What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: electrical  (Read 3779 times)

metalmann

electrical
« on: October 10, 2012, 06:52:09 pm »
hello
is there any advantage of running a 6 gauge wire for a 50 amp disconnect instead of an 8 gauge ? An electrician told me the 6 would be better.

Hot Tub Forum

electrical
« on: October 10, 2012, 06:52:09 pm »

smackman

Re: electrical
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2012, 06:59:14 pm »
6 gauge wire is rated for approx 60 amps; 8 gauge approx 45 amps.

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2012, 06:59:46 pm »
Most tubs require 6 gauge. It's in the electrical specs for the tub

ssilver853

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2012, 07:41:40 pm »
You should go with #6.... #6 is only rated for 60 amps if it is THHN or THWN.  #6 romex is rated for 50 amps.  I would run #6 and you can reduce the ground to #8 to save a few $$$$'s.

I actually ran #4 so I can have the pumps and heater on at the same time, I live in the Northeast.

Hope this helps!

metalmann

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2012, 08:08:49 pm »
hotsprings vista spec for a 6 ga. wire.

metalmann

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2012, 08:09:42 pm »
sorry they spec for an 8 ga. wire

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2012, 08:59:11 pm »
The length of wire makes ALL the difference.

8)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

smackman

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2012, 07:59:39 am »
The length of wire can be a issue over 75 feet. I would run my wire in conduit and not use romex. It is cheaper than underground approved wire and honestly, You could get buy with 8 gauge wire with no issues unless it is a long run in conduit.

Wire amperage is always underrated. I have used 12 gauge romex(rated for 20 amps) many times for a 25 amp continuance service.

Your local code will probably dictate your size wire.

Yes I am a 26+ year Electrician. I do not know Hot Tubs in and out but I feel I know Electrical well since I am also licensed by my state for 23 years. 

sorebikr

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2012, 04:21:57 pm »
The length of wire can be a issue over 75 feet. I would run my wire in conduit and not use romex. It is cheaper than underground approved wire and honestly, You could get buy with 8 gauge wire with no issues unless it is a long run in conduit.

Wire amperage is always underrated. I have used 12 gauge romex(rated for 20 amps) many times for a 25 amp continuance service.

Your local code will probably dictate your size wire.

Yes I am a 26+ year Electrician. I do not know Hot Tubs in and out but I feel I know Electrical well since I am also licensed by my state for 23 years.

Pretty solid advice up there.
1.  Ultimately the inspector will decide what you need to use.
2.  You absolutely can't go wrong with going bigger than you think you need.
3.  Romex is not always going to be an option, so I'd assume you want to run in conduit.

Go with 6 gauge.

TwinCitiesHotSpring

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2012, 04:47:32 pm »
Metalmann...your Vista is spec'd for #8 as long as the run is within 100ft....longer runs will require a larger size wire (using maximum voltage drop of 3% to calculate wire size)...also when making the run from your GFCI box 3/4"  flexible conduit is recommended to make it through the electrical cut-out and into the IQ box...of course as stated already there is no issues with "up sizing" the wire, as habit (or local code) some electricians will automatically use #6 when running a 50 amp service

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2012, 08:30:10 am »
Just as an option, and hopefully not to confuse anything:

I use 1/2" non-metallic flex conduit (raintight) to run from the sub panel to the spa. In some cases I will run 3/4" PVC for most of the way and finish the last few feet with the 1/2" flex. I find it makes all the twists and turns SOOO much easier, and it can really almost disappear from view once you tuck it up under the 'toe kick' area and fasten it in place. Electrical codes stipulate a limited amount of flex, and that scares a lot of people - they think you can't use flex for anything but the last six feet etc. but I have found that inspectors don't count it as flex if it is well secured in place.

As was noted above, the entry hole into the actual control box is 3/4", so a pair of reducing washers is needed, but that is easy. The wires will fit nicely, pull easily, and it's OK with the code to put that many conductors into a 1/2" - the hard part is convincing an electrician to actually do it! Mine all do, now, but any time I end up working with a outside electrician they try to tell me it will not pass inspection. It does, and has, and will continue to... they just don't want to have to work that tiny amount to get the wire through the smaller tub. I find it just makes the job look so much neater in the end - I come up at the back of the spa when I can, and put an LB or similar small box (no junction inside) and run the 1/2" from there around the base of the spa.

I DO lay the flex out in the sun to warm and make it easier to work, and I DO pull the wire through before I fasten it in place for the final time. In fact, my electricians usually have it all in place before we deliver, so I just cut it to length, fasten it in place and land the wires. (I am a licensed electrician).

HTH

8)

Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2012, 08:30:10 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42