What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Lazyboy spas  (Read 29666 times)

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
Lazyboy spas
« on: August 14, 2012, 01:32:47 pm »
In case some people aren't hanging on my every word and reading my SHOPPING AGAIN thread,  Has anyone have anything to say about Lazyboy spas?  I'll have to admit to never having heard of them prior to going to see a dealer last night.  This one caught our interest.  The shell didn't impress me, but I'm keeping an open mind.

Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Hot Tub Forum

Lazyboy spas
« on: August 14, 2012, 01:32:47 pm »

TwinCitiesHotSpring

Re: Lazyboy spas
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2012, 02:02:56 pm »
I've never came across one and I don't think they have a local dealer in my area but based on what I see on the website they appear to be one of the smaller "middle of the road brands" such as: Maax, Catalina, Great Lakes, Clearwater, Coast, LA Spas, etc. not that its a bad thing, its just there isn't a million units on the market like other big brands so finding recent feedback/reviews off the web may be tough to do.  Pricing will also play a factor because they obviously just purchased the name with the intention of it helping them sell spas, what were your quoted? I know when their website first launched each spa has a ridiculous MSRP number which they since removed so I was just curious what they are selling for?

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2012, 02:42:26 pm »
I didn't pin the guy down to specifics, but this tub had an MSRP of $14k. I can't remember if he told me I could have it for high 9s or low 10s. He told me it was made by hydropool.   Not sure how good this store's wet test facility it. Might have to be an after hours thing if I get serious there.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2012, 03:36:08 pm »
Have never posted on here before but have been following threads for awhile.  One of my competitiors sell these tubs.  Haven't had the pleasure of working on what yet but they seem to be a decently built hot tub.  Back 7-8 years ago I worked for a company that sold Hydropool and we put many in this marketplace.  Hydropool to me seemed like a well made tub with a decent warranty.  I can't remember having any major issues with the Hydropools and at that time we sold well over 100 tubs per year.

JohnnyK45

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2012, 11:46:33 pm »
What kind of warranty do they offer, I didn't see anything on their site unless I missed it? 

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2012, 07:03:56 am »
What kind of warranty do they offer, I didn't see anything on their site unless I missed it?

I wasn't interested enough at that point to ask. I found the tub interesting, but figured I would research when I got home if I was interested enough.  I don't think its going to make my wet test list.

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2012, 10:28:19 am »
The warranty on Hydropool is 5 years on surface, 5 years on equipment and 3 years labor if I remember correctly/  I would assume the Lazy-boy would be similar.  It is kind of weird that they don't put anything on the website about warranties

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2012, 12:55:14 pm »
La-Z-Boy is another one of those interesting licensing stories. In 2007/8 this brand was made by Tatum Manufacturing Inc....aka Gulf Coast Spas.

The beginning of 2008;"La-Z-Boy is a trademark of La-Z-Boy Incorporated and is used under license to Tatum Manufacturing Inc. "

End of 2008 into 2009; "La-Z-Boy is a trademark of La-Z-Boy Incorporated and is used under license to Living Water Products. "

In 2010 things changed again; "La-Z-Boy is a trademark of La-Z-Boy Incorporated and is used under lisence to 2217044 Ontario Inc"

If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2012, 01:31:13 pm »
La-Z-Boy is another one of those interesting licensing stories. In 2007/8 this brand was made by Tatum Manufacturing Inc....aka Gulf Coast Spas.

The beginning of 2008;"La-Z-Boy is a trademark of La-Z-Boy Incorporated and is used under license to Tatum Manufacturing Inc. "

End of 2008 into 2009; "La-Z-Boy is a trademark of La-Z-Boy Incorporated and is used under license to Living Water Products. "

In 2010 things changed again; "La-Z-Boy is a trademark of La-Z-Boy Incorporated and is used under lisence to 2217044 Ontario Inc"

La-Z-Boy spas is the Zsa Zsa Gabor of hot tub brand names.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2012, 03:54:38 pm »
My quick perception of these, the shells felt like thick plastic reminiscent of cheaper spa brands I've seen. I won't back that with any facts or logic, just a feel from me.   Footwell area was cramped.  The spa shown had two loungers, sort of they are almost vertical much as a lazy boy is the up position. Each of these seats had its own special massage mode controls, which from the looks did a programmed massage sequence.  Is that better than just having all the jets go at the same time? Probably not, probably a gimick, but who knows I didn't think IPADS would go anywhere.

JohnnyK45

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2012, 07:39:50 pm »
Having a sound warranty costs money and them not listing a word about that would also cause me to look, but move on.  Perhaps an over-saturated and/or soft furniture market caused them to give this a shot; although, talk about a market that is so darn over-saturated into oblivion with different companies, private brands, models, online only ordering companies, good grief...

Heck, on Craigslist by me, some "local home distributor" does non-stop posts for Laguna Bay Spas (ever hear of these guys???); with each posting having a slightly different headline or minor tweak in the wording, but all the same phone number and always for either a $2,800 51 jet unit...or...an 81 jet unit for $3,800.

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2012, 07:45:53 pm »
Johnny they are on craigslist everyday where I live also. I've called before and you never get a person only voicemail. 

JohnnyK45

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2012, 11:11:12 pm »
Craigslist must be working for them; seems like an easy gig to be a rep for them, just place ads on Craigslist while eating breakfast and wait for the phone to ring.  ;)

Here is another mfg most have likely never heard of...Tuff Spas...

I saw two of these set-up at our local fair, seemed pretty solid.  What I did like on these was their lid and how easy it flips up and down on each side - just wonder how well this plastic molded hood keeps the heat inside vs. the more traditional covers?
« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 07:05:30 am by wmccall »

TwinCitiesHotSpring

« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2012, 12:14:40 pm »
Craigslist must be working for them; seems like an easy gig to be a rep for them, just place ads on Craigslist while eating breakfast and wait for the phone to ring.  ;)

Here is another mfg most have likely never heard of...Tuff Spas...

I saw two of these set-up at our local fair, seemed pretty solid.  What I did like on these was their lid and how easy it flips up and down on each side - just wonder how well this plastic molded hood keeps the heat inside vs. the more traditional covers?

interesting little tidbit about Tuff spas, I just sold a spa to a customer 2 weeks ago and as soon as it arrives we are delivering it and hauling away there 4 month old Tuff spa.  When I was doing an onsite inspection she was literally swearing at the thing, severely inadequate filtration the thing runs all day long is what she told me, please just take this mistake away

again I have no experience with them personally just relaying my only recent experience about them so take it for what its worth

JohnnyK45

« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2012, 01:19:15 pm »
Interesting.  Looks like they are made or distr. by Quality Leisure Products.  For what's its worth, they have a C+ rating with the BBB.  The website for Tuff Spas reminds me of a Go Daddy site.  Neat concept though with the hard cover that slides down each side.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2012, 01:19:15 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42