What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Pea gravel?  (Read 3535 times)

psalad

Pea gravel?
« on: March 10, 2013, 01:59:22 pm »
We are redoing our backyard and I'm thinking of a pea gravel pad for the hot tub I'm going to buy (first one).   How thick does it need to be?  Is there any reason I should pour concrete?  The one hesitation I have is we just are not sure we are really hot tub people and the concrete pad is full commitment... 

Thanks!!!

Hot Tub Forum

Pea gravel?
« on: March 10, 2013, 01:59:22 pm »

Jac-470

Re: Pea gravel?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2013, 02:43:19 pm »
I live in NH and went with stone as it doesn't move much in frost. I put out 9" in which 6" was 1 1/2" stone for strength, and 3" of pea stone for ease of gradeing and better looking.

Hollywood

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2013, 10:26:19 am »
Wrestling with this same issue myself.  I talked to a guy at Home Depot and he told me what he did on his hot tub 14 years ago.  2-4" of sand on pavers and it hasn't moved an inch.  And the house where I picked up the spa had basically the same thing so that is what I am going to do.

BUT....

I am in Arizona where the ground doesn't get frozen and is fairly compact.  So it stands to reason that less will be needed out here.

Hollywood

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2013, 10:29:46 am »
Hot tub people???

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2013, 11:31:55 am »
I have taken out countless slabs. They are NOT forever, as it would seem. Go ahead and pour a slab - you CAN remove it later if you need.

I have taken them out to pour larger, thicker ones, or to move them a foot, or to move the spa to the other side of the yard, or just taken them out after removing a spa permanently. I had a customer who was doing a large remodel, and had to set the spa aside. They did NOT want to give up using the tub, so we poured a 3" slab in the back corner of the yard, ran power, and they were able to keep using it. A year later, the house was fully done and they were ready to move the spa back. Three guys with a (rented) jackhammer and the slab was history in a half day.

I know it seems like a lot of work, but installing and even taking OUT a slab is - in my opinion - easier than digging and compacting for a sand/gravel/paving tile base, and it is much better as far as settling, shifting etc.

Food for thought

8)

Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2013, 11:31:55 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42