What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Caldera - multiple systems failure  (Read 4127 times)

BajaJeff

Caldera - multiple systems failure
« on: August 17, 2012, 11:42:26 am »
I was checking the chemicals in my 2004 Caldera Olympia last week only to find no power to the spa. I found the GFI breaker blown and reset it, only to have it go off again immediately. We had coincidentally had an SDG&E scheduled power outage a couple of days earlier and not used the tub since then. The Caldera tech now tells me that the controller board, the heater, and the 2 speed pump all need to be replaced. It seems very unlikely to me that all three would fail at the same time (tub was fine when used one week ago), UNLESS it is somehow power outage related. Could one system cause both others to fail also? We are talking about replacing pretty much all systems in the tub.
thanks

Hot Tub Forum

Caldera - multiple systems failure
« on: August 17, 2012, 11:42:26 am »

Hot Spring Ace

Re: Caldera - multiple systems failure
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2012, 12:48:16 pm »
I was checking the chemicals in my 2004 Caldera Olympia last week only to find no power to the spa. I found the GFI breaker blown and reset it, only to have it go off again immediately. We had coincidentally had an SDG&E scheduled power outage a couple of days earlier and not used the tub since then. The Caldera tech now tells me that the controller board, the heater, and the 2 speed pump all need to be replaced. It seems very unlikely to me that all three would fail at the same time (tub was fine when used one week ago), UNLESS it is somehow power outage related. Could one system cause both others to fail also? We are talking about replacing pretty much all systems in the tub.
thanks

Its unlikely all 3 are the issue all at once. If you want to figure this out yourself, with the breaker tripped I suggest you disconnect the heater and pump (and ozonator and blower if you have them) and try to power it up with just the board connected. Make sure you take note of what is connected where before you start disconnecting anything with pictures or notes. If it still won't power back up then the board is at issue. If it does power back up with just the board connected then reconnect each component back in one at a time and you should be able to logically find the culprit. Add the pump back in first since heaters, blowers and ozone are more likely than the pump to be the issue. Be careful that you are being safe with the breaker tripped/off when disconnecting/connecting anything.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 12:49:59 pm by Hot Spring Ace »

BajaJeff

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2012, 09:45:37 am »
Thanks for your thoughts Ace. The tech at the time replaced all three parts. He was here for a few hours, the first replacement pump leaked. He ended up going back to dealership twice for parts. I asked him to leave me the old parts (possibly to test later). He had left the old pump at the dealer, but left board and heater. He seemed concerned and competent, but the 3 component failure within one week of my last use (we have had a heat wave), just doesn't seem right. I'm out $1,359, and reticent to unplug and test anything and possibly void the 1 year warranty on the new equipment if something fails.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2012, 09:45:37 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42