What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: My hot tub was unsafe.....a chemical disaster!  (Read 18561 times)

Payton

My hot tub was unsafe.....a chemical disaster!
« on: February 14, 2013, 10:24:00 am »
As a newbie, mastering this new hot tub chemistry...I flunked!!! My hot tub was cloudy with an odor. I added too much dichlor, I believe, and kept the tub at 104. After a month the filter was slimy (beyond belief with crud) and dirty. I haven't even mentioned the whole tub was full of foam ( like a bubble bath)! Quarantined it! This is not an advertisement I promise. I searched for answers and read about all natural Eco one. I sent away for it and I swear, my hot tub is now clear. The water feels different too. I read I should drain the tub, purge the pipes, etc. Great advice but we have 3 feet of snow so I drained a little and added some back and cleaned the filters with their filter cleaner. Next I added their shock and eco monthly to my mess. Waited 24 hours and my water is clear. I've been adding a small amount of liquid chlorine and the tub is completely balanced! It feels different too, smoother. It is supposed to be natural. I am going to continure to research the product to make sure it is safe. For now, I am so grateful! My chemical disater is now easy to maintain. Does anyone know how it works or if it safe? I read something about all natural and enzymes but their website says it is not enzymes. Thanks in advance.

Hot Tub Forum

My hot tub was unsafe.....a chemical disaster!
« on: February 14, 2013, 10:24:00 am »

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
Re: My hot tub was unsafe.....a chemical disaster!
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2013, 11:24:39 am »
Two little notes:
All new hot tub owners need to do a water change at 30 days. This is a one-time water change which makes all the changes you attribute to Eco one, all by itself.

Eco one recommends that you keep a low level of chlorine at all times. So, what's the benefit?

HTH

8)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2013, 05:12:11 pm »
Eco One=waste of money. Skip it and use just the chlorine. You will have the same results.
Retired

Payton

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2013, 10:40:41 pm »
I couldn't drain the tub with the snow. I siphoned less than 4 inches of water off and replaced it. I was using dichlor and every day the chlorine would read 0. I'd add more and for the night it would read in the right range but you could smell the chlorine. I was also using non-chlorine shock, ph up, and scaler. I was listening to the dealer, neighbors, this forum and I made a mess. This stuff turned my mess into the hot tub I had first day of fill only smoother with no chlorine odor. Trust me I want to do this economically as I have 3 in college!!! I have since read the bottle on their shock: Danger, caution...use goggles and gloves.....No ingredients or cautions on their monthly bottle. I will say my water is nice but I will be calling them about ingredients and cautions! simplify your spa naturally, goggles and gloves don't seem natural.....

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2013, 06:00:02 am »
I couldn't drain the tub with the snow. I siphoned less than 4 inches of water off and replaced it. I was using dichlor and every day the chlorine would read 0. I'd add more and for the night it would read in the right range but you could smell the chlorine. I was also using non-chlorine shock, ph up, and scaler. I was listening to the dealer, neighbors, this forum and I made a mess. This stuff turned my mess into the hot tub I had first day of fill only smoother with no chlorine odor. Trust me I want to do this economically as I have 3 in college!!! I have since read the bottle on their shock: Danger, caution...use goggles and gloves.....No ingredients or cautions on their monthly bottle. I will say my water is nice but I will be calling them about ingredients and cautions! simplify your spa naturally, goggles and gloves don't seem natural.....

If you have a chlorine smell while your soaking you are doing it wrong. Gloves and goggles are not needed for chlorine. You made the mess not the dealer, your neighbors or this forum. Skip the Eco One. It's a waste of money. The chlorine your using is clearing up the water not the Eco One.
Retired

sorebikr

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2013, 09:58:04 am »

I'm not trying to pile on, as this sounds like an obvious sales pitch for Eco1, but wanted to add two bits for those watching at home. 
Having 3" or 3' of snow is irrelevant to whether you can drain a tub or not.  It may not be the most fun/comfortable thing in the world.  But if you're draining 95+ degree water, you are not running a risk of anything freezing up.  2.  You drained (maybe) 10% of the water in the tub.  That's not going to be enough to have made any difference whatsoever in your water quality. 

