What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: My spa energy cost is killing me!  (Read 4263 times)

scottkeen

My spa energy cost is killing me!
« on: August 28, 2012, 08:59:26 pm »
I have a Caldera Spas "pre-Watkins" Tahitian Paradise spa (mfg June 1997).

The energy cost to run it in Hawaii is killing me.
With the highest electric rates in the country -- 6x times the national average -- I believe it's costing me $150/month to run the spa in "Economy" mode with the spa temperature set to the minimum 80-degrees! (Before I hooked up the spa, my electric bill was ~$300/month. With the spa, it's about ~$450/month)

The ambient air temperature is 75-85 degrees so the spa heater doesn't even come on.

I only use the spa 1 or 2 days a week for 30 minutes.

What's running up the bill is the pre-programmed filter cycles. These filter cycles run for 5 hours twice a day. The filter cycles run Pump 1 in low speed (there's only (1) 2-speed 2.0 HP pump, no secondary pump, no circulation pump, no blower) and the ozone generator.

I'm considering shutting off the spa at the GFCI circuit every-other week, or during the week and turn it on only during weekends. Of course this means the water won't be filtered and ozoned while it's off.

Questions:
  • Is there a way to program the filter cycles to be shorter? I couldn't find an operator's manual for this control board, maybe it can't be programmed.
  • Is there a more modern programmable control board I can get to replace the one I have? Which one?
  • What other ways can I reduce my energy cost of running this spa? It's set to Economy mode and the temperature is set to the minimum already so the heater doesn't come on.

The control board is a Caldera Spas ST-9715-DCA (Balboa 51413-03)

« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 11:00:34 pm by scottkeen »

Hot Tub Forum

My spa energy cost is killing me!
« on: August 28, 2012, 08:59:26 pm »

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
Re: My spa energy cost is killing me!
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2012, 03:46:18 pm »
I have a Caldera Spas "pre-Watkins" Tahitian Paradise spa (mfg June 1997).

The energy cost to run it in Hawaii is killing me.
With the highest electric rates in the country -- 6x times the national average -- I believe it's costing me $150/month to run the spa in "Economy" mode with the spa temperature set to the minimum 80-degrees! (Before I hooked up the spa, my electric bill was ~$300/month. With the spa, it's about ~$450/month)

The ambient air temperature is 75-85 degrees so the spa heater doesn't even come on.

I only use the spa 1 or 2 days a week for 30 minutes.

What's running up the bill is the pre-programmed filter cycles. These filter cycles run for 5 hours twice a day. The filter cycles run Pump 1 in low speed (there's only (1) 2-speed 2.0 HP pump, no secondary pump, no circulation pump, no blower) and the ozone generator.

I'm considering shutting off the spa at the GFCI circuit every-other week, or during the week and turn it on only during weekends. Of course this means the water won't be filtered and ozoned while it's off.

Questions:
  • Is there a way to program the filter cycles to be shorter? I couldn't find an operator's manual for this control board, maybe it can't be programmed.
  • Is there a more modern programmable control board I can get to replace the one I have? Which one?
  • What other ways can I reduce my energy cost of running this spa? It's set to Economy mode and the temperature is set to the minimum already so the heater doesn't come on.

The control board is a Caldera Spas ST-9715-DCA (Balboa 51413-03)

For normal usage 4 hours of filtration a day should be enough. Your running your pump for 10 hours a day. How much do you use the tub? I can't tell you how to program the filtration cycles but it can be done.
Retired

Hot Tub Forum

Re: My spa energy cost is killing me!
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2012, 03:46:18 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42