What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Water dripping out of check valve Hot Spring Envoy  (Read 8964 times)

hottub63

Water dripping out of check valve Hot Spring Envoy
« on: March 16, 2013, 01:25:37 pm »
I just bought a 2007 Envoy that was working perfectly and I'm filling it up for the first time today. I was freaking out because I noticed some water (slowly) coming out from under the cabinet. I took out the cover and there is a clear tube in in the cabinet with a blue valve on it just sort of dangling in the cabinet. The blue valve is dripping water.

I called my local dealer and they said the check valve is doing it's job and when I turn on the power after filling it up the check valve should stop leaking.

Just wanted to check if this is true...and if I need to do anything right now.

Thanks.

Hot Tub Forum

Water dripping out of check valve Hot Spring Envoy
« on: March 16, 2013, 01:25:37 pm »

Flyonthewall

Re: Water dripping out of check valve Hot Spring Envoy
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2013, 03:45:15 pm »
define dangling, are both ends of the blue valve attached to tubing?  not uncommon for a check valve of that age to have snapped, allowing water to leak out when the power is off.  the reverse effect of that is you are not getting the ozone gas in the tub, just air bubbles.  it is normal for water to back up to the valve when the power is off, but it shouldn't drip.  at its age i would just replace it with a new red one. 

hottub63

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2013, 05:13:55 pm »
By dangling I mean the tube is just sort of hanging off one of the pumps. There is a clear tube coming off the Silentflo 5000 pump, and on the end of that clear tube is a little blue piece that I believe is a check valve. The tube comes out of the pump and the end of it just lays on the cabinet. There is a small drip coming out of that blue check valve.

This is after a refill and move to a new location. The power hasn't been turned on yet. (The electrician is finishing up the wiring and it should be powered up in a bit.) The local shop said that this is "normal" and that when I turn on the spa the dripping will stop. Is this normal? Do I need to be worried about anything?

Flyonthewall

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2013, 05:21:36 pm »
if it is the ozone check valve it would terminate at a black plastic tee (injector) that would be in close proximity to the silentflo.  if that tube is for the ozone then you will need to locate the other end of it.  it will be hanging down from the top of the equipment compartment. 
i can't think of anything that should drip inside the compartment under normal circumstances.

hottub63

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2013, 05:23:20 pm »
This is the clear tube that comes out of the air pump...that is different then the ozone pump right? I believe all pumps have a clear tube coming out of them to give them the air that makes them pump.....

Hot Spring Ace

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2013, 06:09:50 pm »
This is the clear tube that comes out of the air pump...that is different then the ozone pump right? I believe all pumps have a clear tube coming out of them to give them the air that makes them pump.....

If this is a check valve at the very end of the tubing then what happened was it was tied up at the bartop of the shell above the waterline as high as possible and whatver was holding it up there might have broke. Look up and see if thats the case and if so zip tie it as high as possible in that cabinet area. If you can post a pic it will help.

hottub63

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2013, 06:36:58 pm »
Sure enough you were correct. There is a tube higher up that is just dangling and it looks like this check valve fell out of it..and it won't go back on. It looks old, worn, and cracked.  So do I just need to go to home depot and buy another? (It won't be a Hot Springs brand, but I assume that Home Depot sells check values, will it work?)

Also  the electrician that came out to hook up the hot tub couldn't get the 30 amp breaker to stay on, it would just keep flipping over and over. Do you think this check value not hooked up correctly to the tube above it could have anything to do with it?

Flyonthewall

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2013, 06:59:35 pm »
the tube wouldn't affect the breaker staying on.  the 30a breaker on the envoy handles everything but the heater.  it could be a component, but most likely a wire is in the wrong spot.  i wouldn't know about the home depot check valves.  ozone gas is pretty caustic before it hits the water, so its hard to say.  just snip the ends of the old tube and start fresh, rather than trying to remove the scraps.  a little dishsoap helps in getting the new one on. 
the pumps and heater do have bleedlines leading up, usually secured in the corners out of sight.  the tubes are usually 2 or 3 feet long and terminate with a larger check valve (about D battery size). 

hottub63

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2013, 07:09:49 pm »
Great, thanks for your help. The hot tub was up and running before I bought it last night, so I know it was working well.

The electrician followed the wiring diagram I gave him perfectly he said. Is there any tricks or little things in the wiring that can be tricky or that is easy to get wrong?

hottub63

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2013, 07:18:42 pm »
By the way, do you know what diameter of tubing that uses?

hottub63

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2013, 07:26:47 pm »
One last thing, I read somewhere online something about an airlock causing the 30 amp breaker to trip. You think this could be the case here?

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2013, 07:26:47 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42