Not to mention, if your water was -that- nasty, then you need to look within and figure out what you're introducing to the water before you start worrying about what's effectively removing it from the water.

Payton

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2013, 11:59:04 am »
Tman I said I made the mess. I followed too many different sources and combined them. Big deal. Wasn't blaming anyone but me. Our tub is on a sunken patio so I cannot get to drain and exactly my point that 10% draining should have no effect. My water is crystal clear and I have only added a very small amount of chlorine every other day over the past week and the levels are perfect. I know you dont need goggles for chlorine, it's written on the Eco one shock bottle to wear all of that....So in plain English, I made a huge mess switched to Eco One and mess is gone, problem is reading the package it's not so natural and it may even be toxic. That is all I wanted advice on...does anyone know if it is safe or natural?

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2013, 03:07:20 pm »
If they are natural they are never approved as safe. That's why you have to use chlorine.
Retired

ndabunka

• 2003 Jacuzzi J370 Platinum/Coastal Grey Synthetic
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2013, 11:31:21 pm »
My water is crystal clear and I have only added a very small amount of chlorine every other day over the past week and the levels are perfect. ....So in plain English, I made a huge mess switched to Eco One and mess is gone, problem is reading the package it's not so natural and it may even be toxic. That is all I wanted advice on...does anyone know if it is safe or natural?

As others have pointed out, the small chlorine every other day is what is cleaning up you water & the Eco One just "happened" to be added at the same time.  Your getting a placebo effect here.  Some of us have used Eco One before and moved away from it simply because it was an additional, un needed cost.  You mentioned "Liquid" chlorine which was the only thing that gave me concern.  Unless things have changed in the past few years, 95% of us use a granular chlorine (Di-Chlor) and most liquids are a TRI-Chlor which would NOT be recommended for hot tubs as it can cause deterioration.
...The gene pool could use a little chlorine....

Quickly approaching a mid-life crisis one day at a time.

vangoghsear

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2013, 12:39:21 am »
...You mentioned "Liquid" chlorine which was the only thing that gave me concern.  Unless things have changed in the past few years, 95% of us use a granular chlorine (Di-Chlor) and most liquids are a TRI-Chlor which would NOT be recommended for hot tubs as it can cause deterioration.

Clorox with a minimum 6% concentration is approved as a sanitizer for hot tubs and pools when used correctly.   

JohnnyK45

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2013, 10:45:45 am »
Payton,

Been using EcoOne since day one with our spa and have never had an issue.  Doesn't get any easier than chucking in a packet from my back door after I get out.  The monthly product is all natural and the packets have the same warnings as any other sanitizing product would.  Using their product, I never wasted one minute trouble-shooting, or running to a local dealer to buy more products and spend more money to see if I can "fix" some problem by adding more of this or that.  I find some who rip on the product, have never used it or simply don't like that it costs a tad more than other options out there.  Yet, some will spend $10,000-$15,000 on a spa, then look for the cheapest products to put in their tub, regardless of how much additional time or troubleshooting is necessary in order to get their water correct.  I wanted simple and easy and I found this product to be spot on.  Good luck with your hot tub.

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2013, 06:10:57 am »
Payton,

Been using EcoOne since day one with our spa and have never had an issue.  Doesn't get any easier than chucking in a packet from my back door after I get out.  The monthly product is all natural and the packets have the same warnings as any other sanitizing product would.  Using their product, I never wasted one minute trouble-shooting, or running to a local dealer to buy more products and spend more money to see if I can "fix" some problem by adding more of this or that.  I find some who rip on the product, have never used it or simply don't like that it costs a tad more than other options out there.  Yet, some will spend $10,000-$15,000 on a spa, then look for the cheapest products to put in their tub, regardless of how much additional time or troubleshooting is necessary in order to get their water correct.  I wanted simple and easy and I found this product to be spot on.  Good luck with your hot tub.

