What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: What does your tub do after a power outage?  (Read 11476 times)

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
What does your tub do after a power outage?
« on: August 13, 2012, 03:27:44 pm »
Just curious for those of you with newer tubs.  If you lose power and it comes back does it remember the temp setting or does it go to some preset value?
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Hot Tub Forum

What does your tub do after a power outage?
« on: August 13, 2012, 03:27:44 pm »

H2O

Re: What does your tub do after a power outage?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2012, 05:47:46 pm »
Mine goes back to a preset setup :)

TLWR

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2012, 06:13:01 pm »
My 2012 Caldera goes to a preset temp.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2012, 12:45:43 pm »
Hmm, I thought that would be one thing Hot tub technology would have updated by now.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Hot Spring Ace

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2012, 01:31:29 pm »
I hate to disagree but a 2012 Caldera or Hot Spring will keep its temp setting in case of a power outage. I just verified it to make sure I wasn't having a brain freeze by setting one to 103, pwoering down, waiting a few minutes and pwoering back up and sure enough it was still 103. Now if you have that Caldera temp set to one of the special upper temp settings that go above 104º then I think it may go back to a preset temp but if you're in the normal operating setpoint range of 104º or below it will keep your temp with a power outage. 

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2012, 02:47:55 pm »
I hate to disagree but a 2012 Caldera or Hot Spring will keep its temp setting in case of a power outage. I just verified it to make sure I wasn't having a brain freeze by setting one to 103, pwoering down, waiting a few minutes and pwoering back up and sure enough it was still 103. Now if you have that Caldera temp set to one of the special upper temp settings that go above 104º then I think it may go back to a preset temp but if you're in the normal operating setpoint range of 104º or below it will keep your temp with a power outage.

Good to know, we get a lot of short power drops, nothing to hurt the tub in 10 years, but on rare occasions where I haven't been in the tub for a couple of days and there was a power glitch the tub may be at 95 and I would have to wait just over an hour to use it.

vangoghsear

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2012, 07:37:44 am »
Had a twenty minute power outage early this morning and my Bullfrog 151R held its program when I came out 3 hours later.

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2012, 09:57:49 am »
My Epic retains the set information..not sure for how long though
Support your dealer so they can support you!

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2012, 10:11:33 am »
My showroom gets an occasional outage, and all the tubs hold our settings when the power returns. My tubs at home have retained our settings as well.

8)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2012, 03:59:30 pm »
My Epic retains the set information..not sure for how long though

Being that my degree is in electronic Engineering I would guess perhaps for many days, depending on how they do it. With the price today of flash ram, it should be permanent, but I doubt that technology has been incorporated into hot tub controls yet, but I could be wrong.   I'm guessing a small watch type battery might be involved and they tend to get old after several years.  (pure speculation)    I'm kind of looking forward to new technologies on display/controls.  On my current tub every now and then someone accidently puts it in metric and I either have to find the manual, or just cycle power as it doesn't store that either.

tomsem

• 2010 Caldera Niagra
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2012, 07:58:23 pm »
I have a Caldera tub and can confirm it  holds temp as well.  The power never has been out long enough for it to reset to a different temp.

As far as to how they do it, my "guess" is one of two ideas:

1. a watch type cell as wmccall said or.....

2. a capacitor that stays charged as long as power is applied and then supplies a small current to the memory until it totally discharges at some approximate designated time.  The time can be determined by current draw and how big a capacitor to put in along with associated circuitry.

I think if the power stays out for long enough, either method would go dead totally and reset to the stock temp value.  It must take quite awhile though judging by the responses.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2012, 07:58:23 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42