What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Hot Tub Help in San Antonio  (Read 8960 times)

lifecomm

Hot Tub Help in San Antonio
« on: December 13, 2012, 10:28:56 am »
Greetings,

Non-hot tub owner wanting to take the plunge. Since this is the case, I have established a range of $2-5K for my first 3-4 person tub purchase (new or used). Further, after lurking here for a few weeks, I want to purchase a quality spa with local install/parts/maintenance available - especially if I obtain a used one.

I went to my local Jucuzzi/HotSprings dealer and was somewhat surprised to see the high prices and the lack of small tubs - lots of nice stuff north of $10K. I hope I'll use and love my spa and be in the market for something like that - but not yet. Do people really like hot tubs when it's 100°?

I'd entertain any ideas or thoughts...and especially San Antonio help.

Thanks!
Tom

Hot Tub Forum

Hot Tub Help in San Antonio
« on: December 13, 2012, 10:28:56 am »

JohnnyK45

Re: Hot Tub Help in San Antonio
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2012, 11:40:26 am »
Welcome to the forum Tom!

I'm no expert on the two brands you mentioned; but I bought my tub this year (new from my dealer), and it was $2700 + tax.  The link below is of mine with some specs about it, but not sure what specs or features you're looking for...

http://www.whatsthebest-hottub.com/forum/index.php/topic,16101.0.html

I would never buy a used one that was not filled and running; and I would run from any spa listed with a line that "it worked fine the last time it was used" - nor would I buy any brand that is posted and re-posted daily on your local Craigslist.

Fellow forum member/dealer "TwinCitiesHotSpring" gave a nice list of some other brands too the other day and how he sees them (for what's its worth)...
Hot Spring, Jacuzzi, Sundance if your budget is "higher end"...Viking, Nordic, Freeflow are good "budget friendly" options

There are other good brands too, Bullfrog has some fans on here as well off the top - as you search, post any questions about the ones you are seriously thinking about and you'll get some great feedback.

Good luck with your search!

TwinCitiesHotSpring

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2012, 05:26:33 pm »
Hot Spot SX w/ optional 24hr circ. pump

Hot Spot Relay or Rhythm (slight stretch to the budget, but huge "bang for your buck"

Jacuzzi J-235 (again slight stretch, great value, very similar features to Rhythm/Relay)

Marquis Mirage (smaller tub, interesting layout which I personally like, your mileage may vary, another slight stretch to your budget, but you really jump up features to a 5yr component warranty, acrylic shell, etc.  long story short, very good price for features provided)

also if your not opposed to a round tub...Jacuzzi, Sundance, and Nordic makes some nice round models that will fall within your budget..Jacuzzi and Sundance being a little more $ than the nordic because of shell material used and a couple more basic features

Now I realize most of these options are at the top of your budget and some even pushing it ~$1,000 but as someone who has done this a long time I'll tell you the quality drop-off from the 4-6k down to the $2500-$3500 range in MOST cases is significant in my professional opinion, you go from good name brands with good quality control like the models listed above, to some random cheap chinese container shipped junk that has been around a few years and has crap for build quality...hoses for plumbing instead of pvc, 12 port manifolds feeds jets instead of them direct plumbed, staples and Sheetrock screws holding things together instead of high grade stainless screws, and I could go on and on and on....if your really want to stick to the lower end of your budget but still get decent quality then you will be forced to buy something that is "higher end used"

lifecomm

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2012, 09:45:12 am »
Thanks for all the great help.

I found a 2007 J-230 for $1750. The spa is perfect and hardly used. But here's the catch: it's been in storage for three years and isn't currently installed or running. The seller just moved it from out-of-state and was going to use it until they found a home that already had a pool/spa (that story checks out via tax records).  The access panel reveals more perfect looking equipment.  What else can be determined without power?  The filter bucket (?) is missing, but they say they just need to find it - if they can't, what is it I need to replace and what will it cost? I wish I could locate a parts list and the manual doesn't show it.

So since it cannot be turned on, what's the potential start-up/repair costs?  $1K?  I have kept away from used spas for fear of other people's problems, but getting a Jucuzzi has provided me with hope that everything can be repaired.  Is my hope poorly placed?