I'm not ripping on it. You can decide to waste your money on it or not. A cap full of dichlor from a 6 lb bottle that cost 12 bucks and lasts for a year or an expensive pre packaged packet of dichlor that likely cost 5 times that. That can be a tad more or 5 times as much how ever you want to see it. 1 in 100 have trouble. Most of us use a cup of baking soda, period.
Retired

JohnnyK45

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2013, 10:08:24 am »
1 in 100 have trouble.

Is that figure from the 2013 "liberal statistics" hot tub guide? ;D 

As far as a waste of money, I think people who don’t have the money on-hand and think they have to buy a $12,000 hot tub in which they take out financing for, to me, that is a waste of money.  But, it’s all relative.  Time is money in my book and ease of use is worth something as well; if it works and has been gravy since day one and has been great on our skin, I don't mind paying a little more.  And, for the volume of posts on this forum and others about people having trouble with their water maintenance, I question your 1 in 100 guess.  But, regardless, to each their own, the beauty of having choices in this country.  :) 

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2013, 05:12:27 pm »
12,000 dollar hot tub!!!!! Are you kidding me? 8000 is high end for me in this part of the country. Most people pay 6-7.

So the people that aren't having problems with their water. Do you think they post here? Or are we just seeing 1/10 of 1 percent posting here that have problems. How many tubs are sold a year? How many posters do we have here? I think we see a few hundred posts from people having problems and many many thousands don't post and don't have problems. I have customers who use Eco One They love it also. However it is a lot more than a tad more expensive. And it isn't any less work in my opinion. You throw in Eco One. I throw in Baking soda. You throw in a packet after a soak. I throw in a cap full of dichlor. Seems about the same to me. Baking soda, 4 bucks a year. Dichlor 12 bucks a year. How much is a years worth of Eco One?
Retired

chem geek

« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2013, 06:16:06 pm »
There was a spate of hot tub itch/rash/lung incidents on another hot tub forum and I kept track of them in this post to see if I could find a pattern.  The biggest problem was that people weren't using sufficient quantities of disinfectant since no one was told that 1) the amount needed is roughly proportional to bather load, 2) the amount depends on whether an ozonator is used and on the frequency of soaking, and 3) disinfectant needs to be added (manually or automatically) in between soaks unless soaking every day or two.  There also seemed to be some correlation with Dichlor-only use where more problems were seen after 2-3 months of heavier use.  There were incidents from using "alternative" sanitizers and since far fewer people use those, that indicated that they weren't a good solution either.

I had proposed using Dichlor initially to build up some CYA and then switch to bleach, but initially I didn't have people use 50 ppm Borates so one person had problems with high pH causing scaling and one dealer laid into me about that.  After having people lower the TA to around 50 ppm and use 50 ppm Borates, we haven't seen such problems.  As for hot tub rash/itch/lung, there weren't any reports from anyone using Dichlor-then-bleach, but the sample size is obviously a lot smaller.

People who follow a proper regimen of dosing don't report problems.  The issue is that for chlorine it's a manual process (unless one uses a saltwater chlorine generator, but that's mostly for a background level) so is more effort.  For bromine using tabs, it's easier, but even then with heavier bather load one still needs to manually add an oxidizer after a soak unless one has a strong ozonator.

Unfortunately, there aren't as many hot tub owners reporting on forums to get great statistics.  For pools, however, there are tens of thousands reporting on multiple forums (mostly Trouble Free Pool and The PoolForum) where following similar principles of chlorine and CYA management has such pools have failure rates of less than 1 in 5,000.  By failure, it's algae growth (yellow/mustard algae takes higher chlorine levels to get rid of compared to green algae, but "failure" is even after taking that into account).  It takes a higher active chlorine level to kill algae than it does to kill bacteria.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2013, 06:16:06 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42