What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Used Hot Tub  (Read 4776 times)

Cristal

Used Hot Tub
« on: September 11, 2012, 12:37:46 pm »
We have a hot tub shell and nothing else.  Is it worth fixing and buying new parts or should we get rid of it.  It is in perfect condition just doesnt have any componants.  Please advise.

Hot Tub Forum

Used Hot Tub
« on: September 11, 2012, 12:37:46 pm »

d00nut

Re: Used Hot Tub
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2012, 01:47:58 pm »
No plumbing, cabinet, or components?!

If the above is true, for any normal person I would say get a new spa.  If you like a project, go for it!   However, it won't be cheap... at all.

TwinCitiesHotSpring

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2012, 02:19:12 pm »
it could make a nice big planter  8).....99 times out of 100 its never worth it to attempt to "piece" a spa together especially when nice used units can be had for relatively cheap

sorebikr

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2012, 02:56:53 pm »
How about you bury it and make a Koi pond out of it?

Hot Spring Ace

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2012, 03:01:00 pm »
How about you bury it and make a Koi pond out of it?

Koy pond or landfill unless you want a major project on your hands. Its like someone giving you a car shell, are you really going to build a car out of it. Some would/could but in most cases not.

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2012, 03:30:56 pm »
I just installed a brand new digital control system, with a 5KW 220v electric heater on a spa which was obtained under similar circumstances. There was no place on the shell to put the topside control, so I had to mount it in the deck next to the tub, which works fine but they have to keep it covered with something. But let me give you a little history on this "free" tub:

I replaced the two-speed pump a month after they first got the tub from their neighbor. That little exercise was around $400, and it was only that low because I had a good used pump/motor combo which I was able to freshen up with new seal and o-ring. It is 50' from the Pacific Ocean, so there wasn't much left of the old pump motor...

With the tub running on a temporary 110 power cord, they tried it and liked it, so they decided to proceed with having it hardwired 220volt. They could not figure out how to make the swap, after paying an electrician $800 to run the power, so I made another service call and got it switched over and running. $125.

It ran for a month, then the heater fried. I had to order a complete heater with header tube - it did not have a removable element. I figured the pressure switch had failed, burning out the heater, so with a new heater assy., new pressure switch and labor, they were out another $400.

It ran for a month - then the GFI breaker started to trip. The heater tested ok, the blower was dry - it just didn't want to run anymore. The customer OK'd the installation of the new box and one thousand dollars later, they now have a digital control system which works great. That paid for a very basic box with the Balboa M7 system. It only has to run the heat on low-speed, the jets on high speed, a blower and a 12v light.

Side notes:
The tub is poorly insulated - about 1/2" foam sprayed on the back of the shell, very open cabinet.
The tub needs a new cover - $400 waiting for the approval.
The jets do not draw air. I have not figured out yet if the new-looking jet nozzles are the wrong type (I suspect) or if the whole tub was plumbed wrong when they moved it over the fence and hooked it back up. Water flows out of the air control unless you tighten it down, and the jets are mellow, to say the least.
The tub has four jets. Total.

They are getting close to the price of a brand-new Freeflow spa, and with the cost of heating it, I predict they could pay for a HotSpring Limelight tub before long...

HTH

8)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

BravoRomeo

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2012, 03:56:12 pm »
If all I had to start with was a shell and really wanted the project, I would consider just adding a Chofu wood-fired heater, and possibly a 24 hr circulation pump/filter. Jets are overrated, I think. Soaking in warm, sanitized water is the real point.

I bought my Jetsetter for $500 from a family member. It was 10 years old and needed a new cover, caddy, jets, pillow, filters, and a thorough cleaning. All-told, including electrical supplies, chemicals, test kit, aftermarket inline salt water chlorine generator, and doing the labor myself (except moving, which I hired out), I'm about $2500 into it. It's a nice tub, to be sure, and very well insulated.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2012, 03:56:12 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42