What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: My first dissapointment  (Read 6392 times)

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
My first dissapointment
« on: October 03, 2012, 09:08:30 am »
I kind of thought my new Sundance let me down last night.  But that maybe me getting used to one company doing things differently.   The majority of the time we leave our tub at 102.  But on occasion when I am very sore, I love a 20-30 minute soak at 104.   Yesterday should have been one of those nights. I strained my back severely Sunday night.  When I got home from work I got in a 104 degree tub and enjoyed it.  When we got back from bowling (yea I know, but it was league night) I opened the tub and saw 102.  Nice, but not great.  I finally figured out the tub was in ECONOMY mode.   The only negative thing I have found so far, it seems (will verify with useage) that it is easy to accidently put the tub into this mode by pressing a unlabeled multipurpose button.  My Dynasty had a dedicated ECON button that also flashed ECON in big letters on the main display when it was in that mode.   The Sundance has a tiny  STANDARD on the display when in normal mode, but this goes away in economy mode and is easy to miss that it is gone.   I'll adjust, but in my opinion, I would rather have it require two button pushes to get into economy mode, something I'll use only a couple of times a year. Kind of like when you PC asks you, "Do you really want to delete *.*?    I'll send that to them as a suggestion.  Tonight it will be 104 and I'll check as soon as I get home from work and make sure I didn't put it into economy mode again.  I don't know if we bumped it, or possibly (probably) I did so while thumbing through the clock and filter settings which share the same button.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Hot Tub Forum

My first dissapointment
« on: October 03, 2012, 09:08:30 am »

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
Re: My first dissapointment
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2012, 09:43:03 am »
You know, you overlooked one very important thing here -

Did your team win?

8)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

sorebikr

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2012, 12:04:25 pm »
I kind of thought my new Sundance let me down last night.  But that maybe me getting used to one company doing things differently.   The majority of the time we leave our tub at 102.  But on occasion when I am very sore, I love a 20-30 minute soak at 104.   Yesterday should have been one of those nights. I strained my back severely Sunday night.  When I got home from work I got in a 104 degree tub and enjoyed it.  When we got back from bowling (yea I know, but it was league night) I opened the tub and saw 102.  Nice, but not great.  I finally figured out the tub was in ECONOMY mode.   The only negative thing I have found so far, it seems (will verify with useage) that it is easy to accidently put the tub into this mode by pressing a unlabeled multipurpose button.  My Dynasty had a dedicated ECON button that also flashed ECON in big letters on the main display when it was in that mode.   The Sundance has a tiny  STANDARD on the display when in normal mode, but this goes away in economy mode and is easy to miss that it is gone.   I'll adjust, but in my opinion, I would rather have it require two button pushes to get into economy mode, something I'll use only a couple of times a year. Kind of like when you PC asks you, "Do you really want to delete *.*?    I'll send that to them as a suggestion.  Tonight it will be 104 and I'll check as soon as I get home from work and make sure I didn't put it into economy mode again.  I don't know if we bumped it, or possibly (probably) I did so while thumbing through the clock and filter settings which share the same button.

I could not agree more strongly.  As this is my first tub, "economy mode" was new to me, and I missed it on one of my many run-throughs of the owners manual.  Imagine the disappointment when, having left the tub for a week, and turning it down to 94, I returned on Friday night and set it to 102.  I come out a few hours later and...95 degrees.  *sigh*.  Took a few times before I learned that lesson.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2012, 01:18:58 pm »
You know, you overlooked one very important thing here -

Did your team win?

8)

No, we are a bunch of bowlers who haven't been in a league for 20 years joining an established league.  We are in dead last with no hope of moving up.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2012, 01:22:58 pm »

I could not agree more strongly.  As this is my first tub, "economy mode" was new to me, and I missed it on one of my many run-throughs of the owners manual.  Imagine the disappointment when, having left the tub for a week, and turning it down to 94, I returned on Friday night and set it to 102.  I come out a few hours later and...95 degrees.  *sigh*.  Took a few times before I learned that lesson.

I know that dissapointment, my Dynasty defaulted to 95 upon power failure/restore.   Sometimes we might get a short glitch during the day and I would go out to the tub and see 95. On my old tub 95 to 102 is 2 hours.  On this tub its more like 1.  But I believe the Sundance defaults to 100.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2012, 05:46:02 pm »
FYI, just for tonight, I set the tub to 106. We would probably only spend 10 minutes at that temp, but we will see.  i was once in a tub (commercial hot tub in a gym) that was 108.  Couldn't stay in more than 30 seconds.

Spoiledrotten

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2012, 11:29:56 am »
I may raise the temp in mine when it gets really cold out, but the little wife and I like ours at a "warm" 95*. We can stay in it as long as we'd like.. We have a little wine and call it "Sip and Soak".
"A bend in the road is not the end of the road... unless you fail to make the turn."

TwinCitiesHotSpring

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2012, 12:13:15 pm »
what is the purpose of Sundance's circ. pump if you still have to mess with setting cycles? is it just and independent pump that takes wear and tear of the main jet pump? it is an indepdant pump isn't it? can't you just run it constantly to always maintain temp
« Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 12:20:10 pm by TwinCitiesHotSpring »

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2012, 03:33:52 pm »
what is the purpose of Sundance's circ. pump if you still have to mess with setting cycles? is it just and independent pump that takes wear and tear of the main jet pump? it is an indepdant pump isn't it? can't you just run it constantly to always maintain temp

Yes, I believe Sundance just has the filter cycling setting instead of just having continuous filtration so they can meet GREEN energy specs.  (total guess on my part)  The default from memory is that it runs 12 hours a day. I'm going to leave everything at the defaults for awhile.

planetary

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2012, 05:20:54 pm »
12 hours by default: yes, unsurprisingly, the same on the 470.  (There are actually two operation windows you can set, per 24 hour period.)   I did a little reading on this, and some folks on this forum thought that 24 hour constant circulation was not needed.  Some people were even recommending as little as 6 hours per day.  I kept mine at 12 for now.

Hot Spring Ace

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2012, 05:33:48 pm »
12 hours by default: yes, unsurprisingly, the same on the 470.  (There are actually two operation windows you can set, per 24 hour period.)   I did a little reading on this, and some folks on this forum thought that 24 hour constant circulation was not needed.  Some people were even recommending as little as 6 hours per day.  I kept mine at 12 for now.

Only 6 hrs per day on a circ pump? That seems way low to me. For spas that use a 2 speed pump for filtering yes, 4 to 6 hrs per day is enough. I even question running a circ pump only 12 hrs bit for lighter usage that should be fine but 6 hrs seems very low to me.

TwinCitiesHotSpring

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2012, 05:55:29 pm »

I guess one of the reasons I asked was because I noticed on the Sundance website that for example every tub in the 780 series under specifications it has a column for circ pump and it says yes...but then on the 880 series instead of just saying "yes" it says Dynamic Circ. Pump so I was curious if some of then used the Jet pump for circulation until you jump into the 880 series?

planetary

« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2012, 06:00:51 pm »
Only 6 hrs per day on a circ pump? That seems way low to me. For spas that use a 2 speed pump for filtering yes, 4 to 6 hrs per day is enough. I even question running a circ pump only 12 hrs bit for lighter usage that should be fine but 6 hrs seems very low to me.

Thanks for the data point!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2012, 06:00:51 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42