I found someone to move it and get it going for $400 (no electrical for that - and no major problems either, of course).  Reasonable?

Thanks!
Tom

JohnnyK45

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2012, 11:02:12 pm »
The seller just moved it from out-of-state and was going to use it until...

What state did he move it from?  So, some additional banging around in transit should be considered - you won't know if anything loosened up (or was damaged internally) until you fill and run it.

Secondly, if it was a state that has cold winters, if he didn't winterize this tub before storing it for those few years, this thing could have leaks and hair-line cracks all over the place that would be near impossible to detect right now.

Anyway to confirm he was the original owner?

For $1750 and for a tub that sat and is soon to be 6 years old, too much green for basically buying blind (in my opinion); but I'm not the type to win big in Vegas  :(; so, if you have been luckier in life and want to roll the dice, you could come out ok, or, could come out with a headache – simply no way to tell and clean cosmetic appearance under the skirt does not translate to “working properly.”

Keep us posted what you do and how it works out if you decide to give this one a shot.

J

PS - If you are willing to give this tub a shot, at the very least, I would insist that he agrees to a contract you write up in which you have 5 business days to verify all works fine (and pay half down as a token of good faith); otherwise the tub can be returned and you get your half down back.  If he is unwilling to do this, walk (run!!!!!!) away.   ;D
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 11:08:40 pm by JohnnyK45 »

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2012, 12:01:36 am »
Thanks for all the great help.

I found a 2007 J-230 for $1750. The spa is perfect and hardly used. But here's the catch: it's been in storage for three years and isn't currently installed or running. The seller just moved it from out-of-state and was going to use it until they found a home that already had a pool/spa (that story checks out via tax records).  The access panel reveals more perfect looking equipment.  What else can be determined without power?  The filter bucket (?) is missing, but they say they just need to find it - if they can't, what is it I need to replace and what will it cost? I wish I could locate a parts list and the manual doesn't show it.

So since it cannot be turned on, what's the potential start-up/repair costs?  $1K?  I have kept away from used spas for fear of other people's problems, but getting a Jucuzzi has provided me with hope that everything can be repaired.  Is my hope poorly placed?

I found someone to move it and get it going for $400 (no electrical for that - and no major problems either, of course).  Reasonable?

Thanks!
Tom

So the way I see it you are choosing between a 5 year old used spa that is a question mark delivered for $2100 with no warranty or a new spa that would be delivered for lets say $7k (taxes included assuming you're going with a good but not extravagant new one) with a warranty of probably 3 years or so?

Unless you can say you are a true DIYer who has no hesitation to take on any issues that arise all by yourself (and you're a gambler) I would say stay away from a spa that has been sitting dry for 3 years. Yes, I know he said it worked great before he disconnected it... There is a reason we tell people to ignore any spas that are not filled and up to temp let alone one that has sat for 3 years. No matter how great they may look, how it looks sitting dry in someone's garage means little to me. What would you rather buy, a used spa that looks a bit "ratty" but is filled, dry around it, up to temp and fully operational or one that looks great sitting empty but has not run for 3 years, has been moved multiple times and is a big  question mark?
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 12:03:31 am by Spatech_tuo »
220, 221, whatever it takes!

lifecomm

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2012, 07:38:55 am »
The seller just moved it from out-of-state and was going to use it until...

What state did he move it from?  So, some additional banging around in transit should be considered - you won't know if anything loosened up (or was damaged internally) until you fill and run it.

Secondly, if it was a state that has cold winters, if he didn't winterize this tub before storing it for those few years, this thing could have leaks and hair-line cracks all over the place that would be near impossible to detect right now.

Anyway to confirm he was the original owner?

He came from GA - but it can still get cold there! It was his daughter's - so "no" on original owner.  Haven't pulled the trigger and getting cold feet...

Thanks for your help!
Tom

lifecomm

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2012, 07:44:38 am »
So the way I see it you are choosing between a 5 year old used spa that is a question mark delivered for $2100 with no warranty or a new spa that would be delivered for lets say $7k (taxes included assuming you're going with a good but not extravagant new one) with a warranty of probably 3 years or so?

