What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: New Circ. Pump, Now Leak  (Read 3755 times)

JaxSAH

New Circ. Pump, Now Leak
« on: October 21, 2012, 03:34:09 pm »
I have a 1999 Hot Springs Sovereign spa.
Friday i had a new circ. pump installed.  I had to drain and clean the spa after that because of a lot of brown particles in the water.
I filled it Saturday morning, and when I went out in the evening to check on whether the water was heated, I noticed  water on my concrete floor of my porch.  There was no leak before the pump was installed.  Could the leak possibly be due to the pump not installed correctly?
I spent $318 on the service call and circ pump, so I hate the thought of spending another $400+ on having a leak fixed.

Hot Tub Forum

New Circ. Pump, Now Leak
« on: October 21, 2012, 03:34:09 pm »

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
Re: New Circ. Pump, Now Leak
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2012, 05:49:57 pm »
First, check the drain caps. Second, allow time for water which may have been spilled in the motor compartment to drip out and dry up. Open the equipment compartment door and check for standing water - if any, mop it up with a big towel, and then come back in a couple of hours to see if it has reappeared.

8)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

JaxSAH

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2012, 06:18:10 pm »
First, check the drain caps. Second, allow time for water which may have been spilled in the motor compartment to drip out and dry up. Open the equipment compartment door and check for standing water - if any, mop it up with a big towel, and then come back in a couple of hours to see if it has reappeared.

8)

What a simple answer!
Earlier I had opened up the access panel door to check and saw no water (but saw lots of bits of insulation that rodents had chewed up, so that is what is mostly on the bottom).
After reading your post, I went outside and the drain cap on the far right was loose.      :-[  I mopped up the standing water and will check it tomorrow.

Speaking of drains...according to the manual, it says the drain on the right is the main drain and the one on the left is the secondary drain.  When I went to drain the spa, when I unscrewed the secondary drain, water poured out, but when I unscrewed the main drain, no water came pouring out.  So, when I drained the spa, I used the secondary drain.  Is that the one to use?

Also, I used gravity to drain the spa and it took over 5 hours (I started at 5:00pm and last checked it at 10:30pm) to drain.  Any suggestion on a brand and size of a submersible pump to buy.  I hate leaving the door to my porch open for that length of time because I know there's a rat in the back yard.  (I've seen him in my birdfeeder.)   :o

Well, I went back and checked and there is still some water coming out from under the spa.  It is on the right side (as I look at the access panel).  I'm not sure if that is just water that was already there before I tightened the cap or not.  Time will tell.

Thank you for your response.

JaxSAH

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2012, 06:47:00 pm »
Water is still coming from under the hot tub.   :(

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2012, 02:41:09 pm »
 If you had some rodent issues hard to say what might be leaking.   Start digging foam or prob with a wooden dowel till you find a wet spot.  Dig till you hit warm water..

JaxSAH

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2012, 09:16:21 pm »
If you had some rodent issues hard to say what might be leaking.   Start digging foam or prob with a wooden dowel till you find a wet spot.  Dig till you hit warm water..

Oh, Jim, I am in no position to do that kind of work.  I'm a little old lady, so I will just have to pay for another service call.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2012, 09:16:21 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42