What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Going shopping again  (Read 22884 times)

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
Re: Going shopping again
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2012, 06:54:41 pm »

I hope to wet test the Majesta this week and hopefully close this process as well.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2012, 06:54:41 pm »

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2012, 02:07:28 pm »
Just as a slightly amusing FYI, went I went to the Catalina Dealer, I mentioned I've seen some positive things about them mentioned on a hot tub forum I frequent, he cautioned me to beware of such websites and companies buy their ratings.   When I did get home I noticed on Catalina's site that they are 4 star rated on pool and spa.com.   Just sayin.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

bartman9

« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2012, 03:17:17 pm »
PS, my wife actually liked the layout of one of the limelight HS spas.   I found the controls a bit cumbersome, maybe after 10 years I'm just used to having it my way. These spas had 2 pumps and I'm used to a pump #1 button and a seperate pump#2 button.  This seemed to be a press once for pump 1 low, again for high, again for pump 2, and maybe again for both?  The Vanguard controls seemed a little easier to follow and a bit more high tech than my previous tub.

We checked out this spa.  I liked the layout, but couldn't stand the LED lights above the water.  I want to relax in the hot tub, not have piercing lights in my eyes.  If it wasn't for that, it would be on our shortlist. 

TwinCitiesHotSpring

« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2012, 03:36:40 pm »
PS, my wife actually liked the layout of one of the limelight HS spas.   I found the controls a bit cumbersome, maybe after 10 years I'm just used to having it my way. These spas had 2 pumps and I'm used to a pump #1 button and a seperate pump#2 button.  This seemed to be a press once for pump 1 low, again for high, again for pump 2, and maybe again for both?  The Vanguard controls seemed a little easier to follow and a bit more high tech than my previous tub.

We checked out this spa.  I liked the layout, but couldn't stand the LED lights above the water.  I want to relax in the hot tub, not have piercing lights in my eyes.  If it wasn't for that, it would be on our shortlist.

not to state the obvious but did the salesman show you that you can dim the lights (3 different levels of brightness) in which case it is far from piercing but your mileage may vary, personally I wish manufacturers would have the option to skip lighting to save money because not everyone wants it

bartman9

« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2012, 03:58:26 pm »
No, he did not show us that (unfortunately).  We asked if you could turn the above lights off and he said no.    The lights under the water are fine, but I personally do not like LEDs above the water.  I found the rest of it very nice, but those lights were a deal breaker for us.  Others may like this, but it wasn't for us.

TwinCitiesHotSpring

« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2012, 04:09:12 pm »
No, he did not show us that (unfortunately).  We asked if you could turn the above lights off and he said no.    The lights under the water are fine, but I personally do not like LEDs above the water.  I found the rest of it very nice, but those lights were a deal breaker for us.  Others may like this, but it wasn't for us.

unfortunate that he didn't show you all the features...oh well, did you end up with a new spa yet? or are you still in the wet test stage?

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2012, 09:00:26 am »
Sundance Majesty Wednesday night.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2012, 07:06:24 am »
Sundance Majesta Wednesday night.

Wet test round 2 tonight, as mentioned we'll be in the Majesta tonight and perhaps review one of the tubs we tested. I really like the Jaccuzi 345, but my wife floated in the corner seats.  This weekend I'll be visiting my sister and her Vanguard, so that will sort of be a wet test, but we weren't yet in the market the last time we were there, so I'll make sure my wife pays attention.  With just my wife and I in the tub 99% of the time, I think one of 5 or 6 tubs would suit us fine. I think its going to be quality, looks, an deal that makes the decision.  I hope to wrap this up before September, but to be honest, we are not in a hurry.

bartman9

« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2012, 06:20:18 pm »
Looking forward to hearing how your wet test goes!

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2012, 08:34:06 pm »
We were happy to see the Majesta set up in the testing room tonight and we were the first people in it. Previously our 2 favorites were the Jacuzzi 345 and the Sundance Optima.  The Majesta is a smaller vs of the optima with no lounger.  To me, they are both about equal with jet power  and massage. I like the looks of the Jacuzzi a little more and the jet controls. I like the Sundancei user panel more as its easier to see.  For myself if I was to score the J345 as a 100, i would score the Majesta a 98.  But if my wife was to vote the Majesta a 100, she would probably vote the Jacuzzi an 85.  She floats in the corner seats even without the jets on because of how far back they recline.  Maybe that would be less with out suits, but we didn't test that in the store.  ;) But I'll bet we could of.  Again if it was me, i would probably make my choice based on price and best deal.  I really could have been comfortable in any of about 5 tubs we tried.  But with Gina being much more comfortable in the Majesta I think we will go that way from this dealer, but if he made a great offer on the Cameo with the lounger, I could go that way as well.   

So I would say its between the Majesta and the HS Vanguard. I expect offers on both by next week.

If we go with this tub it will be the Platinum tub with the Mahogony skirt.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 08:33:14 am by wmccall »

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2012, 08:40:24 pm »
FYI, this is the 10 year old Dynasty we are getting rid of.

bartman9

« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2012, 08:30:19 am »
How do you like that shell color of the Dynasty you are getting rid of?  Will you get that shade again in your new one?  We are still trying to decide on shell color/texture.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2012, 08:35:38 am »
How do you like that shell color of the Dynasty you are getting rid of?  Will you get that shade again in your new one?  We are still trying to decide on shell color/texture.

Its nice and we really like the texture and my wife would get it again in a hearbeat, but this time we are going with a lighter color with a smooth texture, mainly for the appearance with the lights on. She was a little worried the first time about the smooth surface being slippery and easy to scratch, but having had a tub for 10 years now, those fears have subsided.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2012, 03:53:22 pm »
It just occured to me, I didn't consider a shavenspa from Colorado.

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2012, 04:28:16 pm »
It just occured to me, I didn't consider a shavenspa from Colorado.

Hahah! For the record, I am a Phoenix dealer - maybe I can get them to change all the pump sizes, rearrange some of the plumbing, and set you up for delivery on the back of an old pickup truck? OK, I WAS a Phoenix dealer. Really!

But, sadly, they have closed their doors. They were actually very nice people: I'm talking about the folks at the plant and the sales team - they tried very hard to help us move some tubs. But they just didn't show all that well sitting next to HotSpring tubs - especially if I had one of the sides of the spa opened up. Which, BTW, I had no choice but doing: they sent me one spa with the siding all caved in, and when I asked for a replacement panel, they suggested I just use that spa as a display with the panel removed. It was not their wisest decision...

I tossed all my "Phoenix" shirts, posters and other stuff. Too bad: might be worth something now...

8)

http://www.redding.com/news/2011/feb/14/recession-sinks-phoenix-spas/?partner=yahoo_feeds
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2012, 04:28:16 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42