What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Any 'experts' out there with some advice for a first time tub buyer?  (Read 20573 times)

sincraft

While this may fall in the lines of beating a dead horse, I have to say - I am rather confused on what to get for a first hottub.

My biggest challenge, is how to place it without ruining the look of our 3tiered deck. I've already decided to either put it on pavers with an exit from the deck to the pavers and maybe a privacy system around the tub or, a full blown ground level matching deck with an almost gazebo like structure.

That's the hard part...

So here is the easy part, buying the tub right? WRONG.  So many choices, so many conflicting answers.

I've narrowed it down to this.

1. sundance or jacuzzi - in my area I'm told these are the best to buy from local.  Minimum at $8k for what I want.  Costco sells what appears to be 'ok' stuff but the prices for their good stuff is around jacuzzi prices, so why not go just jacuzzi name brand?  The other brands, I've never heard of that they sell local.  **IS there a LIST somewhere of items that fall into the good, better, best category?!***

2. I've read somewhere that blowers are unsafe and were phased out of tubs.  I see many tubs use air for their jets and other jets are 'hyrdo therapy' which I assume is water.  If they use air, is this considered a blower then?  If so, then I haven't found ONE tub that only uses hyrdo therapy jets.

Hot Tub Forum

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
Re: Any 'experts' out there with some advice for a first time tub buyer?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2012, 10:54:20 am »
**IS there a LIST somewhere of items that fall into the good, better, best category?!***

2. I've read somewhere that blowers are unsafe and were phased out of tubs.  I see many tubs use air for their jets and other jets are 'hyrdo therapy' which I assume is water.  If they use air, is this considered a blower then?  If so, then I haven't found ONE tub that only uses hyrdo therapy jets.

No one can say which is best and there is no LIST that categorizes all the different brands. The only real lists are those posted by individuals and everyone has their own opinion. There are multiple good brands but my short list would include Caldera, D1, Hot Spring, Jacuzzi and Sundance. It all depends on who is in your area but you've obviously got a couple of them.

I've read somewhere that blowers are unsafe and were phased out of tubs.  I see many tubs use air for their jets and other jets are 'hyrdo therapy' which I assume is water.  If they use air, is this considered a blower then?  If so, then I haven't found ONE tub that only uses hyrdo therapy jets.

"Unsafe"? I haven't heard that one. In reality you're not missing anything if you have a spa without one but if it does have one I don't see anything unsafe about them lol. Personally I wouldn't factor them into my decision either way.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

TwinCitiesHotSpring

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2012, 11:10:52 am »
I'd look at Hot Spring, Jacuzzi/Sundance, or D1 and not look back....as far as blowers I wouldn't say they were "unsafe" compared to anything else on the hottub, just very inefficient because most of the air drawn for a blower is "cold" so you can see where the problem arises when your drawing "cold" air into hot spa water.

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2012, 01:51:38 pm »
 All good advice!    Most people that have a blower on their spa don't use it often, Sundance is one of the few that offer it still.

sorebikr

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2012, 04:08:46 pm »
All good advice!    Most people that have a blower on their spa don't use it often, Sundance is one of the few that offer it still.

Agreed.  Have a sundance, blowers are operated by their own switch, and its a button we never push.  (Unless I feel like annoying the wife in the middle of winter when it can suck in 15 degree air)

Water Boy

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2012, 05:19:03 pm »
Arctic Spas still offer blowers as a option as well. Speaking of Arctic Spas, I would add them to the list of spas to look along with he others. Sorry, I couldn't resist! ;)

On a serious note though, some people like them on Arctic Spas since they are tied in with a aromatherapy canister and that scent can be smelled when the air jets are on. I don't care to much for them, but some people like them.

« Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 05:20:46 pm by Water Boy »
Arctic Spas Dealer of the Year- 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2012, 06:24:28 pm »
Arctic Spas still offer blowers as a option as well. Speaking of Arctic Spas, I would add them to the list of spas to look along with he others. Sorry, I couldn't resist! ;)

On a serious note though, some people like them on Arctic Spas since they are tied in with a aromatherapy canister and that scent can be smelled when the air jets are on. I don't care to much for them, but some people like them.

If I remember right I think thats how Sundances system works as well with aroma therapy? 
« Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 06:26:05 pm by Jacuzzi Jim »

Water Boy

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2012, 09:10:34 pm »
Yes you are right Jim. I wasn't sure, and I checked the Sundance site, and that is exactly what they do.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2012, 10:56:21 am »
Aromatherapy? Thats more meaningless than the blower itself (IMO of course).
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 10:59:40 am by Spatech_tuo »
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Water Boy

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2012, 12:25:52 pm »
I completely agree but I am sure you know why those manufactures do that. Its all about selling them hot tubs. I even tell people that I don't have one on my spa and it does nothing for me, but people still buy spas with them. Even customers that wet test them will a lot of times buy spas with them.  If people see value in it......
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 12:31:03 pm by Water Boy »

lyncch00

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2012, 08:44:59 pm »
Major brands are good.  Hot tubs sales people are like the aluminum siding salesman of yesteryear.  A lot of them (not all) will say anything to sell a tub.  Always read the fine print.  Put a hundred down to save a color means that if you change your mind you don't loose a hundred.  You loose 2,500 because the dealer could have sold it to someone else.  Read the fine print.  Chemicals co$t MUCH less online.  Delivered with defects?  Lottsa luck getting them to fix it.  I researched for a long time and got taken advantage of.  Love my tub!!  Repaired it myself.  Buying chemicals elsewhere.  MUST WET TEST!!  I sound grim but did I mention, I Love my tub?   The rebuttal on my post will most likely be from a salesperson incognito.

sincraft

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2012, 11:40:07 pm »
thanks for the replies.

So how do I know if a jet is from a blower and if the tub includes one vs the jet being warmed water type of jets?

Does anyone have any input on Costco tubs such as aquaterra, evolution or divine?

The only spa sales in my area sell Jacuzzi and Sundance for rates at least 1.5 k higher than I see people getting deals on here.  8k for a base jacuzzi with a cheapy cover.

Hot Spring Ace

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2012, 12:54:20 pm »
thanks for the replies.

So how do I know if a jet is from a blower and if the tub includes one vs the jet being warmed water type of jets?

Does anyone have any input on Costco tubs such as aquaterra, evolution or divine?

The only spa sales in my area sell Jacuzzi and Sundance for rates at least 1.5 k higher than I see people getting deals on here.  8k for a base jacuzzi with a cheapy cover.

Just ask the dealer "how many jets are blower jets that have air only?" vs how many are air AND water.

As far as Costco goes, they sell spas these days that are at varying price points so I'm not sure you can lump them all together. I'm like most where if I'm going to be paying $5000 or $6000... or $8500 for a spa I'd want to have a dealer deliver it, be there to set it up, be there to service it, etc. But for those with a more limited budget Costco does sell Aquaterra which are roto-molded spas that are durable, straight forward, easy to maintain spas that sell for as little as $2700 and are 110V plug ins. You really can't go wrong with those IMO and if you're looking for a spa in that entry level area but feel a need for a dealer look for Freeflow spas at dealers

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2012, 12:54:20 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42