22 pm »
I am trying to make a decision between in-ground vs. portable spa.  I live in a house in So. Cal with a fairly small yard and only have about a 100-125 sf area that I can dedicate to a spa.  This is a brand new, large, high-end house with no swimming pool. We plan on staying a long time.  We are a family of four with two boys aged 7 and 11. The main user (by far) is me.  The location of the spa would be at the far end of the yard where the back fence meets the side fence on a right angle.  The electrical box is at the other end of the yard (on the back of the house).  Natural gas is fairly inexpensive in my area.

I used to live in a condo builiding for many years which had a lovely in-ground spa which I used on an almost daily basis.  I enjoyed lounging about in the spa for several hours reading and was often only partly submerged while lying on the steps (to cool down).  I very much enjoyed the intense heat (about 107), soothing bubbles and reading in the spa.  I do not like or dislike hydromassage but sometimes find it annoying after a while. My kids also don't seem to care about it either way.  Also, I dislike tepid temperatures and did not find the portable spas that I wet tested to be hot enough at 104.  Also, I found that I could not really half submerge myself in the portable spas and there was no real ability to lounge on the side (unless it was vaulted or sunk into a deck).  Lastly, I would prefer the smaller footprint of an in-ground arrangement for cosmetic reasons.  For these reasons I seem to be leaning towards an in-ground spa. 

My questions: Is inground much more difficult/costly to construct? Maintain?  Noisier? Are there any particular advantages of using either gas or electric?  Can I get higher temps in them?  How much more of a cost is involved for the type of size (100-120 sf)? How do I go about finding the proper builders?  Do they always involve permits? Reliability?  Any help would be appreciated.  I am still open to portable spas if the in-ground option is too cumbersome.

Hot Tub Forum

In ground vs. portable
« on: March 23, 2013, 11:19:22 pm »

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
Re: In ground vs. portable
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2013, 12:15:56 am »
I am trying to make a decision between in-ground vs. portable spa.  I live in a house in So. Cal with a fairly small yard and only have about a 100-125 sf area that I can dedicate to a spa.  This is a brand new, large, high-end house with no swimming pool. We plan on staying a long time.  We are a family of four with two boys aged 7 and 11. The main user (by far) is me.  The location of the spa would be at the far end of the yard where the back fence meets the side fence on a right angle.  The electrical box is at the other end of the yard (on the back of the house).  Natural gas is fairly inexpensive in my area.

I used to live in a condo builiding for many years which had a lovely in-ground spa which I used on an almost daily basis.  I enjoyed lounging about in the spa for several hours reading and was often only partly submerged while lying on the steps (to cool down).  I very much enjoyed the intense heat (about 107), soothing bubbles and reading in the spa.  I do not like or dislike hydromassage but sometimes find it annoying after a while. My kids also don't seem to care about it either way.  Also, I dislike tepid temperatures and did not find the portable spas that I wet tested to be hot enough at 104.  Also, I found that I could not really half submerge myself in the portable spas and there was no real ability to lounge on the side (unless it was vaulted or sunk into a deck).  Lastly, I would prefer the smaller footprint of an in-ground arrangement for cosmetic reasons.  For these reasons I seem to be leaning towards an in-ground spa. 

My questions: Is inground much more difficult/costly to construct? Maintain?  Noisier? Are there any particular advantages of using either gas or electric?  Can I get higher temps in them?  How much more of a cost is involved for the type of size (100-120 sf)? How do I go about finding the proper builders?  Do they always involve permits? Reliability?  Any help would be appreciated.  I am still open to portable spas if the in-ground option is too cumbersome.
An in ground spa does require a permit. Typically they are far more expensive than a portable.  Find a good pool builder to install one.  Hot Spring Spas get to 106+.  Check out the Vanguard and it's cool down seat.
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

rin-spa-aic

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2013, 11:23:44 am »
I live in the opposite corner of the country but the last time I went through the buying process for an in-ground it was a nightmare.
Literally no local pool/spa company would even sell us an in-ground spa.
The only option given was to recess a normal spa in a deck or with some type of access all around!
Out where you are you may find builders a bit more reasonable and more options are available.

After much searching I discovered Bradford Products and ordered one of their tubs.
They connected me with the nearest authorized installer around 100 miles away.
It's natural gas and fully remote controlled, the equipment pack is around 30' away.
Have been very happy with the tub after 6 years of ownership.
The model we have is Carolina and the step may be just what you are looking for to lounge on.

Originally it was flush in a bluestone patio. About 2 years ago we expanded the patio, moving it further out and raised it up about 12" and put a rock wall around it. Now people  can sit at the edge without getting wet.

Only regret was not getting the air blower option. The sales guy steered me away. The air blower issue is a whole different debate but a feature I love.
For years I've been planning to add a remote controlled venturi or air injector out at the equipment pack, but haven't actually done it yet. Not a huge priority since the spa is at my father's house. If it was in my yard I would have done it in year one!

HT2020

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2013, 05:30:31 pm »

An in ground spa does require a permit. Typically they are far more expensive than a portable.  Find a good pool builder to install one.  Hot Spring Spas get to 106+.  Check out the Vanguard and it's cool down seat.

Thanks Hottub Dan,
I did exactly what you suggested.  I wet-tested the Vanguard model and indeed it did have a nice "cool down" seat which almost functioned as a lounger ie: you could rest your back behind it and actually lounge.  I purchased it and will be either semi vaulting it or building decking around it.  Thanks again,

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2013, 01:57:59 pm »
I also like the look and function of having the tub only set down part way. Be sure you allow good drainage - NOT in the center of the tub area, as some try to do, but off to the side. You need to allow an access area so a service man can get to the gear, but it is not something that most owners have to do very often, so if you want to make the hatch cover out of matching cement, you can. As long as a couple of strong people can lift it out, you're good! The area under the hatch is the best place to put a drain - if you happen to be able to run it downhill so it can drain by gravity, that is best. But a sump pump can be powered off the the sub panel - and it only has to get water out and a short distance away from the vault. In reality, the only time any significant amount of water gets into the vault is when you put the garden hose in and forget it...

I have set a lot of spas into vaults, but I had a hard drive crash and take all of my pictures!

8)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2013, 01:57:59 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42