What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: HELP! Stuck between a FreeFlow, a Hot Spot, and a Cooperage  (Read 15480 times)

MWFriedman

HELP! Stuck between a FreeFlow, a Hot Spot, and a Cooperage
« on: September 09, 2012, 12:57:37 am »
So my family recently discovered while on vacation that putting my 7 year old son is like giving him valium.  So we're considering buying a hot tub for the back yard.  We have a small area of yard where we can easily lay some sort of level ground, but it's NOT big enough for a standard sized 7 x 7 hot tub.  So I've been combing every store in my area (East Bay SF) for small hot tubs that have some "shallow" seating options that my 7 year old can sit it.  I know what you're thinking.  Kids don't sit in hot tubs, they swim.  But he actually does!  If it's hot enough and I guess if he is comfortably enough.  He's only ever been in the round sunken classic tubs on vacation.

I thought we would get a classic round tub, but they are just too deep (other than the one cool down seat) and not really comfortable for me or my husband.  So I've come up with the following three models and here's what I've seen:

1)  Free Flow Passport:  This is the same spa they sell at Costco as the Aqua Terra Transport.  Size and shape is perfect.  I've been in it dry with my 7 year old and it's such a great fit.  And it's only about $3000 and comes with a 2 year warranty.  BUT, I've never heard one with water and have no idea how loud it is or how energy efficient it is to run.  But it's comfortable and I like the size and look and love the seating configuration.

2)  Cooperage Model 104:  I have seen Cooperage spas in person and heard one filled.  It's quiet, and I believe it's a decent spa.  Comes with a 3 year warranty.  Similar in that is has the little lounger where the leg portion might also be a shallow seat.  BUT nobody had one in person I can see, so I have NO IDEA how deep the other seats are.  It looks like the two side seats with one jet MIGHT be more shallow, but nobody seems to be able to give me specs.  I REALLY like the spa, but I've terrified to buy it sight unseen.  And it's not returnable either.  Boo.  This one is around $5000.

3)  Hot Springs SX:  I saw this one today and it's a decent option.  I believe that it's a good spa and is reputable.  It does't have a lounger but does have one real cool down seat.  The other seats seemed pretty deep, but I guess there are always booster seats he could use.  But it definitely seems stripped down to me.  Plastic jets, no option to upgrade.  And I let me son wet test a spa there, not the SX but the Jetsetter in a different line, and while the motor was quiet, I felt like the jets were SO LOUD.  Could have been the gazebo set up in the store, but the Cooperage I feel like was quieter.  I saw a Sundance that was quieter too, but they had nothing small enough for what we need without going up to $6600.  The SX is also around $5000, with a 2 year warranty.

So, what would you do?  I'm a total first time spa owner.  No idea if we'll use it every day, or barely ever.  Thoughts???

Hot Tub Forum

HELP! Stuck between a FreeFlow, a Hot Spot, and a Cooperage
« on: September 09, 2012, 12:57:37 am »

Hot Spring Ace

Re: HELP! Stuck between a FreeFlow, a Hot Spot, and a Cooperage
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2012, 01:04:13 pm »
When spas are open and the pumps are on high for the jets, all are spas are reallty similar. When they are closed is where you'll see a noise difference. The Freeflow and Sx are both full foam spas which helps with noise and should be similar overall for overall noise level. They both use a 2 speed pump which will be on part of the day for filtering and heating which has some noise level if its close to the house.

If noise is really an issue then I'd highly suggest you get a spa with a 24/7 circ pump which is whisper quiet to the point you won't even know its on even if youre standing next to it (and circ pumps are a bit more energy efficient too). At that same dealer that had the SX I'd suggest you ask about the Bolt or Prodigy, 2 small to medium sized spas with circ pumps.

TLWR

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2012, 06:50:14 pm »
Check out the Caldera Kauai http://www.calderaspas.com/Spa_Showroom_Hot_Tubs/model_hot_tub_kauai.html
Small, quiet, shallow, made by Hot Springs, but sold by their own Caldera dealers. Similar in shape/dimension to the Hot Springs Jet Setter, but with much more room inside due to the seating and intake configuration.
We've had one 6 months, and really like it.

Don't but a spa without wet testing it. We were all set to buy a different model, it felt great dry, but was awful when we wet tested it. Would have been a huge 6k mistake.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2012, 06:54:58 pm by TLWR »

MWFriedman

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2012, 07:08:12 pm »
Thanks for the tips so far.  At the Hot Springs Dealer, I looked at the Bolt and it was both too deep and also too expensive.  $6600 is more spa than we need.  As for Caldera, there isn't a dealer close enough to me.  There's on in Novato, but that would be pretty far for me to drive just to look at a Hot Tub.

Any more thoughts on comparing just these 3 Hot Tubs?  Anyone have an opinion about the Cooperage 104?

Thanks.

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2012, 08:50:12 pm »
Nordic makes some nice round tubs.  The impulse can be had for around 3500 and is a 31" deep round one that comfortably holds four.  Out of the three that you picked I would go with the sx before the freeflow.  Cooperage I have never heard of before.

