What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Why wouldn't I just buy this from Costco instead of $14k on an Sundance Aspen?  (Read 31686 times)

zybar

Starting next week this tub can be had for $7k: 

http://www.costco.com/Browse/ProductSet.aspx?Prodid=11737956&whse=BC&Ne=4000000&eCat=BC%7C50126%7C87124%7C4640&N=4047223&Mo=13&pos=0&No=1&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&cat=4640&Ns=P_Price%7C1%7C%7CP_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&Sp=C&ec=BC-EC33047-Cat87124&topnav=

Yes, I know that I won't have the benefit of a local dealer and I also would be getting a shorter warranty.

But it is half the price!!!

This is our first hot tub and I want to do this right.  I am just really struggling to understand what that extra $7k really gets me with the Aspen.

BTW, is there a way to compare monthly energy costs?

George
« Last Edit: August 11, 2012, 09:21:03 am by zybar »

Hot Tub Forum

Water Boy

George,

I would strongly encourage you to stay away from that Costco spa. Its one thing to buy a spa from Costco for 2-3k, but if you are going to spend 7-8k, you could get a great spa from a reputable manufacturer, and from a good local dealer that would be there for you after the purchase. Here are some questions to think about with the Costco spa:
Who is going to deliver it to you?
Who is going to service it when it needs service?
Who is going to help you with questions on chemicals and spa controls?
Where are you going to get parts when parts are needed?
What about replacement filters?

You would get all that and more from a local dealer, and none of that from Costco. Personally, that spa looks like a cheaply made spa, that they make look good with a high jet count and fancy lighting? Is 100 plus jets really necessary?

You are looking at one of the highest priced spas on the market in the Sundance Aspen. I would guess that you could get a Sundance, Hot Spring, Arctic Spa, Caldera, Jacuzzi, Marquis, etc in the price range you are looking to spend. I would highly recommend that any day over the Costco spa.

You get what you pay for my friend. We have all learned that lesson a time or two in life, and the same applies to hot tubs. Its not that the Sundace dealer has the spa marked up 7k more than the Costco tub, it is just a much better built, better insulated spa than the cheaper costco spa imo.
Arctic Spas Dealer of the Year- 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009

Water Boy

Here is a thread from a few years back that you might check out George.
This is a story why customers should avoid hot tubs from big box stores and stick with a local reputable dealer imo.

http://www.whatsthebest-hottub.com/forum/index.php/topic,11306.msg143015.html#msg143015

zybar

George,

I would strongly encourage you to stay away from that Costco spa. Its one thing to buy a spa from Costco for 2-3k, but if you are going to spend 7-8k, you could get a great spa from a reputable manufacturer, and from a good local dealer that would be there for you after the purchase. Here are some questions to think about with the Costco spa:
Who is going to deliver it to you?
Who is going to service it when it needs service?
Who is going to help you with questions on chemicals and spa controls?
Where are you going to get parts when parts are needed?
What about replacement filters?

You would get all that and more from a local dealer, and none of that from Costco. Personally, that spa looks like a cheaply made spa, that they make look good with a high jet count and fancy lighting? Is 100 plus jets really necessary?

You are looking at one of the highest priced spas on the market in the Sundance Aspen. I would guess that you could get a Sundance, Hot Spring, Arctic Spa, Caldera, Jacuzzi, Marquis, etc in the price range you are looking to spend. I would highly recommend that any day over the Costco spa.

You get what you pay for my friend. We have all learned that lesson a time or two in life, and the same applies to hot tubs. Its not that the Sundace dealer has the spa marked up 7k more than the Costco tub, it is just a much better built, better insulated spa than the cheaper costco spa imo.

I hear ya and understand where you are coming from, however, it still irks me when comparisons are done based on generalizations.

Delivery is not an issue. 
Service under warranty would be by the vendor who has an office around 30 mins from my house.
I don't really think I will need lots of help on chemicals and controls.  I have owned a pool before and didn't need to go to the pool shop to figure stuff out.  Is a spa that much harder?
I would get parts from the vendor.

Why do you say the Divine hot tub looks cheaply made?  Not looking to pick a fight, but rather to understand and learn.  Since vendors don't seem to publish a ton of meaningful specs tha would allow for a comparison, how are you making one?  Just on a picture?

I thought that there were only a handful of companies that make the hot tub shells, controls, pumps, etc...if that is correct, how can I tell what's inside each tub to do a good comparison? 

BTW, I haven't seen any tubs at the size we want, with the features we want, for around $7k.  Please let me know what they are so I can investigate.

As for the "you get what you pay for" saying, I am well aware of that.  I am not looking to buy crap and I am not trying to pinch pennies.  That being said, we all know that there is a line of diminishing returns on all of these items.  Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be enough reliable and useful information out there to help one determine where that line is.  If I could figure that out, it would allow me to make a more informed decision on how I want to spend my money.   

