What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: need advice on first hot tub purchase  (Read 10337 times)

hottubmaybe

need advice on first hot tub purchase
« on: February 26, 2013, 03:49:36 pm »
We believe we are ready to make our first hot tub purchase.  We have done research and are sold on the bullfrog.  Local dealer has a 2010 demo model 462 with a base model stereo and led lighting.  It comes with cover, lifter, steps, ozone filter, exterior lights, and led lights, and 4 of the higher priced jet packs.  I realize that bullfrog is coming out with new technology for 2013.  MSRP they say is 12,000 dollars but they have come down to $8700.  Is this a good deal?  Are we foolish to spend this much on old technology?  Any advice is appreciated.  We've found that setting up for the hot tub is half the expense it seems.  Thanks.

Hot Tub Forum

need advice on first hot tub purchase
« on: February 26, 2013, 03:49:36 pm »

TwinCitiesHotSpring

Re: need advice on first hot tub purchase
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2013, 03:54:15 pm »
We believe we are ready to make our first hot tub purchase.  We have done research and are sold on the bullfrog.  Local dealer has a 2010 demo model 462 with a base model stereo and led lighting.  It comes with cover, lifter, steps, ozone filter, exterior lights, and led lights, and 4 of the higher priced jet packs.  I realize that bullfrog is coming out with new technology for 2013.  MSRP they say is 12,000 dollars but they have come down to $8700.  Is this a good deal?  Are we foolish to spend this much on old technology?  Any advice is appreciated.  We've found that setting up for the hot tub is half the expense it seems.  Thanks.

seems like a good price, if you have wet tested and like it, I say go for it....don't worry about spa "technology" changing from year to year...colors may change, jets may change slightly, but for the most part there is not going to be anything groundbreaking that is worthwhile to pass up on a good deal like the floor model you mentioned.

and yes spa prep can get expensive...pouring a new slab and/or laying pavers + electrical can easily drift into the $2,500+ range depending on many variables of course

bimmerdog

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2013, 04:01:26 pm »
First WELCOME to here :) Have you done a wet test on that tub?  I honestly don't know that much about Bullfrog tubs.  My question is you say it is a 2010 demo?  That seems to me to be an old demo tub.  How much was it used?  Has it had water in it for the whole time?  Will you be getting the full warranty? Others will know if its a good price. 

Good luck with your decision.

hottubmaybe

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2013, 06:03:09 pm »
No, only had water in it once when set up at a home show in 2011. Yes full warranty applies and it looks brand new.  We live in a pretty isolated area and understandably, when the economy took a dive, so did high end hot tub sales.  Thanks for the advice.

bimmerdog

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2013, 08:32:18 pm »
No, only had water in it once when set up at a home show in 2011. Yes full warranty applies and it looks brand new.  We live in a pretty isolated area and understandably, when the economy took a dive, so did high end hot tub sales.  Thanks for the advice.
Where you able or can you do a wet test on the tub before you decide to buy it?  If I had not taken my wife with me to do a wet test I would have bought the wrong tub. Not that the tub I wanted was not good. It was fantastic but the tub we bought worked better for her staying in the seat with the jets on high.  So to me a wet test is a must with you and the significant other at the same time in the tub. 

Jac-470

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2013, 08:42:22 pm »
IMHO the price seems a bit high for what is considered a 3 year old tub. Shop around and do wet test. It's a investment, so don't make a quick choice. If it's been sitting for 3 years, I'm sure it will be still around if you shopped and got prices. And if you don't find anything, you'll feel better with your choice.

hottubmaybe

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2013, 11:26:10 pm »
Good advice on all counts.  Shopping around is limited for us, however.  The closest competitor for the same brand is 3 hours away.  Bullfrogs are so different from mosther tub brands it seems hard to compare with others, no that they're superior to all others, just different.

bimmerdog

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2013, 04:05:28 pm »
Do you have other hot tub stores closer to you that sell other brands?  Are you absolutely sold on Bullfrog?  You can always call the other Bullfrog store and see what their prices would be on tubs that might be similar to what you are thinking of buying.  At least then you can see if you are getting a good deal on the tub your looking at. 

Let the Internet be your friend.  Do a search on customers reviews on the tub you are looking at.  Remember ever hot tub manufacture will say they are the best.  They have to say this.  That is why I like to read reviews from people who own the tub.  But I do take some reviews with a grain of salt, "I hate my tub because the light burned out the first day" this kind of review does nothing for me.  Good luck on your search.

Jac-470

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2013, 04:12:07 pm »
Also, go on web sites of the spas you like and do a dealer search. I did that and found a Jacuzzi dealer 40min from me. I would of never found it if I was out looking down busy shopping area's. His place was out in the back woods. But was awesome to deal with and gave me a outstanding price.

Sam

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2013, 04:20:28 pm »
The 462 is my favorite tub!  I love the tiered seating which will accommodate people of varying heights. 