MWFriedman

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2012, 08:59:16 pm »
Thanks for the tip.  We actually started our search by looking at a Nordic round tub, but found that other than the one cool down seat, they were all too deep for our little people, even with a booster seat.

Hot Spring Ace

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2012, 11:06:40 am »
Thanks for the tips so far.  At the Hot Springs Dealer, I looked at the Bolt and it was both too deep and also too expensive.  $6600 is more spa than we need.  As for Caldera, there isn't a dealer close enough to me.  There's on in Novato, but that would be pretty far for me to drive just to look at a Hot Tub.

Any more thoughts on comparing just these 3 Hot Tubs?  Anyone have an opinion about the Cooperage 104?

Thanks.

I don't know the cooperage, I just know the other two both of which are good smaller spas that are built to last and fully insualted.

MWFriedman

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2012, 12:09:49 pm »
Hot Spring Ace, does that mean you'd consider the Free Flow a decent spa that will last us 5 to 10 years?  I am hoping it would, but am nervous.  Of all the ones I've seen, I actually like it the best, and not just for the price point.  It's the best size and configuration for what we need.  But I'm worried that once the 2 year warranty is up it will be broken all the time.  What do you think?

Hot Spring Ace

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2012, 12:45:21 pm »
Hot Spring Ace, does that mean you'd consider the Free Flow a decent spa that will last us 5 to 10 years?  I am hoping it would, but am nervous.  Of all the ones I've seen, I actually like it the best, and not just for the price point.  It's the best size and configuration for what we need.  But I'm worried that once the 2 year warranty is up it will be broken all the time.  What do you think?

A lot of cheap spas available out there don't last and/or cost an arm and a leg to operate. The nice thing with Freeflow is they are simple, they last and they're insulated. Sure they don't have the bells and whistles or a high number of jets and they aren't as pretty as some others since theyr'e a one pice shell/body. They're a good option for those looking to spend less than $5k and are looking for something that just gets the job done. 

MWFriedman

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2012, 03:24:09 pm »
I just also discovered the Marquis Mirage which looks too good to be true, and I'm told I can also get around $5000 with a 5 year warranty?  Thoughts?  They came up on another forum as another good brand.  I'll have to hike to get there, but might be worth it?

TwinCitiesHotSpring

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2012, 03:47:12 pm »
I just also discovered the Marquis Mirage which looks too good to be true, and I'm told I can also get around $5000 with a 5 year warranty?  Thoughts?  They came up on another forum as another good brand.  I'll have to hike to get there, but might be worth it?

to good to be true will depend on how you like the spa...Marquis as a company has always been decent but make sure you like the layout/seating and schedule a wet-test if possible. 

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2012, 04:12:58 pm »
Just so you know: the TX and SX tubs can be fitted with a 24/7 Circ pump. You can also add ozone - the exact same ozone system which is factory installed on the more expensive HotSpring tubs. That gives you silent running excect when the jets are on, and it adds one more feature I really like: the upgrade kit comes with a new section of plumbing so the water for the jets doesn't go through the heater anymore. It "cleans up" the flow to the jets, and you get noticeably more umph at the jets.

I just installed a kit on a TX (fits the SX as well) and it was great. On the TX I was working on, we put in the ozone too, and the customer basically has a Jetsetter for half price.

HTH

8)

Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

TwinCitiesHotSpring

« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2012, 04:52:36 pm »
Just so you know: the TX and SX tubs can be fitted with a 24/7 Circ pump. You can also add ozone - the exact same ozone system which is factory installed on the more expensive HotSpring tubs. That gives you silent running excect when the jets are on, and it adds one more feature I really like: the upgrade kit comes with a new section of plumbing so the water for the jets doesn't go through the heater anymore. It "cleans up" the flow to the jets, and you get noticeably more umph at the jets.

I just installed a kit on a TX (fits the SX as well) and it was great. On the TX I was working on, we put in the ozone too, and the customer basically has a Jetsetter for half price.

HTH

8)

funny I just quoted a customer on a TX w/ ozone and Circ. pump this morning...and to OP if you add a circ. pump to either of these models you have an incredibly efficient and easy to maintain spa...obviously this is a huge draw for some of these smaller units...easy to maintain, energy consumption is very minimal, heat up time is very quick (when hooked up 220v) and replacement filters/parts etc. are all relatively cheap

Hot Spring Ace

« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2012, 05:48:35 pm »

HTH

8)

Very good point. A SX with a circ pump would make it very quiet.

MWFriedman

« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2012, 08:55:11 pm »
Thank you so much everyone for all the great feedback!  I'm going this weekend to wet test the FreeFlow Passport, the Hot Springs SX, and now the Marquis Mirage.  I am dropping the Cooperage as an option.  I did find a 104 I could see in person, but he wouldn't wet test it, so I've decided it's out.  Will report back next week on the purchase, but thanks to this forum, I feel like any of the 3 would be a good choice based on what "feels" right in person.  All things being equal, I think I'd pick the Marquis at this point because of the warranty.  Thanks for all the info!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2012, 08:55:11 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42