What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Vacation away from the tub  (Read 4504 times)

Pam

Vacation away from the tub
« on: December 17, 2012, 01:51:58 pm »
We have a Jacuzzi J315.  We are leaving for a 10 week vacation and do not want anyone in the house - tub is on the enclosed porch.  How do I deal with the water as far as chlorination?  A dealer recommended tossing in a couple of Silk Winter floating chlorine sticks.  I'm concerned about mold growing on the inside of the cover.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 02:02:38 pm by Pam »

Hot Tub Forum

Vacation away from the tub
« on: December 17, 2012, 01:51:58 pm »

sorebikr

Re: Vacation away from the tub
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2012, 02:38:36 pm »
10 weeks? 

- Hire someone to come check on the plants, hottub and other essentials once a week or so. 
- You can buy floating chlorine. 
- You could drain it and unplug it.

vangoghsear

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2012, 04:57:15 pm »
I did pretty well for 10 days by lowering the temp to 80 deg, and putting in about 8 ounces of 6% Clorox.  But 10 weeks...

You could consider a floating hot tub blanket to reduce the humidity forming on the lid and cut chemical losses, but I still think you would need someone to check on it.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 04:59:12 pm by vangoghsear »

Pam

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2012, 08:49:15 pm »
Yes, 10 weeks.  Floating chlorine sounds like it might work.  What is it and where do you get it? I talked to Jacuzzi, very little help.  Another pool/tub place tried to sell me floating chlorine sticks for a 10,000 gal pool, wasn't sure this was a good idea.

- Hire someone to come check on the plants, hottub and other essentials once a week or so. 
- You can buy floating chlorine. 
- You could drain it and unplug it.

« Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 08:51:49 pm by Pam »

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2012, 07:12:39 am »
Maybe its the slow season, as I don't usually get into chemical issues, but floating chlorine in a hot tub is not a good idea, its supposedly the wrong type of chlorine and can damage a tub.  People with unattended tubs usually use bromine.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

chem geek

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2012, 10:38:59 pm »
If by floating chlorine one means Trichlor pucks/tabs, they dissolve too quickly in hot water so you'd need a special feeder and even then they are very acidic so may crash the pH.  You also probably couldn't load up enough to last more than a couple of weeks anyway.  Bromine tabs are less acidic (though they are still acidic) but again I don't think one would be able to last more than a few weeks, not 10.  For 10 weeks, draining the spa and refilling upon return sounds like it would make more sense.

vangoghsear

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2012, 09:26:27 am »
Since the tub is on an enclosed porch, if she hyperclorinates, then drains the hot tub, she shouldn't have to do a full winterizing, right?  It doesn't sound like it will freeze and the hyperchlorination should keep the pipes clean enough, right?  So just drain then refill upon returning.

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2012, 09:57:02 am »
Drain it. If it has a chance of freezing, the winterize it in accordance with the manufacturer's directions.

8)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

TwinCitiesHotSpring

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2012, 11:47:10 am »
in my eyes you have 2 options...hire someone to throw a scoop of chlorine in each week or drain it and winterize it (if needed)....anything floating is not going to last 10 weeks, and the last thing you want to do is come home to a spa that hasn't been sanitized in a month, it will be at least 2 or 3x the work to clean it up if that happens

Pam

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2012, 06:01:42 pm »
Thanks for all the input.  We will probably end up draining.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2012, 06:01:42 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42