What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Hello-new to the forum and need buying advice  (Read 18256 times)

FoCoNoCo

Hello-new to the forum and need buying advice
« on: February 06, 2013, 01:35:53 am »
Hello all - My wife and I are looking to purchase a new hot tub within about a year.  We had previously owned a 1999 Marquis Coastal Series, which we loved, though it had a board failure and ozonator failure within 3 years.  We are living in northern Colorado and have found local dealers in town for Artesian, Maax, Coleman, Dynasty, Hot Springs, Master Spas, Bullfrog, Jacuzzi, and Sundance.  Within an hour and a half drive are dealers for Caldera, Cal Spas, Marquis, and D1.  At this point we are eliminating the Maax and Dynasty spas completely.  I also understand that the Caldera/Hot Springs models are somewhat similar (and our local HS dealer carries the Hot Spot line as well).  We have not decided on a price point at this stage of the game.  We are wanting a high quality unit with a good warranty that will be honored if need be.  I know that Hot Springs are generally at the top of the reliability and quality list.  We were not overly impressed with the Bullfrog models, and have read horror stories about the Dynasty models.  I know nothing about Coleman, and mixed reviews about Master Spas.  My top picks to investigate further at this point would be the Hot Springs (of course), Artesian, Sundance, Marquis, and Master.  We have not wet tested any models as of yet, as we are simply wanting professional recommendations on which brands to pursue further.  Thanks for any and all help and suggestions.

Hot Tub Forum

Hello-new to the forum and need buying advice
« on: February 06, 2013, 01:35:53 am »

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
Re: Hello-new to the forum and need buying advice
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2013, 05:36:36 am »
Look at Master first. Make sure to take off the equipment panel and look inside. Then go look at your other choices. Take the equipment panel off of those also.

IMO you have about three different classes of tubs your looking at with Jacuzzi, HS, Marquis, Sundance, Caldera at the high end of the quality scale. Then you have some upper middle of the road quality wise choices in Artesian, Hot Spot, Bullfrog. And some lower middle of the road choices like Master, Dynasty, Calspa, Maxx, Coleman. You should get a wide band of pricing.
Retired

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2013, 07:51:58 am »
Welcome to the forum.  I think you have a good "big picture" already.  My only advice comes from your own words in that you will buy this year.  Don't be in a hurry, enjoy the experience and let them come to you.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

bimmerdog

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2013, 12:46:02 pm »
One thing that helped us make our decision after I narrowed it down to three companies Hot Springs, Sundance and Jacuzzi was the wet test.  All three of these hot tubs had great warranties and all had great local stores to back them.  After the wet test my wife and I wrote down what we liked and disliked about the tub.  Then we were off to wet test the next tub.  We were able to wet test two tubs one day and the other two days later.  Writing down what we liked and disliked we were able to make a decision with out trying to remember what the other tubs felt like. 

I do have to say i got way to caught up in the inner workings of all the different manufacters.  That is why I had to narrow it down to three companies that I felt would do a great job. If the wet test went well I would feel good buying that tub.

FoCoNoCo

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2013, 10:46:47 pm »
Hello again.  Thank you all for the advice.  I've been busy with work and haven't had a chance to return to the forums until now. I was able to go to our local Sundance/Jacuzzi dealer as well as another dealer who sells Artesian and Maax brands.  Really liked the Sundance/Jacuzzi models....the dealer?  Not so much  He wouldn't give me the time of day knowing I wasn't buying today.  Also really liked the Artesian models and yes, even the Maax (formerly Coleman) models looked very nice, with great features and a great warranty as well.  This dealer was MUCH more pleasant to deal with.  One of the co-owners spent nearly an hour talking with me and showing me various features, etc., fully knowing that I was not in a position to buy right now.  Even if he doesn't carry the absolute Rolls Royce of spas, I really liked the fact that he spent so much time with me.  Not to mention the pricing nearly $3000.00 less than HS, Sundance/Jacuzzi, and $5000.00 less than Master.  I guess the hunt will continue and will wet test some tubs in the future and see what we like. 

rin-spa-aic

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2013, 01:36:08 pm »
4+ months and I've been happy with our decision to go with a Maax.

http://www.whatsthebest-hottub.com/forum/index.php/topic,16022.msg170929.html#msg170929

Having a good dealer that will work with you and trust will stand behind the product is key.

