What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Costco Spa Covers  (Read 12042 times)

pratzert

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Costco Spa Covers
« on: November 30, 2012, 09:11:43 pm »
Hi.

Has anyone ever heard of, or had expeerience with, the replacement spa cover that Costco sells?

It's not actually Costco, but one of their "Partners" called "Core Covers".  I belive they are in California.

Thru Costco, the cover is about $150 less than other places. btu I don't know the quality of the cover.

Usually, if Costco sells it, they back it.

Thanks.

Hot Tub Forum

Costco Spa Covers
« on: November 30, 2012, 09:11:43 pm »

smalone

Re: Costco Spa Covers
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2012, 10:20:56 pm »
I think its kinda hard to go wrong with Costco, like you said they will take it back without any questions.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2012, 11:26:34 pm »
This exact discussion came up on the other main spa forum but I don't think they like linking that site here. The thing is they're only 1# foam density which helps them keep the price down but is going to be an issue for energy efficiency. Its like the old Fram oil filter commerncial, "you can pay me now or you can pay me later". 
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2012, 05:50:19 am »
Hi.

Has anyone ever heard of, or had expeerience with, the replacement spa cover that Costco sells?

It's not actually Costco, but one of their "Partners" called "Core Covers".  I belive they are in California.

Thru Costco, the cover is about $150 less than other places. btu I don't know the quality of the cover.

Usually, if Costco sells it, they back it.

Thanks.

Its a good thing the box stores back their products. You usual need 2-3 to get the same longevity.
Retired

pratzert

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2012, 10:08:38 am »
This exact discussion came up on the other main spa forum but I don't think they like linking that site here. The thing is they're only 1# foam density which helps them keep the price down but is going to be an issue for energy efficiency. Its like the old Fram oil filter commerncial, "you can pay me now or you can pay me later".

Hi SpaTech.

I couldn't see on the site where they specified what the foam density is.  Did you find that info elsewhere, or are you familiar with this company ?

The original cover I got with my J350 was made by "IDEAL" and has lasted 10 years.  But the vinyl is ripped, the stitching is failing and it is SOOOOO waterlogged I can hardly lift it.

Time for a new one for sure.

So....  if you all think this cover is not so good, what do you suggest?  I don't mind paying for a really good quality, especially if it's going to last 10 years.

But if I can save some money and still get a great cover, that's even better.

Thanks for the suggestions.

vangoghsear

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2012, 10:18:28 am »
My cover is a Sunstar.  The quality seems excellent.

http://www.sunstarcovers.com/

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2012, 12:15:37 pm »

Hi SpaTech.

I couldn't see on the site where they specified what the foam density is.  Did you find that info elsewhere, or are you familiar with this company ?

The original cover I got with my J350 was made by "IDEAL" and has lasted 10 years.  But the vinyl is ripped, the stitching is failing and it is SOOOOO waterlogged I can hardly lift it.

Time for a new one for sure.

So....  if you all think this cover is not so good, what do you suggest?  I don't mind paying for a really good quality, especially if it's going to last 10 years.

But if I can save some money and still get a great cover, that's even better.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I'm not the one who knew this, I'm repeating what was said there. It was actually doc, who should know. It makes sense to me they're seliing it at 1# to keep the price down for Costco, thats their model. For covers though the word "quality" has to include energy efficiency but customers won't know this and they're not telling. At 1# density you'll be giving those "savings" back every month when you pay your utility bill.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2012, 12:17:17 pm by Spatech_tuo »
220, 221, whatever it takes!

pratzert

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2012, 12:35:29 pm »
Spatech_tuo,

OK.   Thanks for the info.  It will save me in the long run.  What's that saying....  "penny wise, pound foolish".

Seems like this is a case of "you get what you pay for".

vangoghsear said his Sunstar was good quality,  how about some others ?

Who makes the better covers out there ?

Thanks

vangoghsear

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2012, 06:55:05 am »
Another factor to consider is that your cover may be required to meet ASTM standards for safety and be able to support the weight of a child.  A 1lb density foam cover may not be able to do that.  That is one of the features that some cover manufacturing companies consider "premium", where in some municipalities it is a requirement.

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2012, 07:27:03 am »
Spatech_tuo,

OK.   Thanks for the info.  It will save me in the long run.  What's that saying....  "penny wise, pound foolish".

Seems like this is a case of "you get what you pay for".

vangoghsear said his Sunstar was good quality,  how about some others ?

Who makes the better covers out there ?

Thanks

I have had great luck with RHtubs.com 5-6 of them purchased and all great.
Retired

pratzert

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2012, 10:13:56 am »
I called my local Jacuzzi dealer and asked about any posisbel Holiday sales coming up and he said they will offer 20% off cover the first two weeks of January.

It wil be more expensive, but with the 20% off, it's not a huge deal.

Since the last cover I got from them lasted 10 years, I may as well spend a little more and support my local guy.

I have it marked on Calendar to cal him January 2nd !

Thanks all.

vangoghsear

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2012, 07:59:00 am »
The OEM cover from Jacuzzi should be pretty good.  My Sunstar cover came (OEM) with my Bullfrog spa.

pratzert

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2012, 08:13:26 am »
The OEM cover from Jacuzzi should be pretty good.  My Sunstar cover came (OEM) with my Bullfrog spa.

Yes, the original OEM cover was made by IDEAL and lasted 10 years.

The salesperson at my local dealer said he did not know who Jacuzzi was using currently to make their covers, but said he was sure it would be of similar quality.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2012, 08:13:26 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42