What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Chemical question  (Read 3313 times)

dagboi

Chemical question
« on: December 11, 2012, 05:06:32 pm »
I've had my spa up and running since early October.  I'm using Freshwater purification (silver / ozone / MPS / Dichlor).
Used the dichlor once a week to shock and the MPS each time getting in.  After a month or so, I developed a rash behind my knees...itched like a &^%^!  After some research, I am attributing the rash to the MPS.

So now I am going to try using only dichlor.  2/3 teaspoon when I get OUT and 3 or 4 each week to shock.

Am I heading in the right direction?
Will my water have a chlorine odor (it had no odor at all using MPS)?
Will this be enough to keep my water sparkling clean?

Hot Tub Forum

Chemical question
« on: December 11, 2012, 05:06:32 pm »

TwinCitiesHotSpring

Re: Chemical question
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2012, 11:19:19 am »
general rule of thumb is right around 1.5tsp per person/per ~20min. use...obviously if the amount of bodies increase or your soaks are much longer you will need slightly more.  If your a regular user 4+ times a week you could shock on a non-use day...I have a couple that are customers going through the exact same thing right now..MPS was wreaking havoc on their skin so they switch to small amounts of chlorine and so far they have had much better results.  Also to state the obvious make sure your pH, Alk. and Calcium are within balance, mis-balanced water can also cause some itching/scratching/redness

Spoiledrotten

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2012, 11:49:22 am »
I've been having the same type of trouble with my skin. Behind one knee, I've clawed it to pieces, but after a little time, I've almost got it healed again. I think my problem was a very high PH. I'm doing better now since the PH is closer to where it should be. I was also using too much Chlorine, so I've tamed that down a little. I'm fixing to try the EcoOne that JohnnyK45 suggests to see how that works. It should be here in a day or two.
"A bend in the road is not the end of the road... unless you fail to make the turn."

TwinCitiesHotSpring

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2012, 12:12:23 pm »
I've been having the same type of trouble with my skin. Behind one knee, I've clawed it to pieces, but after a little time, I've almost got it healed again. I think my problem was a very high PH. I'm doing better now since the PH is closer to where it should be. I was also using too much Chlorine, so I've tamed that down a little. I'm fixing to try the EcoOne that JohnnyK45 suggests to see how that works. It should be here in a day or two.

EcoOne is pre packaged mps/shock, depending on your usage you still may need a small amount of chlorine 1x or 2x per week, some will depend if your using silver ion and/or an ozonator as well...also if the shock/silver system works well for you I would recommend just buying MPS/Shock in bulk and using your own scoop to measure it out...much much cheaper, but your mileage may vary..good luck

JohnnyK45

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2012, 01:39:29 pm »
Using EcoOne as recommended really requires one to use their Spa Monthly along with their OneShock. They did their homework and have come up with a foolproof and easy to use solution that is dead-accurate every time; and it eliminates human error from entering the picture each time one is finished using their spa.  :)

Buying anything in bulk is cheaper and works fine for some, but for guys like me, I want things to be as simple and hassle free as possible. I think if things were easier for your average Joe, we wouldn't see the volume of postings related to trouble-shooting and maintaining one's water properly. I don't want to mess with scoops, powder, measurements, regular testing, multiple products, enhancers and over-all higher chemical dependency; thus, I've been a vocal fan of this offering in some posts. I fall into the group of consumers who are willing to pay a little more for total ease and convenience with excellent results.

I do smile, as people (including myself) can be funny creatures of habit. Some will easily drop $8-$12,000 on a hot tub (as you've seen), then get real frugal on what they'll buy to put in it; and if it doesn't work, they'll spend more time and money on add-on products.  :(

Anyway...perhaps we'll here another thumbs up from spoiledrotten; hope it works as well for him as it has for me.

J

dagboi

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2012, 02:23:06 pm »
general rule of thumb is right around 1.5tsp per person/per ~20min. use...obviously if the amount of bodies increase or your soaks are much longer you will need slightly more.  If your a regular user 4+ times a week you could shock on a non-use day...I have a couple that are customers going through the exact same thing right now..MPS was wreaking havoc on their skin so they switch to small amounts of chlorine and so far they have had much better results.  Also to state the obvious make sure your pH, Alk. and Calcium are within balance, mis-balanced water can also cause some itching/scratching/redness
1.5 tsp??  Are you talking MPS or Dichlor?

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2012, 02:23:06 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42