What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: shopping for 3 person spa, ? best brand, foam or panel, salt?, wet test?  (Read 4920 times)

kiss_theory

Hello, We live in Pacific Northwest, so it doesn't get terribly cold here, but would like to get the most efficient spa. Is full foam or insulated panels surrounding the pumps better?

From online searching, we are thinking about the Mauai for a 3 person spa, but we have not yet wet tested it. BTW, the dealer we contacted said that we should dry test it first, because wet testing is not the best way to tell how it will feel. Is that true?

We have just retired our 20 year old spa, which used bromine. So with the new spas, does it matter whether chlorine or bromine are used along with ozone? Is it worth going the salt method? We have well water, high in iron and slight sulfur smell and is also very hard water so I read that this can be a problem. Will a salt system work with hard water?  We just read about the filter that attaches to the garden hose that will take out the iron.

Thank you for any comments!

Hot Tub Forum

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
Hello, We live in Pacific Northwest, so it doesn't get terribly cold here, but would like to get the most efficient spa. Is full foam or insulated panels surrounding the pumps better?

From online searching, we are thinking about the Mauai for a 3 person spa, but we have not yet wet tested it. BTW, the dealer we contacted said that we should dry test it first, because wet testing is not the best way to tell how it will feel. Is that true?

We have just retired our 20 year old spa, which used bromine. So with the new spas, does it matter whether chlorine or bromine are used along with ozone? Is it worth going the salt method? We have well water, high in iron and slight sulfur smell and is also very hard water so I read that this can be a problem. Will a salt system work with hard water?  We just read about the filter that attaches to the garden hose that will take out the iron.

Thank you for any comments!

Wet test it's your choice if you are comfortable with it??  Chem wise I hate bromine, chlorine,nature2 ozone is a better way to go in my opinion.   Salt I am sure others here will chime in on that.  Full foam in my opinion is there for more than just insulation though it does do a great job.       Where you at, I am up here in Bellingham  ;)

summerside9000

Chlorine and hard water? Iron, sulphur? spa? sounds like a chemists dream. You might want to take a sample of your well and find out what kind of testing/chemicals you will need. I hear softerners are not advised for spas due to the chemicals you have to add.
I have also seen on here somewhere about the treatments and the wonderful brown rings that develop overnight.
Jim??

kiss_theory

Hello again, We live in Graham, which is near Puyallup. We will make an appointment to wet test the spas, and ask the dealers about testing our water. Thank you for your advice.

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
Hello, We live in Pacific Northwest, so it doesn't get terribly cold here, but would like to get the most efficient spa. Is full foam or insulated panels surrounding the pumps better? Yes.

From online searching, we are thinking about the Mauai for a 3 person spa, but we have not yet wet tested it. BTW, the dealer we contacted said that we should dry test it first, because wet testing is not the best way to tell how it will feel. Is that true? I'm hoping this is a typo: wet testing is the ONLY way to determine how the tub will feel when you have it in your home. Unless, of course, you plan on sitting in it dry - kidding aside, the opposite is true: dry testing a spa gives you NO idea how it will feel wet.

We have just retired our 20 year old spa, which used bromine. So with the new spas, does it matter whether chlorine or bromine are used along with ozone? Is it worth going the salt method? We have well water, high in iron and slight sulfur smell and is also very hard water so I read that this can be a problem. Will a salt system work with hard water?  We just read about the filter that attaches to the garden hose that will take out the iron. Prefilters do help a lot, but you may have to try one to see how much it does in your particular case. Don't rule out the concept of bringing in water: you can buy a plastic tank that will fit in a pickup truck - you may be able to share the cost and use with other close neighbors who have the same water issues as you.

Thank you for any comments!No charge.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 03:00:43 pm by Chas »
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

MarKee

I would check out Marquis, they specialize in smaller spas:

http://www.MarquisSpas.com

There is a large dealer where you live called Aqua Rec:

http://www.aquarec.com

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
I would check out Marquis, they specialize in smaller spas:

http://www.MarquisSpas.com

There is a large dealer where you live called Aqua Rec:

http://www.aquarec.com
and if they were looking for a big spa does Marquis also specialize in bigger spas?
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

MarKee

Yes, Marquis has those too.

Hot Tub Forum

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42