Where are you located?  Does your dealer have a good reputation?  I would ask for them to put in writing that you will get the full warranty from time of delivery.  Typically, Bullfrog will start the countdown on the warranty of display models, 1 year after the dealer purchased the tub.  Also, that price seems kind of high for a 3 year old hot tub.  You should be able to negotiate that down a little, depending upon your location.  Some markets will naturally have inflated prices. 

The changes for 2013 are pretty exciting.  It actually is a leap in technology.  The new JetPak system is an improvement on what was already the most revolutionary design in the hot tub industry.  There will be a price increase to go with it, though.  All of this said, if you can get a reasonable deal on that 462, you will have a great tub that will last you many years to come.  Just because they have a new design doesn't change the fact that the 2010 technology is still unparalleled in the hot tub industry. The ability to upgrade that unit with the massage of your choosing (JetPaks) is a pretty cool thing.  The whole insulation argument (full foam vs. thermal pane) that you read on here becomes moot with JetPaks.  You get to have the benefits of full foam, without burying your plumbing in it.  Repairing a leak is a snap.  You can access the majority of the plumbing from inside the hot tub. There is also quite a bit less plumbing than what is found in a traditional hot tub.  This means better jet pressure because pressure loss due to friction is significantly reduced.  This is highlighted by the fact that there are no diverter valves.  You can run all of the jets at the same time and still get amazing pressure.

What JetPaks will come with it?  I'm happy to offer my opinion on them.  Our company usually offers to sell JetPaks at a discount to people that purchase our floor models, so that they can still customize their tub without spending too much more.

As you can tell, I drink the Bullfrog Koolaid  :D  I sell and have sold many brands over the years in addition to Bullfrog.  IMO, there is nothing that compares.  There are plenty of other great brands out there, but Bullfrog is hands down my favorite.  They have been the most reliable brand that I have worked with.  They are a great company  and go the extra mile to take care of their customers.  Let me know if you have any other questions.

vangoghsear

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2013, 06:05:51 pm »
Can't speak of whether or not the price is good, but I have a Bullfrog 151R and love it. 

Sounds like good advice to try and bargain it down a bit and to get the fully warranty promise in writing, but I think you would be happy with the tub, they are well made.

hottubmaybe

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2013, 01:19:07 pm »
Thanks all, for the advice.  We live in EA Washington and the nearest bullfrog dealer besides this local one is probably in Boise, ID, which is over 5 hours away.   I initially felt the price seemed high for a 3 year old tub, and I have counter offered, but they don't seem willing to budge past $8700.  I'm almost ready to settle for another brand of tub.  We will probably not be living in this area for more than another 5 years, and I don't know what happens to warranties on tubs when you move them or how complicated it will be.  The gazebo that we are putting it in would make moving it tricky, so maybe I should just find the best price I can on a tub that I can get locally. I'm pretty sure Jacuzzi and possibly HS is sold in this area.  The jet packs included on this 462 are the neck blaster, the cluster burst, oscillator, and pulsator, which I'm told are the higher priced packs.  I do like the idea of being able to move packs around since this has tiered seating.

So, what happens if I can find a bullfrog dealer in another state or further away?  They're not going to deliver and set up for us......will they?  Will the local bullfrog dealer give us service if we need it?
Too many if's for me.....I thought this would be an easier decision once we found something we liked.  It is good to know that the warranty better be put in writing since Bullfrog's warranty clock normally starts ticking once it's been out on the floor for awhile. 

And again, how do I compare the Bullfrog to the other spas on the market.  I do worry about leaks

vangoghsear

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2013, 01:35:31 pm »
The Bullfrog jetpack design is pretty ingenious. 

It really hit me when I saw a photo of a 4 jetpack model with the jetpacks removed.  The photo shows indentations where the jetpacks go, but just two pipes sticking out in the shell for at the top of the indentations where the jetpacks are connected and a few holes in the base for drains and lights.  Nothing to leak except the drains and lights.

That said, as long as any hot tub company has a good warranty that they will stand behind, and the tub is decent quality to begin with then leaks are not a problem that will happen often and when or if they do they can be fixed.

Gillian

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2013, 01:49:40 pm »
We bought a Jacuzzi 365 brand new five months ago and are very happy with it.  We live in Eastern Washington and paid less than the price listed above for a 2010 Bullfrog.  I'm not familiar with Bullfrog hot tubs, so perhaps they have some features that the Jacuzzi doesn't have. 

hottubmaybe

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2013, 02:50:36 pm »
Dealers:  We have local:  bullfrog, jacuzzi, hot springs, that's it.  I have called the HS dealer, and they said there are some issues with bullfrog's circulation of water behind the jetpacks.  BF dealer told me the water behind those jetpacks is circulated along with all the other water.......

Will call Jacuzzi and see what they have to say.  I know they use UV light instead of ozone.  I don't know if one is better than the other.  Again, advice is appreciated.  I would like to keep our purchase price under 6K if possible, seating 4, getting the best possible pumps/filtration/warranty we can get.

Thanks.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2013, 02:50:36 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42