That's exactly the situation!

Unless you can say you are a true DIYer who has no hesitation to take on any issues that arise all by yourself (and you're a gambler) I would say stay away from a spa that has been sitting dry for 3 years. Yes, I know he said it worked great before he disconnected it... There is a reason we tell people to ignore any spas that are not filled and up to temp let alone one that has sat for 3 years. No matter how great they may look, how it looks sitting dry in someone's garage means little to me. What would you rather buy, a used spa that looks a bit "ratty" but is filled, dry around it, up to temp and fully operational or one that looks great sitting empty but has not run for 3 years, has been moved multiple times and is a big  question mark?

I feel like I can fix or repair most anything - but I am nervous that it could have leaks that can't be seen...

Thanks for your help!
Tom

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2012, 10:54:31 am »

I feel like I can fix or repair most anything - but I am nervous that it could have leaks that can't be seen...

Thanks for your help!
Tom

And you should be nervous, very nervous IMO! As Clint Eastwood said in that movie "You have to ask yourself, 'Do I feel lucky...?'".

goose973

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2012, 08:47:54 pm »
I agree with all the folks on here that won't touch anything used if it isn't running without leaks and warm. I have a buddy who bought a 7-8 year-old tub for next to nothing. It wasn't full or connected to power when he bought it. Not too long after, but after a lot of money he still had a non-functioning tub. He ended up getting rid of it. If it was full, warm, and holding water that's a different story.

lifecomm

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2012, 08:39:05 am »
PS - If you are willing to give this tub a shot, at the very least, I would insist that he agrees to a contract you write up in which you have 5 business days to verify all works fine (and pay half down as a token of good faith); otherwise the tub can be returned and you get your half down back.  If he is unwilling to do this, walk (run!!!!!!) away.   ;D

Thanks everyone for your advice. As to the above recommendation, I decided I couldn't even go that far. So I wrote them last night that I needed to see it running and not leaking water - otherwise, I would be out $400 to move it and another $400 to get rid of a possible white elephant - even if the seller gave me %100 of my money back.

I told the seller I would pay to temporarily hook it up - not quite sure how to do this, but working on it. In return, I offered to pay more than our negotiated $1750 price - we started at $2K - and I might be willing to get close to that if I know what my startup/repair costs are going to be. As I am writing this, I got word back that they will talk to their pool man and electrician on how this might be accomplished. I take this as a great sign that something can be worked-out and that I might not need to “feel lucky!”

Thanks!
Tom

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2012, 11:28:02 am »
I would pay $2k for that shown in full operation. Let it run overnight so it can get fully to temp, open the equipment compartment and confirm its dry inside as well as around the spa, turn everything on and off... and if it works buy it.

lifecomm

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2013, 02:28:39 pm »
Hi guys,

I'm back and want to report that I did not purchase the original non-running tub - we just weren't able to get it hooked up. So I've gone the dealer route and have purchased a 2008 J-355 with sound system.

I felt as this was best as they gave me a one year warranty and will make sure it gets delivered and working correctly and it was still in my price range.

They're bring it by this after noon.  :)  Thanks for all your great advice!

Tom

bimmerdog

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2013, 04:02:48 pm »
Just read your thread Tom and congrats on getting your hot tub.  Getting one with some warranty will make you have a little peace of mind. Also getting it all hooked up and running by people that know what they are doing will make you feel better also.  Enjoy your new member of the family :D

sorebikr

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2013, 05:42:34 pm »
Hi guys,

I'm back and want to report that I did not purchase the original non-running tub - we just weren't able to get it hooked up. So I've gone the dealer route and have purchased a 2008 J-355 with sound system.

I felt as this was best as they gave me a one year warranty and will make sure it gets delivered and working correctly and it was still in my price range.

They're bring it by this after noon.  :)  Thanks for all your great advice!

Tom

Thanks for the followup.  Its always good to hear how these questions get resolved in the end.  Goodluck and enjoy the tub.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2013, 05:42:34 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42