George

zybar

Here is a thread from a few years back that you might check out George.
This is a story why customers should avoid hot tubs from big box stores and stick with a local reputable dealer imo.

http://www.whatsthebest-hottub.com/forum/index.php/topic,11306.msg143015.html#msg143015

That thread is from 4 years ago and I am not sure it is accurate representation of what my experience would be if I purchased today.  I have multiple friends who have purchased hot tubs from Costco over the last 12-16 months and all are happy - with no product issues.  Given that their purchases were recent, none can comment on the longevity of the hot tubs.

BTW, my wife has worked for Costco for the past 23 years and it is a good company who stands behind their products.  I am not worried on that front.  Although I admit that the thought of having to bring back a hot tub to get a full refund in the worst case scenario sounds like something I would not want to deal with.

George

zybar

One last thing...I actually want to buy the Aspen on many levels.  We wet tested and really liked it. 

The local dealer has been in business for 30 years and promises to provide great after sale service and support.

I just can't wrap my head around the asking price and justifying it.

George

Water Boy

Can you wet test the Divine?

It sounds like you really like the Sundance to me. I would go back and talk to the dealer and tell him that. But tell him that you can buy a spa at Costco for 7k. Maybe he will come down on price some on the Aspen where you can justify the asking price. Or, maybe he will show you some of their spas that are closer to the 7-8k price range.

I really think you would me MUCH happier in the long run George if you bought from a/or the local dealer who has been in business for 30 plus years, especially if you are dropping 7-8k. You will get a much better product, far better warranty, better service, a better insulated tub. I have been in the business for about 11 years now, and I personally would highly advise you to stay away from he Costco tub. Thats just my opinion. I have read and seen far to many horror stories over the years with customers being very unhappy in the long run. Its one thing to buy diapers, TV's, Tires, or even beds from a Costco. Those products very rarely if ever need serviced. But, the hot tub will need service from time to time, and  I know in the long run, that would make the difference from the local dealer and the local Costco. If you go look at the Divine website, I think you will see the differences.

TwinCitiesHotSpring

One last thing...I actually want to buy the Aspen on many levels.  We wet tested and really liked it. 

The local dealer has been in business for 30 years and promises to provide great after sale service and support.

I just can't wrap my head around the asking price and justifying it.

George

part of the problem is you have expensive taste lol....but seriously (swim spas aside) at 14-15k your looking at one of the most expensive spas in the entire industry so of course wrapping your head around that price difference will be tough, something high end in the 9-11k would obviously be much easier to justify. 

I could type out 4 paragraphs about why I personally would choose a reputable brand over Costco, but honestly all it will turn into is an argument so all I will tell you is what I would tell anybody else on here looking for a spa: 1. do your research (you obviously are) 2. make sure you can sit in any spa you are looking to purchase, a wet test is preferred (whether its 3k or 15k, would u buy a car without driving it?) 3. buy from someone reputable and who has a track record of being a solid business (if buying from costco, make sure you don't mind a little DIY) In the end you and your family need to be comfortable with the spa as well as the price of the spa, I mean obviously paying 7k is much better than paying 14k but if the seats are uncomfortable and the jet pressure is subpar (not saying it will, just using as example) you haven't saved 7k in the end, but rather wasted 7k because you don't use the spa...just my .02

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
I find a comparison between those 2 options a bit odd, no offense. There are a lot of very good options out there at $7k and plenty of others at 8, 9, 10k.... Sundance is a good option but I wouldn't pay $14k for an Aspen. I wouldn't buy the Costco spa either.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

zybar

I find a comparison between those 2 options a bit odd, no offense. There are a lot of very good options out there at $7k and plenty of others at 8, 9, 10k.... Sundance is a good option but I wouldn't pay $14k for an Aspen. I wouldn't buy the Costco spa either.

I realize that the two choices are somewhat at opposite ends of the spectrum.

So what are some other options?

George

manwgoldengun

"Since vendors don't seem to publish a ton of meaningful specs that would allow for a comparison, how are you making one?  Just on a picture?"    That comment sums it up.  George!!  Absolutely NO comparison.  I researched the Costco spas---They seem to change every year!  I managed to find the specifications--semi-insulated foam, ozone instead of Clear Ray, meaningless warranty, misleading information about horsepower......DO NOT WASTE $8k.  Listen to these guys.  One comment from a Cotsco spa owner was that his electric bill went up $100/month.  What if it leaks when you fill it up?  READ THE FINE PRINT.  I recommend stepping down to an Optima($10k) instead of an Aspen.  My friend works for Costco and they take back a spa/week.  And that's at 1 location!!

zybar

Well, after talking with my local dealer and agreeing to a better price, we went with the Aspen.

I could have saved some money by going with the Optima (we wet tested it this morning as well as re-testing the Aspen), but the wife and kids really wanted the Aspen; so that's what we went with.

Thanks for all your help and comments.

George

Water Boy

Congrats George! You made a great choice, and that it a nice looking spa. Enjoy!

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
Welcome to spatopia  - may you soak long and prosper.

8)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

larryshomework

I love my Aspen and my dealer is great.  Worth the $ IMO.

Hot Tub Forum

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42