What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Review: Our Recent Purchase  (Read 10983 times)

JohnnyK45

Review: Our Recent Purchase
« on: August 24, 2012, 02:20:59 pm »
Our recent hot tub purchase, a few comments...

After finishing our research on different models, the one that had the features, flexibility, warranty and other requirements for our family...was the Viking 2.  Cost was $2700 and we have it placed just outside our back door area.  Thus far, we couldn't be happier; comfortable and flexible seating (great for our 11yr old and youngest), powerful and adjustable jets and quiet operation.  The homework paid off, we made the right choice for us.

Quick Specs: 72" round x 35" deep, 110/220 (we have it on 110 for now, likely 220 in a year or two when we do a house panel upgrade), 250 gal, 20 jets (with whirlpool jet), ozonator, 2hp and Balboa controls.  Under 30 min. to fill if memory serves me right and about 25 min. to empty with a pump I bought (vs. using their drain tube).  On 110, it took about 1/2 a day (just over 12 hours) to get the 69 degree water from the hose up to 101. 

For a cover holder, I ordered online a Cover Caddy by Cover Valet.  This thing is great; allows for the cover to be slid from the spa right into the open arms of the caddy.  The caddy can be kept out horizontally the whole time while holding the cover, or you can fold it downward to hide nearly all of the cover from sight as well.  Fantastic product, no drilling required so you can move it around after draining your tub if you ever wanted to re-position it.  Below shot shows it in the closed position.

Chemicals (which I posted on a little bit ago), I went with EcoOne.  So far, although early, working great.  All levels came in line where they're suppose to, with the free chlorine coming in at the min. recommended amount.  I added one bottle of their Spa Monthly natural cleaner, then one of their tiny packets of their OneShock.  I hope it continues to go as easy as it has been with this product; so far, very impressed and working well; just chucked in another tiny packet after we used it yesterday.

We are thrilled with everything and I must say the guys at Viking (who I have bugged in the past with questions while we were looking around at different brands, etc. and even after getting our tub), have been fantastic.  No, I'm not associated with them, nor do I sell hot tubs  :), but their tech support guys and even their head sales guys have always called me back within an hour or so of any message I left them.  Little ol' me looking at one of their cheaper spas mind you, and they gave me all the time in the world that I wanted and answered all my questions, A+ in my book.  Same too of the owner at EcoGeeks (distr. of EcoOne), the gentleman chatted with me for a good 15-20 min. when I called him; again, answered all my questions at the time and talked about other misc. stuff too.  Some good folks in this industry.

That's about it, a real life in-the-field quick review  ;D - thanks to all on this forum for the feedback with previous questions I had asked, much appreciated.  Oh, and great older articles and postings too that I spent a little time looking up and reading; so, anyone newer to the forum, don't forget to do a "search" - some great resources on this site!

Hot Tub Forum

Review: Our Recent Purchase
« on: August 24, 2012, 02:20:59 pm »

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
Re: Review: Our Recent Purchase
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2012, 02:27:55 pm »
  Looks nice! 

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2012, 02:40:12 pm »
Beautiful...enjoy!
Support your dealer so they can support you!

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2012, 02:51:08 pm »
Good to hear some positive reviews about companies you don't read about on here much

TwinCitiesHotSpring

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2012, 03:43:53 pm »
lookin good...only thing your missing is a matching curved redwood step :-)

JohnnyK45

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2012, 04:01:06 pm »
Thanks guys!  In terms of the steps, got those, the rounded redwood ones - hidden in the photos by the rose bush near our back door.   ;)

I also haven't attached the buckle strap things; want to wait a few weeks to make sure I like the placement of the cover before screwing those in.  Was also debating about picking up a 3/16 i-bolt thingy to possibly replace with some of the cabinet screws on the bottom, and thus, use these i-bolts for fastening the cover with the aid of a small bungee cord.  Perhaps too much screwing around and soon I'll just drill in the tiny screws for the buckle snaps - was just thinking of a way to secure the cover without drilling holes in the side.

vangoghsear

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2012, 04:22:17 pm »
Very nice looking tub.  The style is very similar to my Bullfrog 151R, I really like the modern redwood tub style.  Love the color of yours, mine is grey in color and we just took what they had because they gave us a showroom discount.

Couple questions, what kind of insulation?  Full foam or something else?  And what is the base like?

JohnnyK45

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2012, 06:47:57 pm »
Our price was also on what our dealer had on hand; but I do like the color.  That grey on yours looks like a natural grey to me, like you would see with a faded wood fence; nice.

Insulation - from their flyer...  "Viking coats the underside of the shell with a closed-cell EPA approved polyurethane foam to provide ultimate support to load bearing areas.  The properties of the foam also insulate the spa for maximum energy conservation efficiency as well.  Lifetime warranty on our spa shell."

The base appears to be an inch or inch and a half of wood (I think); it looks like one big piece.

J

vangoghsear

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2012, 08:17:46 pm »
Our price was also on what our dealer had on hand; but I do like the color.  That grey on yours looks like a natural grey to me, like you would see with a faded wood fence; nice.
Thanks, the grey is decent, it does look like a weathered wood.

Insulation - from their flyer...  "Viking coats the underside of the shell with a closed-cell EPA approved polyurethane foam to provide ultimate support to load bearing areas.  The properties of the foam also insulate the spa for maximum energy conservation efficiency as well.  Lifetime warranty on our spa shell."

The base appears to be an inch or inch and a half of wood (I think); it looks like one big piece.

J

Sounds like it has high end features for a great price.  Enjoy it!   8)

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2012, 09:06:29 am »
Nice job with the photos, thanks.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2012, 09:06:29 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42