What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Silk Balance....is it worth it?  (Read 57762 times)

hottub63

Re: Silk Balance....is it worth it?
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2013, 06:03:11 pm »
One more thing..they also told me the enhanced shock was "mps."

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2013, 06:03:11 pm »

chem geek

« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2013, 06:44:51 pm »
SpaGuard Enhanced Shock is 58.2% Sodium Dichloro-s-Triazinetrione aka Dichlor so the rest of it could be non-chlorine shock or potassium monopersulfate (MPS).  What exactly is your question?  Usually it's more expensive to buy combination products instead of just getting what you need.

As for just adding a couple of capfuls once a week and being good enough, we already discussed that.  It won't last through the week, especially if you were to soak in between times.  Now if instead you were to add MPS regularly so that there was ALWAYS a measured residual of it in the water, then adding the chlorine once a week would make sense.  See the Nature2 Spa instructions since that's basically what the system they are talking about is -- silver ions with MPS.  They just didn't get EPA approval for it, unlike Nature2 (Zodiac Systems), who did so technically they are the only ones you can really trust for it if used as directed.  Probably the other system will work assuming it puts out silver ions in sufficient quantity.  Did their system come with any sort of manual or instructions?  Since it's not EPA approved, they can't make any claims about disinfection (if they did, then they are in violation of federal FIFRA regulations).

hottub63

« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2013, 10:11:59 pm »
Hmm. All I know is the hot springs dealer said they sell tons of hot tubs (in Dallas so it's a major city) and almost all of them use this system. 2 capfuls a week of the enhanced shook, th freshwater ag+ silver ion stick, and the ozone that comes in the hot springs hot tub.

I as finished besides my test strips show no chlorine and the instructions on the back or the
Enchanced shock say don't get in If you have 0 free Chrlone, but the dealer said
Don't worry about that. That with this system It's normal to see 0 chlorine on the text strips using this system. All of my other stats are on the normal range.

This is my first hot tub so I just want to be sure this is right.

And we use the hot tub every day. 

chem geek

« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2013, 02:59:08 am »
So the dealer doesn't say to adjust the dosage of chemicals whether you soak once a week or you soak with multiple people every day.  Gee, that makes a lot of sense, doesn't it (NOT)?  And the dealer is giving you advice about SpaGuard Enhanced Shock inconsistent with the directions of an EPA approved pesticide.  "It is a violation of federal law to use a pesticide inconsistent with it's labeling."

Sounds like you trust that dealer.  Good luck with that.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 03:06:13 am by chem geek »

hottub63

« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2013, 02:15:47 pm »
It sounds like I trust the dealer? I'm asking for opinions in the fourm.

Also how does it go against the law? It's mps and the ion stick is made to use with it.

I'm just trying to wrap my mind around the best way to handle the chemicals.

HuMan321

« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2013, 05:43:05 pm »
You have a similar setup to mine only difference is I bought mine new. I use Silk Balance, Silver Ion cartridge, 24/7 ozone and use the Spaguard products sold at the Hot springs dealer. Basically, I am running with the ozone, silver Ion and use Spa Shock-Oxidizer which is 31% MPS to maintain a constant level at all times. I try and manage that by adding enough after the daily soak to have just shy of the "OK" mark 24 hours later at the next soak. If I use the spa everyday I then hit once a week (not on silk balance day) a shot of Spaguard enhanced shock which is what you have (58.2% dichlor or chlorine)

If you search for my posts here and on the other pool forum you will see actual amounts I have used per bather load time to accomplish this. Chem Geek was pretty accurate in his advice (50% less because I have ozone)

I am pleased with my tub and have received numerous complements how clean it is and lack of any odor. Am I paying a premium for this - I would say yes, but now that I understand what the process is I find it very easy to maintain.

Tip - Read the low chlorine recipe that comes with the Hot Springs N2 cartridge. It states to activate it with chlorine initially (Enhanced shock) and to test MPS level before entering the tub. If low it tells you to add MPS (Spa Shock-Oxidizer) before entering the tub which to me means it is important to have the sanitizing system work as it is supposed to. Because MPS can be an irritant (although advertised as only needing 20 minutes mix time before entering) and Chem Geek says the most irritating components of MPS are dampened by the Silver Ions I add well before soak time to allow this to take place. (mostly from the night before)
« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 05:51:16 pm by HuMan321 »

hottub63

« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2013, 10:10:02 pm »
Thanks for the reply. How do I test mps?

HuMan321

« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2013, 11:52:19 pm »
I use the Nature2 brand 3 way MPS test strips and I also bought the Taylor kit with the MPS interference reagent. I really wanted to find what ppm of MPS was in the "ok" range. I now mostly use the strips for MPS and have a good comfort feeling after over testing in the beginning to build some baselines for me.

chem geek

« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2013, 01:43:11 am »
When you wrote "2 capfuls a week of the enhanced shook, th freshwater ag+ silver ion stick, and the ozone that comes in the hot springs hot tub" that didn't not mention any use of MPS.  So that's what I was referring to where it implies just adding some chlorine once a week and that's it.  If you were to maintain an MPS level, and that means adding it more than once a week, then that is like the Nature2 system that I referred to (and linked to instructions) in an earlier post.  If you don't want to use chlorine during your soaks, then get a pure MPS product, not Enhanced Shock, for your regular dosing.  SpaGuard Spa Shock is one such product, though not pure (it's 31% while "pure" MPS product is 43% because in a triple-salt).
« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 01:55:43 am by chem geek »

hottub63

« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2013, 09:40:03 am »
Hmm. I wonder why this local shop is telling everyone to do this? They are a bit dealer and trustworthy. Should I tell them they are incorrect?

Also he said that enchanced shock was mps. No?

HuMan321

« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2013, 01:19:41 pm »
Enhanced shock is not MPS
Dealers can be wrong
You will get better understanding and information on sites like these.
You NEED a sanitizer in your water treatement.
Sanitizers are Bromine, Chlorine or (Silver ION (Nature 2) AND MPS combined)
The Nature 2 low chlorine recipe clearly states you need either MPS or chlorine in addition to the stick. Word from the folks here is that if you are using chlorine with the stick, it may be overkill because chlorine alone will work.

TwinCitiesHotSpring

« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2013, 02:38:32 pm »
Enhanced shock is not MPS
Dealers can be wrong
You will get better understanding and information on sites like these.
You NEED a sanitizer in your water treatement.
Sanitizers are Bromine, Chlorine or (Silver ION (Nature 2) AND MPS combined)
The Nature 2 low chlorine recipe clearly states you need either MPS or chlorine in addition to the stick. Word from the folks here is that if you are using chlorine with the stick, it may be overkill because chlorine alone will work.

depends on your usages, but ya if your the guy who "ahh I just throw a couple caps in everyday I use it" you may be sanitizing to a point where the Silver Ion was not a good investment...just remember anything that needs to be done chemically is always going to be dependent on your usage so often people tend to speak in "generalizations" so make sure when your talking to your dealer your laying out your usages because grandma and grandpa using the 220 gal spa a couple times a week is going to be much different than the family of 5 using it 5 times a week

hottub63

« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2013, 02:42:04 pm »
I'm not sure what you mean. Enchanced shook is mps.

HuMan321

« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2013, 03:12:14 pm »
I'm not sure what you mean. Enchanced shook is mps.

Really???
Because your dealer told you so?
Spaguard Enhanced Shock is NOT MPS - I repeat - it is not MPS

hottub63

« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2013, 03:26:36 pm »
What is the other 50 something % that is in there?

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2013, 03:26:36 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42