Pools Plus Inc MI

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2013, 11:59:18 am »
If you like the quality of the Hot Spring but not the price definitely check out the Hot Spot line. We carry  both and have had a ton of happy customers with the new Hot Spot line. Have fun shopping and yes Wet Test! :)

Sam

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2013, 06:36:57 pm »
Look at Master first. Make sure to take off the equipment panel and look inside. Then go look at your other choices. Take the equipment panel off of those also.

IMO you have about three different classes of tubs your looking at with Jacuzzi, HS, Marquis, Sundance, Caldera at the high end of the quality scale. Then you have some upper middle of the road quality wise choices in Artesian, Hot Spot, Bullfrog. And some lower middle of the road choices like Master, Dynasty, Calspa, Maxx, Coleman. You should get a wide band of pricing.

Having been in the industry for almost 20 years and sold many major brands, I have to disagree with your positioning of Bullfrog Spas.  I would rank Bullfrog with or above any of the others that you have listed.  They are by and far my favorite hot tub that I have ever worked with.  Hot Spring spas get quite a bit of fluff around here, but I would choose Bullfrog first without hesitation.  Down to the most minute details, Bullfrog does it right.  Additionally, they have made some great design changes for 2013 that I am very excited about.

For the record, I am currently a Bullfrog dealer (among other brands) and have sold Hot Spring in the past.

bimmerdog

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2013, 06:52:28 pm »
Hey Sam.....You said Hot Springs spa and fluff in the same sentence. :o    I can hear the attack dogs coming now.  Good luck  ;D

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2013, 07:02:58 pm »

Having been in the industry for almost 20 years and sold many major brands, I have to disagree with your positioning of Bullfrog Spas.  I would rank Bullfrog with or above any of the others that you have listed.  They are by and far my favorite hot tub that I have ever worked with.  Hot Spring spas get quite a bit of fluff around here, but I would choose Bullfrog first without hesitation.  Down to the most minute details, Bullfrog does it right.  Additionally, they have made some great design changes for 2013 that I am very excited about.

For the record, I am currently a Bullfrog dealer (among other brands) and have sold Hot Spring in the past.

You'll note he used the term "IMO" so he was just giving that, his opinion. We all have our "favorites" list and everyone's varies so your opinions and your own list are certainly welcome (not that I'm on the welcoming committee or anything).
« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 07:04:43 pm by Spatech_tuo »
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2013, 10:14:11 pm »
It didn't take long

It didn't take long for what?

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2013, 11:14:27 am »
It didn't take long

Well, if you are implying that was an 'attack dog,' then I would say: At least he is housebroken. That was the nicest 'attack' I have seen here on this board!  ;D

8)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

bimmerdog

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2013, 12:12:31 pm »
I just find it amusing when some one has the nerve to say anything about Hot Springs that is not HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY or say another tub is better, it doesn't take long for "someone" to make sure they respond.  I hope it never stops because it makes this forum fun.  If it's a boring day all I have to say is anything about Hot Springs and we get to have a good time on here.  I'm glad there are so many hot tub manufacturers and every one has an opinion on each one. 

Remember this is my "IMO" so don't beat me up or I will have to let the attack dogs out ;)

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2013, 01:05:00 pm »
woof     ;D :D ;)

8)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2013, 03:50:10 pm »
I just find it amusing when some one has the nerve to say anything about Hot Springs that is not HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY or say another tub is better, it doesn't take long for "someone" to make sure they respond.  I hope it never stops because it makes this forum fun.  If it's a boring day all I have to say is anything about Hot Springs and we get to have a good time on here.  I'm glad there are so many hot tub manufacturers and every one has an opinion on each one. 

Remember this is my "IMO" so don't beat me up or I will have to let the attack dogs out ;)

You had a bad expereince with a hot springs salesperson in your local store when you were shopping and have been negative about them since you got here and people responded (imagine that). Then you called Dr Spa "stupid and wrong" (I'm paraphrasing but i could easily get it and paste it) when he was pointing out an issue with the picture you posted of your setup (then u realized later he was correct lol). Then you jumped into this thread seemingly looking to start something IMO with that smartazz remark about expecting attack dogs when i've seen none and then you added the "it didn't take long" remark which made no sense since no one was attacking.

I don't get it. You come to this site a few weeks ago and almost immediately started pointing fingers at people on this site, people who've been here for years making no sales on this site but helping people continually. I don't get what drives your venom but whatever floats your boat (or rubber duckie)!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2013, 03:50:10 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42