What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: RE: Alps spa VS Fourwinds what do you think of this package deal ?  (Read 9805 times)

mandtra

I'm in the market for a hot tub.  My budget for just the hot tub is $ 5000  due to i need to have some concrete work , and electrical work done etc.   I would like a min of 5 seats up to 7 seats.   I found a local dealer  (Atlanta) that sells ALPS. & Fourwinds

and this is what they offered me.    Alps , EVEREST  90"x90"  alpsspas.com    it was offered to me two ways.  steel frame ,composite cabinet ,all balboa heater and controls ,2" to 4" jets stainless steel jets , LED lighting package , fully foamed, with insulated cabinet as well ,  balboa ozone add on ,recirc pump ,  42 jets ,waterway single 6hp pump , 5" to 3" cover with lift and start up chems with tax included  $ 4000.00   **was told that 42 jets was the maxim with a single pump system**             

Option #2  same as above but with waterway 5hp Dual pump system with 62 jets for $ 5000.00 tax included  and can add the pop up audio for another $700

Do you think this is a good deal?  if so which package would you go with?       Or anyone know of a better brand that would fit my budget 

P.S.  i also have looked at Fourwinds and they have a Cascade model that rec warehouse sales AO smith 5hp twin pump system ,balboa control's , pop up skimmer , wood frame, full foam insul  LED lighting , waterfall ,   for $ 5000.00 tax included.   the wood frame didn't even look like pressure treated , and was put together with corrugated fasteners , and i have had problems in the past with rec warehouse honoring their warranty's 
« Last Edit: March 18, 2013, 11:44:30 am by mandtra »

Hot Tub Forum

mandtra

Re: RE: ALPS SPA what do you think of this package deal ?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2013, 09:26:04 pm »
Any one ?
« Last Edit: March 18, 2013, 09:37:05 pm by mandtra »

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
Re: RE: Alps spa VS Fourwinds what do you think of this package deal ?
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2013, 08:02:52 am »
Welcome to the forum.  Things can slow down on the weekend. Personally, I've not heard of this one.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

mandtra

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2013, 05:10:57 pm »
what about the components and their website ?

mandtra

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2013, 09:39:09 pm »
still no one .      Even if you have no experience with the brand , you could go look at the web site and consider the specs i have listed

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2013, 10:05:58 pm »
Their website doesn't really tell you anything. I have never heard of this tub before looks like their dealers are in the south.  Really doubt that its a 6 hp pump. Seems real cheep and is probably that cheap for a reason

mandtra

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2013, 11:38:17 pm »
I had them to take the covers off , so i could look inside and the single pump set up was a waterway 6hp motor ,56 frame   , and the dual motor set up was waterway 5hp  56 frame motors , the control's were balboa , heater was balboa , and there was a powder coated steel frame , and the bottom of the spa was a very , very thick  black plastic of some sort which looked about 3/16" thick.

I really don't know anything about hot tubs , except from what i have read. Buy what do i need to look for to tell if it's a quality unit of a cheap built one?

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2013, 12:22:18 am »
    There are reasons no one on here is really saying anything, cause we really do not know anything about them..   Lots of spas use Balboa equipment, and a website is what it is.  In many cases it's more than just equipment or jets that make a spa.  Whats the dealer like, and how long has he been around?  Treated wood inside or not, full foam or styro foam panels?    Many people ask these same questions and it's the same answers, just do a quick search you may find what you are looking for about other brands, that one I doubt it..   

Personally I wouldn't buy it, I have been around quite awhile as well as many others here and I have never ever heard of that brand!!   So to me that raises a red flag!  Is that a bad thing no, but if they had any kind of reputation or following I would have prolly heard or at least seen the name at a spa show in Vegas or in a magazine.  If it's in your price range it might be the spa for you, that being said if your price range is in the 3 to 5000 range there are quite a few brands from quality dealers that fit the bill!   

mandtra

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2013, 11:23:11 am »
The dealer has been there for over 10 years and only sold alps brand, seems to be well known in the area for pools and spas ,was referred to him by a current alps owner who loves his hot tub .  He claims that most of the spas are made and shipped to Europe , and i have searched and pretty much confirmed that statement.    As far as the wood (cabinet), i have the choice of either pressure treated all wood (in and out) , or a powder coated steel frame (& composite cabinet), (steel is better ??? )  as far as insulation , it has full foam on shell, and insulated panels on the skirting , they claim it's an air tight cabinet

*** one thing i failed to mention as to why the prices are so low , is at that price there will be a very slight (cosmetic only )  defect in the shell****  I was showed several examples of the minor defects and i could hardly tell they were there . most were black marks in a corner , or a scratch that would probably buff out .  ****************

I have read and researched a lot , really a lot , and i cant find anything wrong with them  , i have looked for everything i (with my limited knowledge) that i have read about and still nothing bad

Full balboa package, controls and heater with ozonator  etc
Waterway   56frame pumps
stainless steel jets
steel OR pressure treated frame  (i have choice)
full composite cabinet
very thick ABS solid bottom
Full foamed with insulated cabinet panels
LED lighting package
5" to 3"  hard cover
cover lift  (covermate)

What else should i be looking at?           I'm also thinking of calling the factory and see if i can take a tour .  ( i live very close to the factory)

TwinCitiesHotSpring

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2013, 11:40:26 am »
I've actually heard of them, but have never seen one in the field...just curious have you seen one up and running? or do you have the ability to wet-test any of the models?...do they have the ability to divert water or shut jets off completely? 42 jets for a simple pump is system would worry me re: pressure and the ability to have more than a couple seats on at once

mandtra

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2013, 01:02:52 pm »
Yes , they have some up and running.i will test this week .  the single pump system has the ability to shut off some jets , because they demo'd that feature to me .     I'm more interested in the 2 pump system though   it has 2  5hp  waterway pumps on it with 62 jets   for $ 5000  out the door   should i price the two pump system with also a recirculate  pump as well ?  would that be needed ?

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2013, 01:30:19 pm »
Yes , they have some up and running.i will test this week .  the single pump system has the ability to shut off some jets , because they demo'd that feature to me .     I'm more interested in the 2 pump system though   it has 2  5hp  waterway pumps on it with 62 jets   for $ 5000  out the door   should i price the two pump system with also a recirculate  pump as well ?  would that be needed ?

They are saying 5 HP pumps? That not real HP, that’s brake HP (or fake HP as some refer to it). They’re probably more like 2.5 HP when compared to other brands if you are looking around and wonder why such a difference. Not many use that BHP rating, its very deceiving and just Marketing spin. I don’t know this brand either really, it’s a regional thing. I guess it may be fine if you have a long time dealer carrying them who will be there for you.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

mandtra

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2013, 03:31:40 pm »
You were correct,  I just got off the phone with the factory , and the motors are really  true 3hp motors

mandtra

« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2013, 08:56:22 pm »
They said also that they use waterway as well as AO smith for pump motors

mandtra

« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2013, 06:07:09 pm »
There sure is a lot of participation on this board .  LOL

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2013, 06:07:09 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42