What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Just got Spa N A Box  (Read 17907 times)

sorebikr

Re: Just got Spa N A Box
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2013, 09:38:25 am »
No, most definitely not the right stuff.  Go look into the rigid insulation at home depot.  I'm not sure if it can handle that much weight though, you may want to consider building a small wooden platform you can then insulate with the rigid foam, in order to get it off the ground.

Are the sides insulated at least?

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2013, 09:38:25 am »

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2013, 11:26:55 am »
I would go with rigid insulation board at a home center - perhaps even top it with a sheet of CDX plywood.

8)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

vangoghsear

« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2013, 03:17:20 pm »
If you compress the insulation, it loses most of it's ability to insulate, which it does by holding air.  The rigid stuff has pockets of air fixed in the material and the rigid structure keeps it from compressing.

Get the high compressive foam, you shouldn't need any wood with that.  It can handle 40 psi load, which should be alright unless the load bearing areas of the hot tub are not spread out adequately.

This stuff or similar:
http://commercial.owenscorning.com/products/foam/foamular-400/

Terry Action

« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2013, 03:28:58 pm »
Thanks again, guys. I know I must come across as a fool, but I'm real new to this. Although I ordered that bed foam from Amazon, I'm going to send it back. I'm going to Home Depot later and will buy that foamular stuff.

And to answer the other question, yes, the sides are insulated with the foam panels it comes with.

Finally, although the temp outside here has stayed around the same (It's 25 right now), my hot tub is still at 91. That's what it dropped to the other night, and it's holding. Gonna shut off the motor and siphon the water out (I'm gonna freeze, but whatever), then head to Home Depot.

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2013, 07:03:46 am »
Any chance of adding a heavy blanket or cloth tarp/blanket combo over top of of the whole unit? I hate to see you empty the thing in sub-freezing weather: you could easily freeze a small amount of water somewhere and do a large amount of damage to the unit.

Don't know if you have warm weather in the forecast anytime soon, but I would sure wait until it's warmer (relatively speaking) to drain and set the thing up on insulation board.

HTH

8)

Terry Action

« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2013, 02:17:26 pm »
Well, I drained it the other night when it was like 18 degrees. Nothing froze, so no worries. The siphon took around an hour I think (maybe a little more, I can't remember), and when the water was done, the wet bottom was still warm. I quickly disassembled, and brought everything inside.

I took someone's advise here and went to Home Depot to look for that Foamula 400, 40 psi load. Well, they didn't have it, but they did have this, Foamular F-250, which is 25 psi. I bought the panels, and cut them perfectly. Hopefully it will be strong enough. Remember, this is a small hot tub, holding 280 gallons of water or so.

Anyway, I laid it down in the backyard and set it up. Last night I attached a faucet-adapter to my sink, and attached the garden hose to it and filled it with hot water (hope this is safe to do). Since it's a sink, the water came out slower than normal. Took like two and a half hours. By the time it was finished filling up (because it was so damn cold out), the water was just warm (I would guess in the 70-80 range, just by touching it). I turned on the filter/heater, covered everything, and went to bed.

When I got up around 12:10 this afternoon (yeah, I know, late but hey it's Sunday and I like to sleep on my day off), the temperature outside was 32 degrees, the warmest in nearly a week. I quickly went outside to check the hot tub, and expected the worst (just my nature). To my surprise, it was 97 degrees! Well, just to be sure, I went back in the house and said to myself that I would check it again in exactly two hours, at 2:10 PM. Well, just went back outside and it's 98 degrees. Still only up one degree in two hours, but at least it's doing more than holding, and isn't dropping.

I will have an update again later tonight. I'm going out to eat with a bunch of friends at 7:30, and should be back home around 11:00 tonight. Will it reach 104? I doubt it, but time will tell!

Edit: I just decided to check it at 4:10, and it's up to 100. Two degrees in two hours seems about right in this cold, so it does seem to be holding up. Looks like the insulation worked!
« Last Edit: January 27, 2013, 04:14:51 pm by Terry Action »

vangoghsear

« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2013, 09:52:32 am »
Congratulations on the insulation helping.

The only concern with the lower psi rating is point loads.  Distributed load from the water/people/weight of the spa (3000 lbs or so distributed under a 6' dia) it will easily carry (less than 2 psi).  But a point load would be a person standing in the bottom with only liner between them and the insulation.  Point load for a person standing on the heel of one foot can be pretty high and may exceed 25 lbs (not sure of the effect of buoyancy on the person).  A 200 lb person walking exerts 20 psi on the heel.  So you should be okay for most people, unless they are pretty large.  40 psi would have given you a pretty good shot of exceeding most possible scenarios, but I think you'll be okay.

NYgiant2003

« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2013, 10:29:12 am »
Maybe you got a lemon? Best bet is to always buy new. Here is a pic of ours in our NY winter.. these things do work great as I have had a few friends and my aunt buy one after seeing ours.

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2013, 05:15:00 pm »
He sold it long ago and got a real portable spa. With a heater. They won't maintain heat in Northern Minnesota winters so we put them away. Summer only.
Retired

goneaway

« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2013, 05:18:20 pm »
I had a Spa2Go, which is inflatable, but uses the same pump/blower unit.
I believe it's only a 1kw heater.
On mine, this took about 1.5 hours to heat a degree celcius.
It took at least 2 days to go from sub 16°C  up to 40°C.
With the blower motor running, water would quite easily drop 1°C in 20-30 minutes.
Spa n a Box, has no insulation what so ever, so the temperature is going to drop like a stone, with the heater not having a chance to keep up with it.
These things are awesome in the summer, but i could imagine short lived in the winter.

Terry Action

« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2013, 11:22:16 pm »
He sold it long ago and got a real portable spa. With a heater. They won't maintain heat in Northern Minnesota winters so we put them away. Summer only.

Yup, that was me. I sold it to get a Voyager Spa. I like it, but the problem is that it is even more obscure than Spa N' A Box. I want a hard top but how with the motor half in/half out? Here's a link to the spa with pics:

http://www.showerandspashop.com/voyagerindex.html

Here's my Voyager topic right here:

http://www.whatsthebest-hottub.com/forum/index.php?topic=16575.0

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2013, 01:39:54 pm »
I still don't get it. You could buy a traditional tub for just a bit more. Maybe it would be a simple tub like this:

Which we sell for just over two grand. I have the predecessor for this tub on my floor in gray with cover and delivery for $1995 plus tax.

This is a 110 plug and play - convertible to 220!! Fully foam insulated - except around the equipment - with a good cover.

I hope you get good service and lots of enjoyment out of the Voyager tub! I just don't see that type of tub as a viable alternative to the more conventional tubs, even if you have to pay a bit more. Operating costs just keep going on and on as long as you own your tub...

8)

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2013, 01:39:54 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42